6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Dually or no Dually

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Percys Armory
its post like that from level2 that may scare off potential buyers.
Just how would that scare off a potential buyer? The fact that I'm letting him know that if he isn't going to be hauling loads in excess of what a SRW truck can handle that there is absolutely no need for the extra 2 wheels? Its just a simple fact that a DRW wont get the same amount of traction as a SRW....if he wants one he is most certainly capable of buying what he wants no matter what anyone says. But, since he came on here asking for our informed opinions, thats what I gave him. I have been driving Ford diesel trucks in both SRW and DRW configurations for 12 years and have racked up more hundreds of thousands of miles than I care to think of pulling everything from single axle generator trailers to 36' goosnecks and camping trailers and I have a fair bit of knowledge of how they work. I drive my 2000 F350 DRW every day of the week putting 40K miles a year on it pulling a 24' gooseneck every day. Simple point is...if he just needs a truck to do occasional hauling and towing of medium duty....SRW is all he needs. End of story. Before you critisize what others say.....maybe you should think the sentence through in your head to see if it is true or realavant.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:24 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
I do haul quite a bit either in bed or trailer (daily),I`m leaning towards not trading in my truck now and buying the 08 (450drw)outright.I do go to Tahoe (snow every weekend during football season and never had any issues with my srw so we`ll see what happens this year.We go down to Pismo now and then and it`s always a pain getting stuck in the sand.Air down to about 20psi but can you also do that with the rear tires? How low can you go? any exp?

Hanklin

Old 05-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
I have DRW and have not experienced any of what you said. I drove Ford Diesels for 12years and continue to ignore your advice and criticize.
Originally Posted by Level2
Just how would that scare off a potential buyer? The fact that I'm letting him know that if he isn't going to be hauling loads in excess of what a SRW truck can handle that there is absolutely no need for the extra 2 wheels? Its just a simple fact that a DRW wont get the same amount of traction as a SRW....if he wants one he is most certainly capable of buying what he wants no matter what anyone says. But, since he came on here asking for our informed opinions, thats what I gave him. I have been driving Ford diesel trucks in both SRW and DRW configurations for 12 years and have racked up more hundreds of thousands of miles than I care to think of pulling everything from single axle generator trailers to 36' goosnecks and camping trailers and I have a fair bit of knowledge of how they work. I drive my 2000 F350 DRW every day of the week putting 40K miles a year on it pulling a 24' gooseneck every day. Simple point is...if he just needs a truck to do occasional hauling and towing of medium duty....SRW is all he needs. End of story. Before you critisize what others say.....maybe you should think the sentence through in your head to see if it is true or realavant.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:31 PM
mike367
New User
Hi guys, I only tow a 28' travel trailer about 10 or 15 times in the summer and thats it. Im also looking at the 450. Sat in one today at the dealers it was a lariat and seemed to be very well made. I live in western ny so we do get snow. My last truck was a 2004 f-250 6.0 sc xl. I loved that truck but the lease was up and we opted for a 2007 expy for my wife. The 450 is way over kill for my needs and I realize it but whatever happened to " I bought it because I wanted it". My uncle bought a corvette and only drives it a few times a year but he loves taking care of it and it has given him great joy. Sorry for the ramble. Mike

Old 05-10-2007, 05:40 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike367
Hi guys, I only tow a 28' travel trailer about 10 or 15 times in the summer and thats it. Im also looking at the 450. Sat in one today at the dealers it was a lariat and seemed to be very well made. I live in western ny so we do get snow. My last truck was a 2004 f-250 6.0 sc xl. I loved that truck but the lease was up and we opted for a 2007 expy for my wife. The 450 is way over kill for my needs and I realize it but whatever happened to " I bought it because I wanted it". My uncle bought a corvette and only drives it a few times a year but he loves taking care of it and it has given him great joy. Sorry for the ramble. Mike
Mike- The vast majority of us still preach "it's your money, buy what you want," so go ahead, buy what you want!

But before you go out and buy the 450, check around to make sure that you can insure it under a normal consumer policy. In many places people are finding-out that their current insurer (or any other non-commercial insurer) will not insure it because it's GVWR places it squarely in the commercial category.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Percys Armory
I have DRW and have not experienced any of what you said. I drove Ford Diesels for 12years and continue to ignore your advice and criticize.
Again Percy.....your ignorance is not related to the topic and your childish retorts make you seem like a blatant agitator. Its people that respond in that manor that try to spoil what is a great data-base of knowledge for other people, so do everyone a favor and keep your posts to the topic and helpful and informative.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
good advice My insurance agent had a list of questions I needed to answer before I got insurance.
Originally Posted by EnviroCon
Mike- The vast majority of us still preach "it's your money, buy what you want," so go ahead, buy what you want!

But before you go out and buy the 450, check around to make sure that you can insure it under a normal consumer policy. In many places people are finding-out that their current insurer (or any other non-commercial insurer) will not insure it because it's GVWR places it squarely in the commercial category.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Level2
Again Percy.....your ignorance is not related to the topic and your childish retorts make you seem like a blatant agitator. Its people that respond in that manor that try to spoil what is a great data-base of knowledge for other people, so do everyone a favor and keep your posts to the topic and helpful and informative.
and to end this all.
1. your post was off topic, could have been handled off the boards.
2. I don't agree or disagree with everything you say. before I got my dualie I read many posts like yours. Since I live where it snows I was skeptical on buying one. Now that I did I found none of what your saying is what I experience.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
Ummmm....my post was exactly about the topic. I was giving information about the original question asked.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
Mike get the 450

Last edited by Percys Armory; 05-10-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:51 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Why don`t ya`ll just back down down on the verbal tirade. A couple of ? were asked and answered according to each beliefs.

Hanklin

Old 05-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hanklin
Why don`t ya`ll just back down down on the verbal tirade. A couple of ? were asked and answered according to each beliefs.

Hanklin
I think I did

the worst vehicle I had for traction in the rain was my 01 Lightning

Old 05-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
on a side note the OP has already made a decision.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:02 AM
mike367
New User
Thanks Enviro I will look into that before sighning. The salesmen at the dealership gave me a pamphlet and boy that king ranch package is nice. Mike

Old 05-11-2007, 06:57 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Percy
the worst vehicle I had for traction in the rain was my 01 Lightning

At least it was a ford,my first ride out of a high school was a toyota truck and man did that thing move all around in a downpour.great mileage however

Hanklin

Quick Reply: Dually or no Dually