6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Hot Shot's Secret - Oil Additive

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 09:29 AM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we should wait to pass judgement til we see the data sheet on it. Chris, you'll never get an endorsement ffrom Ford/IH, but you may be able to get it API certified. Then again you may not, due to some of the different additives. Motorcraft 5W50 does not meet API CJ-4 because of some of the add pack messes with the cat on the 6.4. and might cause the 6.0 EGR to malfunction due to soot. According to the spectrum analysis run by Blackstone, it would far exceed the minimum requirements of CJ oil if not for the EPA mandates. This might be another route, independent testing. This group here in the 6.0 forum are a tough bunch, we have to be.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by blackhat620
But, if you read what Hot Shot's Secret is supposed to be used for according to Chris, it is only to be used to solve a current injector problem. If you are not having problems, it would be unwise to use it. If you are having injector problems and the Hot Shot's Secret is used, it may solve your problem. If it doesn't work, you are only out the cost of the product, as you are still going to need to have the injectors replaced.

If it was me and i was looking at paying to replace injectors or trying this product, i may very well try the product.

Just my $.02
In retro-spec... I guess I would agree with this statement and would probably do the same thing to solve an injector issue... small price to pay to get them "sticky" injectors to work right.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by Chris Gabe Lube Specialties
By the way, does that Excursion have more room than the Suburban. I have 6 kids and have been looking to get rid of the Suburban but I can't find anything that can seat all 8 of us comfortably.
Chris
The Excursion is wider and longer than a Suburban. I have the middle-row bench seat, so my Excursion holds 8 people...

2 - Front (mom and dad)
3 - Middle (3 people)
3 - Back (3 people)
-------
8 - Total people hauled in comfort

By the way... 6 kids????

Maybe you could get yourself a Partridge Family bus (used) with the 6.0L VT365/ International diesel in it!!!!

Last edited by Maxium4x4; 05-14-2007 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Cleaned up a little for Jeff
Old 05-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by kw5413
The part that bothers me... one bottle of HSS (64oz) replaces nearly 25% of the total oil capacity (17 quarts?) of this engine. It has to change the operating characteristics of whatever oil you are using....for better or worse. Personally, I would not want to risk an engine to save an injector or two. But, that's just me.

Does anyone know if "The Oil Guy" has looked at this product yet?
Wow... I did not catch that part!!!

Are the directions to add the whole bottle/can or just a percentage?

No way can someone add that much and not upset the chemistry of what Chevron, Mobil, Shell, Schaffers and even Amsoil's products!!!

There is no way (common sense) that if I am using CJ4 or CI4+ oil that adding that much of an "additive" isn't going to affect the API rating... and there are NO additves (on their own) that can meet the API certification of CI4+ or CJ4... heck they would be an oil and not an additive!!!

Old 05-13-2007, 10:45 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
Are the directions to add the whole bottle/can or just a percentage?
According to the information i have been able to read, 64 ounce bottle treats up to 6 Gallons (24 quarts is almost 2 oil changes) so i would say add 2.67 ounces per quart of oil. So if i did my math correctly add 1 Quart of Hot Secret to 12.5 Quarts engine oil and you should be at the cross hatch on the dipstick. That works out i believe to 92.6% Oil in the crankcase and 7.4% Additive.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:53 PM
BobsF350
Elder User
WOW that guys stuff aint cheap

Old 05-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by BobsF350
WOW that guys stuff aint cheap
Miracles in a can never are.

Just for the record... I am a skeptic and when a new additive hits the market or FTE... I ask 1,000 questions and the "too good to be true" shield goes up.

Just seems odd that the addition of this additive doesn't change the chemistry or add-pack of the brand of oil in use?

Seems odd that in post #39, the seller of this additive would look into CI4+ or CJ4 API certs... when oils get certified and not additives? Heck, if it meets this spec.. then it is an oil and not and additive (seems like a rooky marketing mistake... that concerns me????

The seller also states in post #36 that their additive was never tested with synthetics... now that scares me as a user of synthetic motor oil. Or does using synthetic oil clear up or reduce injector problems and switching to 100% synthetic oil the way to go as it is cheaper than this additive being added to convential oil?

For the record... and not trying to "rain on this retailers parade"... but there are a lot of questions to be answered, websites to be updated (duh) and the like before I would even suggest someone using this stuff and promoting it as the "savior" to sticky injectors.

Come to think of it... when was the last post or poster that has had injector(s) problems when running 100% synthetic oil - 5W-40 (ie. Chevron, Shell, Mobil and the like) and OEM/Racor oil filters and changing every 5,000 - 7,500 miles... am I missing someone or something??

Thanks,

Old 05-14-2007, 07:20 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by blackhat620
According to the information i have been able to read, 64 ounce bottle treats up to 6 Gallons (24 quarts is almost 2 oil changes) so i would say add 2.67 ounces per quart of oil. So if i did my math correctly add 1 Quart of Hot Secret to 12.5 Quarts engine oil and you should be at the cross hatch on the dipstick. That works out i believe to 92.6% Oil in the crankcase and 7.4% Additive.
From their own website..."This bottle treats a standard 15 quart system".

Don't know what else to tell you.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:31 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?

We'll probably now hear that this is a mistake on their website and will need to be updated just like the oil certs from CH to CI4 or CJ4!!!!

If this quantity holds true.... that's a lot of additive for a 15qt system!!!

I think that this additive brand has a lot to learn and get up to speed on before promoting its products. Heck, I might start selling my own line of "Beachbumcook's miracle oil additive and it is so concenrtrated that only 1 ounce will treat your 15qt 6.0L system!!!

The cost will be enough to cover my twin boy's college fund and I have tested it extensively while drinking beer with my friends and I claim that it will cure everything wrong with the 6.0L motor.

Now for some of you.... you will buy it since the $100.00/bottle (for 1 ounce) is cheaper than a motor re-build and since I claim that it works.... some of you guys will buy it!!! Oh, by the way... I tested it on many oil types... just not synthetics... even though a lot of synthetic oils get used in the 6.0L motor and are offered by the majors and few other brands discussed at length here at FTE!!!

Keep in mind that FTE does not endorse or test any or all products.. they are "money making" website looking for advertisers... this brand/company is just one of many... again... "buyer beware" and remember.... you better be willing to play if your play with this stuff"!!!! Use it... and you will throw-off your oils chemical add-pack... common sense says so.. matter the claims!!!

Old 05-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Chris Gabe
Former Vendor
Wow,
I took 2 days off and I missed a whole lot. I read the last 10 post adn I want to try and answer some questions and add some insite. Let me knowif I miss anything.
1. Hot Shot's Secret is compatible with synthetic. We just never needed to use it with vehicles using synthetic. The problem doesn't seem to occur at least not in the areas we were testing in.
2. Don't be concerned with #1 if you are using synthetic oils. The chemist said it is the same additives used to blend both conventional and synthetic oils
3. Some people seem to be concerned with upsetting the blend of the oil. Most of these are the same additives used in manufacturing the oil. HSS is balanced as a package by itself. In other words there is enough detergent to offset the dispersant ETC. So adding it doesn't change anything in a harmfull way. Keep in mind that this product has been tested by a major engine manufacturer. The testing was done in all climates.
4. It is true I am not a web guy, so I am learning a lot from this forum. The first thing I need to do is put together a FAQ page for the website. I am a lube engineer with most of my experience in industial settings. Like car plants. I was called to work on this project just out of dumb luck. But we did come up with a solution. It really does work. I don't really know how to market it but I also hate to see it shelved.
5. The is a guarantee. I don't have a problem refunding peoples money if it doesn't work. I wanted to make it as easy and honest as I could.
6. The treatment was made to treat a 15 quart system. That is what the engine manufacturer asked for. There is no oil in it an it is only additive which is why it cost so much.
7. You can use less if you want. You can leave it in for a shorter amount of time if you wish. You can leave it in for a full oil change if you wish. We have done all this and it worked in all those different enviroments.
8. I have 6 kids because I just love kids. If I was younger I would have 12. The Suburban is really too small. I was looking at Excursions Diesels online this weekend. I need to go and drive one this week.

I would like to reiterate that this is not an off the self retail product. It was designed specifically for stiction and tested just for that.
I will have more answers this week. I really enjoy working with you guys. Keep asking all these good questions.
Chris

Old 05-14-2007, 08:51 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
And we appreciate your candor and willingness to receive our questions / challenges.

As you have found, this is a very informed group. One would think we are all from "The Show Me" state. All are interested in your responses.

Once again, I want to state my appreciation to the posters for keeping this thread on the up and up.

On to the business at hand.....

6. The treatment was made to treat a 15 quart system. That is what the engine manufacturer asked for. There is no oil in it an it is only additive which is why it cost so much.
As oil being the carrier of additives...my concern is the oil properties being diluted due to the significant sacrifice of oil for the volume of your additive.

4. It is true I am not a web guy, so I am learning a lot from this forum..... I don't really know how to market it but I also hate to see it shelved.
If this product proves out, maybe you should hook up with Beach...marketing is his profession. ......and don't forget the kw5413 retirement fund for the referral...

Old 05-14-2007, 01:15 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well here is the quote from the bottom of their web page under the word "Application"
"Use HSS on diesel engines only. One 64 oz bottle is made to treat a 5-6 gallon system. This product can be used in used oil or in new oil during an oil change. "

http://65.247.66.223/closeup.asp?cid=9&pid=102&offset=0

Which is were i got the info. So since Chris has said his web page contains incorrect information, i do not know what to believe now.

Sounds like Chris needs to pull the website down and fix it with the correct information and also set up a FAQ section. All this incomplete information is making me re-think the use of the product. Yes it is cheaper than a full set of injectors but if using it causes a engine oil related bearing or bottom end part failure the cost of the damaged motor is going to get expensive in a hurry compared to a set of injectors.

Chris, FYI, you only get one chance at properly presenting your product to the consumer. You mess that up and that consumer is lost for life. You may want to pull the info off the website until you can get the correct information out and hire a professional to set-up the website and marketing.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:21 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Well I guess we need some more people to test this out, to see if it really does work, and Im going to be one of them. Im really not worried about it harming my motor, and I really dont believe this is just another Duralube or prolong. Even outside this forum Ive heard of people using this stuff with good results. Im getting pretty close to doing another oil change and will get some of this ordered. I would really like to test it during the winter with the cold starts, but thats a ways away. And ya I wont be overfilling my motor when I dump this in, 13.5 quarts is where I top my oil level out.

Last edited by a-rod; 05-14-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:34 PM
tj.brewster
Senior User
I'm with you a-rod.
My 03 F350 getting up there in the miles 225k and I have minor cold start issues I'd like to fix without having to sell a kidney on the black market to have Ford replace a couple injectors. If it works even for awhile that gives me time to save up for some engine mods when they finally crap out completely.

BBC and Chris, I think its a testament to the people of this forum that this type of debate can take place without any body gettin pi$$ed and start a flaming war. Keep it up...it helps Diesel noobs like me learn alot about these oil burnin vehicles.

TJ

Old 05-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Chris Gabe
Former Vendor
Let me restate something. I am sorry if I misled anyone. The information on the website is correct. The Technical Data Sheets from Primrose Oil Company were put up 2 years ago and have not been updated. I said I was going to update the website. Not that I had incorrect info up.

The Primrose Motor Oils in question are now CI4+ and I have not updated that portion of the tech data sheet- That's all.

I did some research and found out there is no API classification for additives. There are no harmful affects of the additive in CI4 or the CJ4. The additives that caused problems in the CJ4 are not present. I asked if there was anything at all-in any shape or form that could cause any problem. The answer was a resounding no. Which I knew but I wanted to cover my bases anyway. And I did have a professional web company put my web site together. Unfortunately it was put together for plant engineers to be able to get the information they need. We are making it more retail oriented now. I will likely implement the questions asked on this forum. That should help everyone.

Thanks,
Chris

Quick Reply: Hot Shot's Secret - Oil Additive