Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2007, 03:12 PM
New User

atlford is starting off with a positive reputation.
2000 F150 4x4 5.4 Trans or Rear diff problem

Hello - I have 95k on my truck and have a strange problem. When ever I am taking off from a stop AND turning I get either a strange transmission shutter or slip. From what I can tell, it feels like it is coming from the rear end. This does not happen if I am going straight or turning while under way - only from a crawl or a stop (like at a stop sign). Could this be the rear differential or signs of needing the fluid changd in the rear diff? I do tow a boat in the summer, so it does get a work out about once a week. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Elder User

AnOldDog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
A shudder is usually associated with the torque converter in your transmission. If so, a complete fluid flush will usually solve the problem. Check your tranny fluid level and check the color. Does it look or smell burnt? This generally occurs as the transmission fluid overheats.

I could be wrong. I've never had it happen to me from a dead stop, and I haven't had it occur only when making only when turning to the right, but then I haven't experienced everything.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Senior User

puppypower is starting off with a positive reputation.
If your rear is a L/S it could be your clutch pack. A change of fluid and add some friction modifier in the rear should take care of your problem.
K&N FIPK
Flowmaster Dual Exhaust 50 series

'06 E250 Stock work van
Does that count too?
Old 04-29-2007, 07:33 PM
New User

atlford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Chris - I will try your idea first and see if that fixes the problem. I will then do a complete trans flush as AnOldDog suggested.

Paul
Old 04-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Post Fiend

steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.
if you have the original gear lube in the back end, then drain and add 2 quarts of 75 w 140 synthetic gear lube and 7 oz bottle of the friction modifier. you can get it at Auto Zone. If the gear lube is only 20-30,000 miles old, then just add the friction modifier to it. too llittle friction modifier will do exactly what you describe with the limited slip rear axles.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Postmaster

ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yup...it's the rear diff. Change the fluid and add 7-8oz of Ford's friction modifier.
It's a very common problem after the truck's seen a lot of miles without a fluid change...

Old 04-29-2007, 09:54 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
00, 2000, 4x4, 97, defferential, differential, e250, f150, fluid, ford, quarts, rear, shudder, trans, van