General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

The Rocket returns, Will he bail out the Bronx Bombers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 11:31 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Rocket returns, Will he bail out the Bronx Bombers?

seems he likes a challenge http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6...PHCP&GT1=10035

Old 05-06-2007, 11:49 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
I am glad he didn't come to Boston...

He usually chokes when the pressure gets to tough..

Steinbrenner is just trying to inject some life back into the Yankees..

I don't think he is going to do much except get a paycheck..

Last edited by donjamer; 05-06-2007 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:55 AM
T-B_MN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donjamer
I am glad he didn't come to Boston...

He usually chokes when the pressure gets to tough..

Steinbrenner is just trying to inject some life back into the Yankees..

I don't think he is going to do much except get a paycheck..
I agree. This is why i don't like the yankees

Old 05-07-2007, 08:56 AM
hawk
Posting Guru
ah the MVP of the league responds!! the MVP being Stineys wallett, however the Rocket will Choke!

Old 05-07-2007, 09:22 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, if you can buy a championship, why not? What G.S. has never figured out, though, is that you can't buy a TEAM.

Jason

Old 05-07-2007, 09:47 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Of all the active pitchers in the game, Clemens has the best stare of anyone. He brings an element to the Yankees that they haven't had for a while- attitude. While I doubt he gets more than 25 starts this year, he will do a lot for the pitching staff with his experience and he has stated that he plans on passing on muchof that exerience to the younger guys. The funny thing about the deal, though, is that Steinbrenner is paying about $18 mill for the Rocket, and another $7 mill to the league in luxury tax! He is paying more luxury tax (on Clemens, alone) than most players earn in a season! That's a bunch of money to spend on second place!

Old 05-07-2007, 11:58 AM
FTE Jason
Site Administrator

Originally Posted by stu37d
That's a bunch of money to spend on second place!
The irony is this statement comes from a Braves fan....

Old 05-07-2007, 12:42 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
I just realized the Yankees are giving a whole new meaning to the term Bronx Bombers by being in LAST place..

Old 05-07-2007, 01:56 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by FTE Jason
The irony is this statement comes from a Braves fan....
...Ouch...

Well, once again for the uneducated among us:
The Braves have established themselves as the perennial (14 in a row) divisional champs of the NL East. How have they done that? They have done it by using the talent from their own farm system, not opening the bottomless pocketbook of the owner/ benefactor who pays more in luxury tax to the league than most other teams pay in total payroll. Sure, if the owner of the Braves had an endless supply of money, and was willing to go out and BUY the talent, instead of developing it, then they might also have 26 world championships. In light of last years debacle of a season, I am actually glad that the Braves finished the way they did. It forced their GM to go out and FINALLY fix the pitching problem. And they did it the correct way- they traded some of their home grown talent for some relief pitching.

But back to the topic (you can start a Braves Bashing thread if you want). I still feel that Clemens is an amazing pitcher (and a pretty amazing person, physically speaking) but he isn't going to win a series by himself. He will do a lot to move the organization in the right direction, but is simply making a boatload of money for only having to pitch half a season. If you ask me, he and his agent are playing the Yankees.

I just realized the Yankees are giving a whole new meaning to the term Bronx Bombers by being in LAST place..
That's pretty funny.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:43 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Clemens should completely pull the plug and not just be driven by money. I would hate to see him completely fail considering the player he used to be. The Yankees have to start rethinking the way they run a ball club and follow the examples of teams like Oakland, Minnesota, and Florida. Putting a quality club on the field year after year without spending the dollars the Yankees do.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:54 PM
FTE Jason
Site Administrator

Originally Posted by stu37d
...Ouch...

Well, once again for the uneducated among us:

The Braves have established themselves as the perennial (14 in a row) divisional champs of the NL East..
That right there is the difference, you keep winning your D Titles, I like those WS Titles myself. You must be a Buffalo Bills Fan with thinking like that...

How have they done that? They have done it by using the talent from their own farm system, not opening the bottomless pocketbook of the owner/ benefactor who pays more in luxury tax to the league than most other teams pay in total payroll. Sure, if the owner of the Braves had an endless supply of money, and was willing to go out and BUY the talent, instead of developing it, then they might also have 26 world championships. .

Uh..didn't Ted Turner one of the richest guys in the world own the Braves for quite a long time...so the Yankees spend money, so what, they have built themselves into the most recognized name in sports. If the owner chooses to spend his money to put a winner on the field to compete for the world series year after year then so be it, not sure about you but I want a winner running my team.

They have done it by using the talent from their own farm system,
Ok, I am calling you on this one, let's compare.

you can start a Braves Bashing thread if you want).
No desire to bash them, go to the games , like the Braves and Frenchie and Mcann and co, just love my Yanks.

I still feel that Clemens is an amazing pitcher (and a pretty amazing person, physically speaking) .
Yeah, its called HGH.

but he isn't going to win a series by himself. He will do a lot to move the organization in the right direction, but is simply making a boatload of money for only having to pitch half a season. .
Agreed.

Last edited by FTE Jason; 05-07-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:16 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

I certainly am not suggesting that Divisional titles are even close to ws titles. Just making a point is all. I like several of the players (most of them, actually) on the Yanks, I just don't like the way Steinbrenner gets his talent. They are, without a doubt, the most recognized team in the world. There is tons of history attached to the team as well, and, as I've stated in the past, given the opportunity to go to Yankee Stadium to watch a game, I'll be there!

As far as the Rocket, though, are you suggesting that he is on the juice? (HGH is just another form of juice, right?)

Old 05-07-2007, 07:08 PM
ranger1999 Bob
Posting Guru
I think the rocket is a fine pitcher, but i think he is past his prime. It will be interesting to see if he is worth all the BS it took to get him to the yanks. Personally im a METS fan. I do not root for the yankees but i will say they have one of the finest coaches ever in the game of Baseball in Joe Torre, and they have alot of talent although most of it is way overpaid. Personally i think Steinbrenner is a bum. I dont agree with his ways and i think the best thing to happen to the yankees will be when he is out of any part of the team. As to allegations of steroids i feel any player who is found to be on them they should be banned for life from baseball and i dont care from which team they come from. Sports figures are role models for our children and frankly in the last twenty years there are very few in any sport worth emulating

Old 05-07-2007, 07:56 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Originally Posted by ranger1999 Bob
i think he is past his prime.
not much past it, his lowest era was 2 yers ago

Old 05-07-2007, 08:08 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
He did a great job down in Houston. He would have won more if his team could back him up. Many of his no decisions and loses came from the Astros only scoring 1 or 2 runs. Not many pitchers can win if their team can't score.

I think Clemens is a great pitcher and he may be past his prime, but he still can throw. At 44 going on 45 years of age, he is probably still one of the better pitchers out there. He will bring something to the Yanks. Right now the Yanks pitching is hurting. He is going to be an influence no matter what. With the lineup the Yankees have, they will still win if Clemens can at least hold the other team under 4 runs for 6 innings. As long as the bullpen can hold it together for him. You know, Clemens can be an awesome bullpen pitcher too. Come out for a couple innings late in the game.

Quick Reply: The Rocket returns, Will he bail out the Bronx Bombers?