1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling manual hubs

Old 04-28-2007, 01:10 PM
halekd
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking pulling manual hubs

Hi, first post here. This website look grat and I' looking forweard to it's use. I have a 97 F250 and the hubs are so bad it grinds on the passenger side. I want to replace them. I've been to two dealerships (one twice) and I've gotten two diff part numbers. So I've got some questions

how too on removal? not afraid, been told it's real easy, just never done it.

what's a proper part number?

Is there a cheaper than the dealership price anywhere?

Once pulled can I run the truck with out until replaced? It's spring in Minnesota and I need use of the truck.

THanks in advance!

Old 04-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Ed in Maine
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm going through the same thing on my '99. Getting them out can involve some pulling. I used a big set of channel locks and a rubber mallet to tap them from side to side while pulling with the channel locks. They should pop right out. I would not bother with an OEM part number. Just get some Warn's for about $169 online. You can check warn.com for a part number.
Ed

Old 04-29-2007, 07:11 PM
miker67
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First off, Welcome to FTE!
Second, unless I am misreading your post, your truck should not have manual hubs; a 97 F250 does not have manual hubs, at least from the factory. They have automatic hubs that either work, or they don't, with no option for manual engagement. Warn makes a kit to convert the auto hubs to manual hubs, and if your truck has manuals, then this is most likely what has been installed and ford will not be able to help you with part numbers. Your best bet is go to Warn's website and get the numbers for the parts you need, and then go to your local auto store and order them from their. I know Advance Auto can get them, and so can O-reilley's. Good luck getting your problem fixed!

Originally Posted by halekd
how too on removal? not afraid, been told it's real easy, just never done it.
We need to confirm what you have first, but either way, it can be done with simple hand tools.

what's a proper part number?
Again, we need to confirm what you have.

Is there a cheaper than the dealership price anywhere?
Almost always. This site has many sponsors that offer OEM Ford parts at discount pricing. www.powerstrokeshop.com is one, there are others as well. For non-ford parts, there are many good sources among our sponsors as well.

Once pulled can I run the truck with out until replaced? It's spring in Minnesota and I need use of the truck.
If it is a 97, no, that would be a bad idea. If it were a 99+, it could be done, but is not at all recommended.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:21 AM
halekd
Freshman User
Smile

Thanks for the replies and I'm glad to have stumbled across this site. The tech info is great but the personal knowledge of everyone is the best.

Miker, thaks fot the tip of not driving until it's fully fixed the guy I heard that from has an '02 or '03 F350 so that fits in perfectly with what you are saying. The hubs I have don't say "Warn" on them so I don't know who the manufacturer is. I took a pic but when I open the posting rules drop box it says I can't do that so I'm going to pull the hubs and and go from there.

Ed, I'd also like to thank you for the tip on the Warn site also. It was a real straight forwaid process to figure which hubs they say to get.

Thanks again!

Old 04-30-2007, 01:20 PM
miker67
Elder User
For pictures, try either setting up your gallery, or haveing them hosted on a third party photo site and insterting a link in to the body of a post. Then we can see exactly what you have. Let me ask you this, does your truck have a straight axle or the Twin I beam setup. From the factory, it should have the twin I-beams, but if it is a straight axle, that would answer a TON of questions reagarding what is going on.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:48 AM
halekd
Freshman User
So I can't post attachments until I have at least 25 posts on this sight. Frustrating as hell but understandable to keep the spammers out. This truck does have Twin I beam suspention. In the mean time anyother suggestions for finding what I have for hubs or who the manufacturer is?

Old 05-12-2007, 10:04 AM
halekd
Freshman User
Via this website and ebay I ran across a company called Mile Marker. My hubs look very similar to those. Any feedback on that company?

Old 05-12-2007, 10:09 AM
halekd
Freshman User
I find out more about this website the more I browes it. I guess if you look under my gallery you'll see a pic of the hubs I took.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:55 PM
miker67
Elder User
OK, now you have me scratching my head. In your gallery, the pic shows the lockout cap is a three bolt cap, which is the stock # of bolts. Most of the conversion kits convert it to a six bolt cap. I will have to do some digging. Either way, I would upgrade to an aftermarket setup, but now I am curious as to what you have.