Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2007, 09:52 PM
New User

baconmobile is starting off with a positive reputation.
need help with last step of SVO install on a 97 PSD

I've installed a kit from greasecar. I got everything in and hooked up but....

Loaded the VO filter element with VO. Put a vac pump into the NC hose from valve A at the T connection near the VO filter and held it at 20 for a while (10 minutes) thinking this would pull diesel up from the tank and prime the system. Nothing came through. Loaded the main filter housing with diesel manually. Nothing in the VO tank. Cranked up and ran it for a minute or two on diesel. Heat in VO tank good. Flipped to flush mode and ran it for 3 minutes but nothing came out of the pick up in the VO tank. Shut down, set it back to diesel mode cranked it up, and ran it for a few more minutes. Then the engine died for lack of fuel - it had consumed all the fuel from the filter housing but pulled nothing in from the tank. Repeated the above, but stopped short of letting the engine die. Same results. Pulled the main return hose from the COM port on valve B and it was dry. Looks like nothing is going down the return side of the system. Have tested the valves - all power connections operating like they should. Have looked for kinks and leaks - found none. Put the vac pump back into the NC hose from valve A at the T connection near the VO filter and it held 20 bars - not showing a leak in the system. Repeated the above filling, cranking, and dying procedure many more times. With the engine running I have tried holding the RPM at around 2k. No change. Letting it idle, I backed off one of the return pressure lines at the pressure regulator and diesel squirted out. Filled the filter again and the same things happened. Checked the drain lever on the filter housing. All the way closed.

I'm about to loose it. What do I need to do to solve this? Is there some trick to priming the fuel pump besides filling the filter housing? Is it possible that the loss of prime and the lack of fuel in the return lines are connected? I've been working steadily on this install since Friday afternoon and am at wits end. Help!!
Thanks
Ray

Last edited by IB Tim; 05-12-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Senior User

willbd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ray,

You installed a WVO kit and the truck is not getting any fuel.
Did you convert one of the stock tanks into your WVO tank?
95 F350 SC PSD Auto 4.10 Pro-Tech Aluminum Flatbed with side boxes AutoMeter Transmission and Boost gauges 6637 Filter mod 160K miles B&M 24K Transmission cooler Diamond Eye stainless steel exhaust 2 tank WVO

Bryan Will
Old 05-03-2007, 12:05 AM
Elder User

FN74 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.FN74 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ray- Pm Sent. Need more info!!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:05 AM
New User

Hi folks.
Thanks for your message FN74.
Called the guys at greasecar yesterday and they had a few suggestions. It was an air problem. I didn't know about the schrader valve on the side of the FPR and I hadn't put the vac pump in the right place to pull the fuel up from the tank. Like everything, it was a simple fix with the right information. Truck is up and running now.

Willb: The conversion has a tank that goes in the bed of the truck rather than heating one of the stock tanks. So I now have 3 tanks.

See you around
Ray
Old 05-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Senior User

Country4.2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How do you like the kit from greasecar?
Is it worth the money?
Are you happy with it?
Any info appreciated
thanks
Old 05-07-2007, 12:21 PM
New User

I'll post a list of pros and cons once I get up and running.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Senior User

awesome, I will look forward to that
Old 05-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Elder User

FN74 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.FN74 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So what did you find out? the pump good or not? and country4.2, have you looked into the vegistroke?
Old 05-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Senior User

no I haven't looked into vegistroke, but I will now
Old 05-09-2007, 08:03 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FN74
So what did you find out? the pump good or not? and country4.2, have you looked into the vegistroke?
Hi
I put the vac pump on the return hose so that it was pulling through the whole system and pumped till there were no bubbles - passed about a gallon through. Hooked up a charger to the batts and it cranked fine. I let it run for a few minutes just to see if anything would go wrong. It ran a little rough - still sucking air. While at idle I hit the schrader and lots of air and foam came out. So the pump seems good and now I need to look for leaks. The Greasecar guys suggested I check the o-ring between the FPR and filter and plug the orifice in the plastic cup thing on the FPR.

Any suggestions on finding an air leak?

Thanks again for your time
Ray
Old 05-09-2007, 08:37 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country4.2
no I haven't looked into vegistroke, but I will now
Ok

I’m coming at this from having done a Mercedes 2 tank system. For that I didn’t buy a kit, but pulled together the parts myself based on reading and photos from the web. I feel like I have a pretty good understanding how this is supposed to work.

fficeffice" />>>

Things I know about the Greasecar kit

>>

Pro:

It comes with everything. Nice.

The automatic controller thingy is a great feature and worth it just to keep other drivers from doing bad things with the VO.

The tank and other components are well made – beautiful welds.

The kit and controller were $1,700. This seems a believable mid-range price for a decent basic system.

The install instructions were pretty thorough and have a decent troubleshooting section.

>>

Con:

They put all the fittings and screws in bags together (instead of a bag for this and a bag for that) and I had no idea which was to go to what.

The install instructions were a little confusing.

They didn’t include extra length of fuel hose or crimp wiring fittings for just in case you cut where you shouldn’t.

When I called for help with this air problem, they made suggestions that should have been in the troubleshooting section of the install manual in the first place.

>>

All that said, I did get it up to temp and ran on VO and it worked like a charm – VO heated up fast, auto controller worked like it was supposed to, switchover was seamless, 37 seconds to push diesel through the system and all the way back to the veg tank at idle, and all the components look good – doesn’t seem like cheap crap that’s going to wear out.

>>

Jury is still out, but I think that once I get the air problem worked out it will be a solid system. I just think they could do a better job with the instructions.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Elder User

The Easiest way to check for vacum leaks is to pressurize the system and look for leaks that way. But since Greasecar is being responsive to you, I should let them do their job and not complicate the issue. Good to hear that the pump is working.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:18 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FN74
The Easiest way to check for vacum leaks is to pressurize the system and look for leaks that way. But since Greasecar is being responsive to you, I should let them do their job and not complicate the issue. Good to hear that the pump is working.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:18 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
diagram, installation, laststeppsd, svo