Ironwoodsmith
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is a manual valve body anyway? Joe

Old 05-10-2007, 10:49 AM
pud
Posting Guru
makes an auto tranny need to be shifted manually.....like 1,2,3,od,3,2,1. You can get them so they shift automatically and manually also, and they also make them so your gears go P-R-N-1-2-3-OD, which is called a reverse pattern.

I was just wondering because sometimes thoughts pop into my head, and the thought this time was it would sure do away with all the electronics in an E4OD, but I havent been able to find one.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would not take that much to figure out. You would need a wiring diagram to see which wires in the harness shift what gears if you want full manual electric shift control.

With the TC Lock modification I made to my truck I now have manual control of the TC Lock. I already have OD On/Off control which allows me to go to third (direct drive)

All I would need is to follow the wires that shift 2nd and 1st and I would have complete manual electric shift control.

However I can already force manual 2nd and 1st with the shift lever; so if you think about it by adding the TC Lock modification that has been discussed in this Forum and using your shift lever you do have full manual shift control and can also use your TC lock as a gear splitter. For a discussion on how to set up the TC Lock control go to:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...ml#post3388209

All it takes is to add two toggle switches and a bit of wiring and you can have full manual shift control of your E4OD (albeit, not completely electric)

Seb.....

Old 05-10-2007, 11:06 AM
pud
Posting Guru
sounds cool...point to my thought was to do away with as much wiring as possible lol. I dont even know if thats possible, and its not something Im trying to do even. Just a thought. I dont think the design of the tranny will allow for a full manual valve body tho.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pud
sounds cool...point to my thought was to do away with as much wiring as possible lol. I dont even know if thats possible, and its not something Im trying to do even. Just a thought. I dont think the design of the tranny will allow for a full manual valve body tho.
I have not seen anybody offer a "manual" valve body. The electronic valve bodies are good and the solenoids shift the various gears so I don't think that there is any incentive for somebody to develop an manual body.

Welcome to the world of electronics. Although the tranny controller is a black box, you could just bypass it completely and using the five or six solenoids on the solenoid pack shift the tranny completely manually.

Seb....

Old 05-10-2007, 12:18 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are five solenoids in the e4od, only two control shifting, another one is for the lockup clutch, and a fourth one is for the coast clutch. But the most tricky patr of it all would be the EPC solenoid, which controles line pressure based on driving conditions, I guess you could try to rig a throttle cable like the AOD......

For fully automatic function, you would have to figure out a way of telling the transmission how fast it is going so it can time it's shift. The C6 did this mechanicly, but to do this in the E4 could be dificult since the solenoid body is faily compact, and there is not much extra room in the tranny for servos.

I'm not a big fan of electronics either, but after trying a programable TCS, it is starting to grow on me.