Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Illinois Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Illinois Chapter Join Chapter Leader: KOESTNER

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2007, 07:45 PM
FTE is my crack

jake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant future
chicagoese

Do you speak Chicagoese?

1. Grachki (grach'-key): Chicagoese for "garage key" as in, "Yo, Theresa, waja do wit da grachki? Howmy supposta cut da grass if I can't git intada grach?"

2. Sammich: Chicagoese for sandwich. When made with sausage, it's a sassage sammich; when made with shredded beef, it's an Italian Beef sammich, a local delicacy consisting of piles of spicy meat in a perilously soggy bun.

3. Da: This article is a key part of Chicago speech, as in "Da Bears" or "Da Mare" (the latter denoting Richard M. Daley, or Richie, as he's often called).

4. Jewels: Not family heirlooms or a tender body region, but a popular name for one of the region's dominant grocery store chains. "I'm goin' to Jewels to pick up some sassage."

5. Field's (unfortunately, now Macys): Marshall Field, a prominent Chicago department store. Also Carson Pirie Scott, another major department store chain, is simply called "Carson's."

6. Tree: The number between two and four. "We were lucky dat we only got tree inches of snow da udder night."

7. Over by dere: Translates to "over by there," a way of emphasizing a site presumed familiar to the listener. As in, "I got the sassage at Jewels down on Kedzie, over by dere."

8. Kaminski Park: The mispronounced name of the ballpark where the Chicago White Sox (da Sox) play baseball. Comiskey Park was recently renamed U.S. Cellular Field (da Cell).

9. Frunchroom: As in, "Getottada frunchroom wit dose muddy shoes."It's not the "parlor." It's not the "living room." In the land of the bungalow, it's the "frunchroom," a named derived, linguists believe, from "front room."

10. Use: Not the verb, but the plural pronoun 'you!' "Where use goin'?"

11. Downtown: Anywhere near Da Lake, south of Da Zoo (Lincoln Park Zoo) and north of Soldier Field.

12. The Lake: Lake Michigan. (What other lake is there?) It's often used by local weathermen, "cooler by Da Lake."

13. BoysTown: A section on Halsted between Belmont and Addison which is lined with gay bars both sides of the street. "Didn't I see use in BoysTown in front of da Manhole?"

14. Braht: Short for Bratwurst. "Gimme a braht wit kraut."

15. Goes: Past or present tense of the verb "say." For example, "Then he goes, 'I like this place'!"

16. Guys: Used when addressing two or more people, regardless of each individual's gender.

17. Pop: A soft drink. Don't say "soda" in this town. "Do ya wanna canna pop?"

18. Sliders : Nickname for hamburgers from White Castle, a popular midwestern burger chain. "Dose sliders I had last night gave me da runs."

19. The Taste: Da Taste of Chicago Festival , a huge extravaganza in Grant Park featuring samples of Chicagoland cuisine which takes place each year around the Fourth of July holiday.

20. "Jieetyet?": Translates to, "Did you eat yet?"

21. Winter and Construction: Punch line to the joke, "What are the two seasons in Chicago?"

22. Cuppa Too-Tree: is Chicagoese for "a couple, two, three" which really means "a few." For example, "Hey Mikey, dere any of dem beerz left in da cooler over by dere?" "Yeh, a cuppa too-tree."

23. 588-2300: Every one in Chicago knows this commercial jingle and the carpet company you'll get if you call that number -- Empire! (Famous or their salesmen using 30 inch yard sticks to measure your home for carpeting).

24. Junk Djor: You will usually find the 'junk dr aw er' in the kitchen filled to the brim with miscellaneous... but very important junk.

25. Southern Illinois: Anything south of I-80.

26. Expressways: The Interstates in the immediate Chicagoland area are usually known just by their 'name' and not their Interstate number: Da Dan Ryan ("Da Ryan"), da Stevenson, da Kennedy, da Eisenhower (da "Ike"), and da Edens.

27. Gym Shoes: The rest of the country may refer to them as sneakers for running shoes, but Chicagoans will always call them gym shoes!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Postmaster

BobbyDiesel71 has a very good reputation on FTE.BobbyDiesel71 has a very good reputation on FTE.BobbyDiesel71 has a very good reputation on FTE.
very funny
02 F-350 lariat srw,supercab longbed 4x4 FX4
[i][color=blue]Transgo Tugger II, TRU-COOL 4739, AFE stage II intake, Bully Dog 5" turbo back exhaust
Old 05-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Junior User

nemesis2005gt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gotta love it.
"Beatrix" - 71 Datsun 240Z: The long term, detroy all project car
Old 05-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Senior User

slisty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That is so funny and true at the same time. LOL
Old 05-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Elder User

Fastronald is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chicago

Gotta lov it..............dez, dem, n doz guyz over derr.

Warz ur carr man?

Gunna warsh dah carr too.

Dat gurl iz hot.

To ALL my fellow Veterans, Thanks!

U.S. Army 1971 - 1974

Founding F.T.E. Illinois Chapter Leader - 2004 - 2005
Old 05-14-2007, 06:01 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Illinois Chapter

Tags
chicagoese, speak