6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Towed In Yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 01:44 PM
glm racers
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think that 1 or 2 faulty injectors would result in a no-start condition IMO. I'd like to hear any comments on this.

If when the key was placed in the start setting and the starter was heard running but the engine was not, then the starter would be my guest as the root cause of the problem. Are they using the smaller motor with gear reduction starters on the new PSD?

Old 05-21-2007, 02:29 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by glm racers
I don't think that 1 or 2 faulty injectors would result in a no-start condition IMO. I'd like to hear any comments on this.
With the new PCM flash strategy by FMC following the "Flame thrower" incedent, if the vehicle has 1 bad injector that is dumping excess fuel into the engine, this will cause a fire in the DPF and up the temperatures there which will trigger the PCM to shut down the engine so that proper repairs can be made. This is to prevent vehicle fires and protect occupant safety.

She stated in her first post that not only was the starter turning but the engine was turning over as well, which would rule out a starter problem.
As for a no start problem for the PSD, there are many sensors that if they fail will not allow the engine to start, and this includes a bad sensor or wire at the PCM controlled Visconic Fan Clutch. No start situations on modern computer controlled vehicles can be very hard to diagnose without a computer plugged into the OBDII port.

Hope this helps

Old 05-21-2007, 03:02 PM
glm racers
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's kinda what I wonder it would be. Thanks for the info.

Now if the PCM on the 08 PSD can back up the truck and hitch up my toy hauler automatically without any driver intervention, kinda like the new auto parallel parking Lexus, I'd trade in my 03 in a heart beat.

Last edited by glm racers; 05-21-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Paige Haddock
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blackhat620
You have described the problem perfectly. They have everything fixed and since I'm out of town (driving the old tried and true 2000 F350 4x4 dually), I had someone pick it up yesterday. He reports that it is running fine. I'll go get it Thursday. Can't wait to get back in it...That is if he doesn't hide from me so he can drive it some more!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 05:11 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Paige Haddock
Can't wait to get back in it...That is if he doesn't hide from me so he can drive it some more!!!

Glad to hear they got you all fixed up.