6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Hot Shot's Secret - Oil Additive

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:39 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mrxlh
Yeah, does the phrase "clean one owner" come to mind?
Yep only driven on Sunday

Old 05-18-2007, 12:25 AM
Swift193
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmy-six
I have an "04 with no known injector issues, Are they right around the corner? I wish I knew. For a bottle of the "magic elixer" using 1/2 a bottle every 2nd or 3 oil change I may never know. I don't drive it every day and this is not good. So far this seems like something for me and what I do with my PS.......
I have a farely new truck (2400mi) so I hope I don't need HHS for a while. This is my first diesel and I've heard this before about not driving it every day being bad for the engine. I am retired and do not drive everyday. When I do take the truck out I make sure it gets good and hot. It's not a grocery cart. Most of the time when I take it I go to the airport or Hagerstown which are both about 70+ miles away with some shorter trips in between. What harm can come to the engine by not driving it everyday? I feel very lucky if I get to fly my plane once a week (it is often more time in between flights) and I have never had a problem with those engines. If I plan on leaving the plane sit longer than a month I pickle the top end. What bad things can happen to a diesel and how can they be corrected. Would HHS help this? Thanks, Rex

Old 05-18-2007, 08:03 AM
offshore1
Senior User
I ordered 2 bottles. Not sure if I have issues, but occasionally the truck will "miss" under strong acceleration.
I figure this is good preventive maintanence.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Chris Gabe
Former Vendor
Swift,
I am not sure if this is the right thing for you. These guys seem to be a lot smarter about the mechanics of things than I am. The 2 things that come to mind are: 1. You will have moisture in your system from letting is sit. Condensation will build up. 2. When you drive it you are going to build up acids in the oil. Then you are going to let it sit. While it is sitting the acids will build up. They would deplete the motor oil prematurely. So even though you only show 3000 the oil will still be spent. That is why the manufacturers say change oil every 3000 miles or 3 months on a car. I would say change your oil more frequently or add something like the 480M Ultraguard. Just a half quart per oil change. It would help fortify the detergents and dispersants and nuetralize some of the acid you would be building up.
Thanks,
Chris

Old 05-19-2007, 04:35 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by mrxlh
Yeah, does the phrase "clean one owner" come to mind?
LOL--actually the referred to truck is a clean one owner. It just has that cursed rain crow with it all the time.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:28 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just want to say thanks to Chris; recieved my sample bottles of Hot Shot's Secret today. I will test them out hopefully by next week and will most certainly post the results here.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:41 AM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Should have mine this week as well. It got cold here again, down to the 30s at night, started truck this morning, it did the romp thing and sounded kinda rough for a few seconds. Hopefully this will go bye bye with some HSS

Old 05-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Reidicus
Senior User
HSS has been in now for two weeks. Still no change in startup. Missfire, smoke, ect. But when warm, shes an OX and shes goes. NO sign of any missfiring. Or smoke.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Chris Gabe
Former Vendor
Reidicus,
Aside from the startup, is the truck running better? Was it misfiring before?
Thanks,
Chris

Old 05-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Reidicus
Senior User
Haven't had any trouble with missfiring when warm but it does feel more responsive when I hit the pedal. Also had a boost leak fixed this past week so it could of been that as well. So still looking for a sign of improvement on starts.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:37 AM
66f25red
Senior User
Stupid question here:
Does this "hot shot" address coking of nozzle, like the product "Redline" did with Bosch injectors?

Old 05-22-2007, 12:24 PM
msgtg
Post Fiend
WOW, what a thread!

One thing I haven't seen in all of the posts...has anyone had Blackstone run a report on it yet? It doesn't sound like anyone's had the oil in for more than a single oil change cycle yet.

I'd be interested in seeing what a report says after use.

Thanks!

Joe

Old 05-22-2007, 03:28 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
Originally Posted by Swift193
I have a farely new truck (2400mi) so I hope I don't need HHS for a while. This is my first diesel and I've heard this before about not driving it every day being bad for the engine. I am retired and do not drive everyday. When I do take the truck out I make sure it gets good and hot. It's not a grocery cart. Most of the time when I take it I go to the airport or Hagerstown which are both about 70+ miles away with some shorter trips in between. What harm can come to the engine by not driving it everyday? I feel very lucky if I get to fly my plane once a week (it is often more time in between flights) and I have never had a problem with those engines. If I plan on leaving the plane sit longer than a month I pickle the top end. What bad things can happen to a diesel and how can they be corrected. Would HHS help this? Thanks, Rex
Rex: You can also switch over to the new CJ4 rated oil as soon as possible and possibly avoid the injection issues. I know CJ4 was formulated for less soot and greater resistance to oil shearing (viscosity break down). If you want to take it a measure further, go with Beach's theory and run a synthetic. I myself think the CJ4 and 5k mile OCs will be enough to keep the injectors purring along. I have actively resisted either of the flashes being put in my truck to "cure" injector stiction (is that how it's spelled?!) and my truck starts and runs great! Of course with only 6000 miles on it...

my $.02 worth (oh, and I'm not an additive kind of guy either -- worked too close to this stuff for close to 30 years at a major oil co...)

Old 05-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Reidicus
Senior User
My stiction issues happend after I switched over to synthetic. So I have been running 5w40 Duron Synthetic for over a year and a half now and the problem came up when working up north using red diesel. about a month later and I started having cold start problems. (bout -25C most of the time). When I got back, I immediately changed the oil, oil filters, fuel filters, ran some cetane booster and some additives. Still nothing worked to get rid of it. Not even the latest flash. Now HSS is my only hope to save me some $$$.

So maybe synthetic wont help with stiction?? My truck does have high mileage but runs great after warming up.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:52 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
Interesting. I wonder what the expected MTBF is of our injectors (average life expectancy, as in cycles) is? I wonder if International considers 200k miles about the life they expected them to run for...

If yours are worn out, I doubt the secret sauce will help any, Reidicus. As I understand it, the "design" of the product is for a contaminated or residual state (lubricating oil remnants coked on, burnished on, etc.), but if the mated parts don't match anymore...

Good luck to you, in any case.

On edit, and on another thought: have you considered going back to a non-syn oil?

Quick Reply: Hot Shot's Secret - Oil Additive