Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"NEW" 1978 Ford Bronco - what to do?

Old 04-24-2001, 08:02 AM
87roadracer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just received a 1978 Ford Bronco XLT Ranger with a 351 with 146K miles on it. The best part about it was that it was free...my parents owned it for 10 years and only used it during the winter months in upstate New York and have since retired to warm sunny Florida. The truck runs great and I am considering a full restoration on it. Before I attempt a resto, I was wondering what the compression should be at each cylinder? I really want to check the life of the motor. What's the best way to do a compression test on this truck? The motor does blow a little smoke when started so I am assuming that the rings are slowly going or are already gone. I will need to replace both doors, rear quarter panels and rear door posts. The frame, fenders and tailgate are perfect! Any idea who may have these parts beside the local junk yard?? I already know about LMC and Jeff's Bronco Gaveyard...any others?? Finally, what immediate items should I replace that are of a safety concern? Ball joints etc? I plan on towing with this truck and perhaps mounting a plow in the fall too.

Thank you Ford Enthusiasts!!

Old 04-30-2001, 09:24 PM
beratte
Senior User

Not sure what the compression is suppossed to be but I've always been told that as long as the compression is equal all the way around you're OK. You should have a 351M, you might want to post your ? on the 351M bb and I'm sure someone can tell you. As far as safety stuff I'd check the brakes for any leaks and steering tie rods. You can check the ball joints by jacking up the wheel and wiggling it top to bottom, usually not something that gives way though. Dennis Carpenter (denniscarpenter.com)reproductions makes good parts, but they're a little more expensive. Also try Autokrafters.com, they have good stuff. Good luck

Old 05-01-2001, 06:43 PM
AlM
Posting Guru

Search this Thread