1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

M5OD - output "nose"/yoke bushing R&R...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 04:37 AM
moat
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M5OD - output "nose"/yoke bushing R&R...?

Howdy, folks. When replacing U-joints last year on my 2WD '94 Supercab (4.0L, 226k mi.), I happened to notice what appeared to be excessive play in the driveshaft yoke, extending from the transmission's output extension housing... grasping the installed driveshaft and yankin' it around - I'd guess between .060-.070" of lateral play, at the oil seal. Seal itself was perfect (amazingly dry, and barely perceptible wear on the pointy seal contact surface... @ 220k mi!! Replaced it anyways... just 'cause).

The yoke's bearing surface (shaft's OD) looked in excellent shape, too - no scoring, wear ridges or grooves, etc. If there was any perceptible wear - it was @ the seal's contact area... but not too much.

I'm planning to (soon) attack a noisy throwout brng/weepy slave cylinder (will be doing the whole enchilada... rear main seal, pilot brng, clutch, front trans input seal, etc.) - I figured since the tranny will be on the bench, it might be a good time to address the loose yoke "issue". It currently doesn't seem to be any problem... but I'd rather take care of it, before it becomes one.

So... anybody here ever replace the yoke/housing bearing/bushing? (I imagine it's a bronze bushing?) From a glance, it appears like the transmission rear housing should come off easy enough, via 8 or so bolts... true? Is the bushing even available? (yeah... I've been meaning to stop @ the local Ford dealer and ask... )

I'm hoping it's really just a matter of un-bolting/removing the snout, pressing the old bushing out, pressing a new one in, replacing the seal, and bolting the snout back on (with a little sealant).

Sound about right? Do I need to keep an eye out for any expensive springs or critical shims that'll go spflinging across the garage... never to be seen again?

Might be a little while 'til I get the chance to actually dig into it... it's my only (4 wheeled) vehicle (needed for 45 mi./day work commute) - I'm hopin' to get everything required together, and diving in head-first as soon as I get the chance (probably hafta' take an extra day or two-long weekend).

Thanks for any input!

Bob