Pennsylvania Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: liftnw8z

Lets remember Mom on Mothers Day..(tommorrow!!)

Old 05-12-2007, 06:08 PM
oldfart
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets remember Mom on Mothers Day..(tommorrow!!)

Well now folks since no one has posted a reminder of Mothers Day I'm fixin' to do so. Now I'm sure everyone is busy..got a lotta stuff that needs tended to. Yup, me to. I figger I do more work in a single day than most mere mortal men do in a week! And it's a long drive to Moms house..gasoline is soooo expensive. Yup...and it's gonna get even worse..trust me! Sending flowers is always nice..a card perhaps..mebbe a phone call. Still, nothing says "I love you Mom!" like showing up at her door and wrapping her up in a big ole grease covered bear-hug..eh? Well now just to encourage some of you to "gitter done" I'm fixin' to tell ya'll a very serious and personal story in the hope that you make time fer Mom this Sunday. Grab a seat and keep the kleenex handy..lemme fill my pipe and gitter going good and I'll tell this story. Back in November of 2005 I recieved a telephone call from my Pap. (step-dad) He told me I need to git up to Clearfield right away as Mom was in a rehab-center there and she wasn't doing well at all...hurry! Folks, I was dumbfounded! My Mom has never been sick..let alone in a re-hab center! (Seems she was having some serious health problems and didn't wish to upset us kids.) Long story short me and my younger brother headed to Clearfield and ran into the re-hab center where the head nurse informed us that Mom had just been taken to Clearfield Hospital via ambulance. When she left she was blue..not breathing..and presumed dead. Jimbo (younger brother) and I layed tiremarks all the way to the hospital where we found out that my step-dad had waived Moms "no resusitation order" and they layed them electric paddles on her and brought her back to life..for now. All her sons (Jimbo, Art, Audie and Greg) hovered around her weeping and praying for many hours. Pap never left her side except to go grab a bite to eat. Finally on Sunday afternoon Jimbo and I had to head back home. We both had jobs and family to support. Mom was sleeping..breathing with great difficulty and looked turrible old there in that bed. I approached the nurses station and said we had to leave now and I didn't want to wake Mom and would be back on Friday as soon as I got off work. Folks, I'll never forget that conversation. The nurse looked at me and said.."Audie..wake her up and say goodbye before you leave." I mumbled around a bit and said.."I'll be back on Friday..she's resting peaceable now and I hate to disturb her." Folks..the nurse reached out and took my hand and softly said..."Audie....wake her up and say goodbye before you leave." That's when the true meaning of her words hit me like a knife thrust thru my very soul. Say goodbye. No one who has not been in such a situation can fully understand that pain. I woke Mom up and spoke to her briefly and kissed her forehead and touched her soft gray hair. I heard her sweet voice as she told me not to fret. And I layed a river of tears from the Clearfield Hospital all the way to my home in Greencastle. Now, this story isn't over yet. Not by a long shot! More to come! Audie..the oldfart!

Old 05-12-2007, 06:35 PM
soondg
Postmaster
I'm driving up to Johnstown next weekend to see my mom and my step-father(who is fighting stage four cancer), with my eldest daughter, son in law and two of the grandchildren.Your right Audie, you got to get the I Love You's in while you can. I told my step-father how important a role he played in me becoming the man that I am today. he discounted it but I had to tell him anyway, also his brother played a pivotal role in steering me straight, I thanked him too. Their old and sick and I felt compelled to let them know before either of them died that at least in one little instance they made a difference.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:44 PM
oldfart
Senior User
Well folks if yer still following this story let me give ya'll an update. Mom was a helluva lot tougher than them doctors and nurses figgered. Mebbe all them prayers had something to do with it to. In any case Mom finally got well enough to come back home. Pap slept in a chair next to her bed for 9 months while she recovered. She's lost 150lbs. (much of the problem was being over-weight) and is walking nearly every day..up to 1 mile! She looks better now than she did when she was 50. I drove the 125mi. up to Curwensville today..spent 5 hours with her and Pap and returned home smiling. On July 19..2006 there was a photo posted in The Progress Newspaper of my Mom and one of the nurses...planting flowers in remembrance of those who did not survive during that time. It is rumored that photo may grace a billboard alongside Rt. 322 coming into Clearfield soon! That's my Mom! Now..pick up the phone, fill up the gastank and head fer yer Moms house this Sunday. No excuses. Audie..longwinded as usual. P.S. to all who have lost a loved one I offer up my heartfelt condolences.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:50 PM
soondg
Postmaster
Once again Audie, you brought the point home, thanks.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:01 PM
oldfart
Senior User
Originally Posted by soondg
I'm driving up to Johnstown next weekend to see my mom and my step-father(who is fighting stage four cancer), with my eldest daughter, son in law and two of the grandchildren.Your right Audie, you got to get the I Love You's in while you can. I told my step-father how important a role he played in me becoming the man that I am today. he discounted it but I had to tell him anyway, also his brother played a pivotal role in steering me straight, I thanked him too. Their old and sick and I felt compelled to let them know before either of them died that at least in one little instance they made a difference.
Aye Joe, like yourself I have many to thank. And, like yourself my step-dad is highest on my list. He married a divorced woman. Not acceptable at that time..especially for followers of the Catholic faith. And she had 3 sons..which he raised..and still does after 40 years. He gave up his place in the church, was chastized by his family and stilll persevered. All because of love. In all those years he never introduced me or any of my brothers as "her sons"...he always said.."These are my sons.." Though he did not plant the seed, he raised the crop as though it was his own. And I am forever grateful to him for that. And he set a fine example. All of his sons now own their own homes, have good jobs and bring their grandchildren to his knee. And I think we all own Fords now!! I can only hope to follow his example and be half the man he is. Audie...lost in my thoughts..

Search this Thread