Help with new motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:46 AM
jeffvms
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with new motor

I have a 98 F-150 with a 4.2. I recently blew the motor on it. I am getting a rebuilt one made for me but the saleperson told me I had to sycronize the timing before I install the new motor. I was told this would require a special tool. I am not sure exactly what he is talking about because my haynes repair manual does not menction anthing about it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-03-2007, 02:42 AM
metalman07
New User
Post Ignition timing

First off, why are you using a Haynes repair manual? They don't tell you squat. Better luck with a Chiltons. Second, most 4.2L engines installed in the F150 are electronically controlled engines in which you cannot set the idle speed or timing, meaning it is being electroniclly controlled by the computer. You may have to have it checked with dianostic equipment. Best bet is to refer to the owner manual that came with your truck.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:01 AM
bokker
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi, the reference may be to the camshaft synchronizer. this is covered in the chilton manual. and states that the synchro positioning tool must be used to ensure the fuel system is timed correctly so that engine damage is not caused.
try a search on this site and you may find help. good luck bokker.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:36 AM
jeffvms
Junior User
Yeah, Thanks for your help. It is the camshaft sycronizer. I was able to the the full ford manual and the tool from the local Ford dealer. Their manual are much better and really spell it out for you. Anyway. Thanks for your help

Old 05-04-2007, 02:04 AM
metalman07
New User
Originally Posted by jeffvms
Yeah, Thanks for your help. It is the camshaft sycronizer. I was able to the the full ford manual and the tool from the local Ford dealer. Their manual are much better and really spell it out for you. Anyway. Thanks for your help
No Problem!!