6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Hot Shot's Secret - Oil Additive

Old 05-17-2007, 10:02 AM
wiingnut
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Good info guys. I'm interested in seeing future results of anyone who uses the product. This product could save many of us lots of $ and headaches if it works as posted.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:59 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4Mark
The requirement for CJ-4 oil or ULSD compliant fuel is totally independent of what type of injector a truck has in it.
Mark
Yes you are correct, the injector type has nothing to do with CJ-4 oil or ULSD compliance and i am fully aware of that fact also

My post regarding the Injectors and ULSD compliant products was specifically toward the fact the the 6.4L (ULSD & CJ-4 Gov't Required) has Piezo Electric injectors, NOT oil fired injectors like the 7.3L & 6.0L, (Neither of these engines are required to run ULSD or CJ-4 compliant products).
The 6.4L engine will Not have stiction issues, do to the Piezo Electric injectors. Furthermore HSS would do nothing for the injectors in the 6.4L

The ULSD & CJ-4 requirements are to prevent plugging of the DPF and damage to other emissions parts on the new 6.4L engine. And are required to be run in all 2007 diesel engines.

Eventually all diesel fuel sold in the US will be ULSD, but that does not mean in the 7.3L & 6.0L engine you cannot run CI-4 rated oil or any additives that are not ULSD compliant that may produce to much soot, as you do not have to worry about poisoning a DPF on these motors.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Chris Gabe
Former Vendor
Blackhat,
I don't think the CJ4 is government regulated. The CJ4 is an API spec. I would think that if you used the wrong oil it would be an issue between the manufacturer and the owner. ULSD is an enviromental issue regulated by the Government. I did a Google search and couldn't find anything about gov. regulations and CJ4. It might be interesting to note that a lot of the fuel being sold now is ULSD. The oil co. can sell ULSD as low or high sulfur fuel. They just can't sell low and high as ULSD. Many of our test show the high and low have only 15 - 20 ppm of sulfur. I think that the refiners get rid of off spec ULSD by dumping it in the ohter fuels.
Chris

Old 05-17-2007, 12:50 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Chris Gabe Lube Specialties
Blackhat,
I don't think the CJ4 is government regulated. The CJ4 is an API spec. I would think that if you used the wrong oil it would be an issue between the manufacturer and the owner. ULSD is an enviromental issue regulated by the Government. I did a Google search and couldn't find anything about gov. regulations and CJ4. It might be interesting to note that a lot of the fuel being sold now is ULSD. The oil co. can sell ULSD as low or high sulfur fuel. They just can't sell low and high as ULSD. Many of our test show the high and low have only 15 - 20 ppm of sulfur. I think that the refiners get rid of off spec ULSD by dumping it in the ohter fuels.
Chris
Technically you are correct, as the Government does not regulate engine oil standards, the CJ-4 spec oil was developed by the engine manufactures along with API to provide an oil that would be low ash and not contain high levels of sulfer that would poison the DPF and cause emissions problems. Basically by the Govt requiring reduced diesel emissions & lower sulfer amounts in the diesel fuel, this also required the oil manufactures to lower sulfer content in engine oil, among other additives to meet emissions standards and lower soot output. So in a broad way, the Govt new emissions standards forced the formulation of CJ-4 oil.
API is just the agency that licenses the oil standard to the oil manufactures and maintains watch of compliance with the standards. ASTM is responsible for diesel fuel meeting the ULSD standards.

Yes you can sell ULSD fuel as both ULSD & LSD but you cannot sell LSD fuel as ULSD. There are still many areas that have both ULSD and LSD(500 ppm) fuel available until all the refiners stocks are depleted.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:10 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
so basicaly H.S.S. just acts to remove "oxidized" deposits from the oil piston side of the injector's? sounds reasonably fesible to me!

Old 05-17-2007, 01:15 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hotroddsl
so basicaly H.S.S. just acts to remove "oxidized" deposits from the oil piston side of the injector's? sounds reasonably fesible to me!
Likewise.

I called Chris yesterday and had a fairly lengthy discussion of which has led me to believe there is definately something to all of this. I'll most certainly be putting my bet toward positive results over negative ones; but time will tell as I have a few bottles on the way.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:18 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
Likewise.

I called Chris yesterday and had a fairly lengthy discussion of which has led me to believe there is definately something to all of this. I'll most certainly be putting my bet toward positive results over negative ones; but time will tell as I have a few bottles on the way.
Outstanding, nothing like a good solid test on a gently used PSD.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:18 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
I just cant see a down side to it if it dosent work you get youre money back! if it does work you save thousands!! DUH!!!

Old 05-17-2007, 01:32 PM
4x4Mark
Senior User
I'm going to give it a try -I don't think I have any injector problems, just some variation in performance based upon temp (better warm). With 60k on my engine, this should at least ensure my injectors don't have any build up that could adversely effect them downstream.

Mark

Old 05-17-2007, 01:49 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Boy what a thread. After reading all of it I believe we are missing part of what Chris was saying without the ability to say it without possible repercussions. Heres my take.

Manufacturer: "Make me a product I can add to the crankcase of these engines that will stop all these warrentee injector issues. By the way make it for a 15 qt engine"

Sounds to me that Ford or International or both wanted a product the dealer could pour in the crancase to eliminate a problem which arose causing many warentee $$$'s to go away.

It's sound to me that this product did this but misc other issues came up and Chris did not want to sit on his hands.

I have an "04 with no known injector issues, Are they right around the corner? I wish I knew. For a bottle of the "magic elixer" using 1/2 a bottle every 2nd or 3 oil change I may never know. I don't drive it every day and this is not good. So far this seems like something for me and what I do with my PS.

Chris says to add the whole 64 oz. when there is a know problem. I feel it's the same as a doctor giving me a hot shot for an ailiment and then continue with a lower dosage till it clears up.

Anyway I'll keep reading and I did buy a jug and I'm going to put half of it in. Right after I drain a qt. out....Good Luck

Old 05-17-2007, 09:04 PM
tj.brewster
Senior User
I just did an oil change last weekend and added the HHS. I drive this truck every day to work and back 100mi round trip 5-6 days a week. Unfortunately I won't know if my cold start issues have been fixed or not because the temps here wil be between 70-110 til September.

However the truck does start better and runs better. I usually had to let it warm up for a few minutes for it to run right, now it runs great from the start.

The bad I changed my oil went into the house to wash up, came outside and my right front tire was flat..............Chris you got some splainin to do :=)

Thus far I think it was a good choice. I run B100 90% of the time and my truck has over 2ook on the clock so if this buys me some time I say great and give it a try.

TJ

Old 05-17-2007, 09:22 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
see Beechbum was right it will damage youre truck.......or tires, lol

Old 05-17-2007, 09:29 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tj.brewster
I run B100 90% of the time and my truck has over 2ook on the clock so if this buys me some time I say great and give it a try.TJ
Quit your going to spoil all the theories of the guys who say the 6.0 is junk & won't last.

Here you have a 2003 6.0PSD with 200+K miles on it and you run B100 for over 180+K miles and you are still going strong, what are all the naysayers going to do.
Must be do to all the cold weather in AZ.

Keep us posted on your results with HSS.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:14 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Man my truck is really starting to run like a dog, Im scared to pull next to another diesel at a light boost is reading good, Im ording some HSS tomarrow!!!!!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:27 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Originally Posted by blackhat620
Outstanding, nothing like a good solid test on a gently used PSD.
Yeah, does the phrase "clean one owner" come to mind?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hot Shot's Secret - Oil Additive