Sponsored by: DP Tuner

stacking edge juice with attitude and superchips programmer

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 03:34 AM
PoWeRsTrOkEdF250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stacking edge juice with attitude and superchips programmer

Well i just recently got a edge juice with attitude and moniter off of a 2001 F350 trade in truck from work. They said take all the after market stuff of so we did. But before I took it off i drove the truck and in the number 5 setting I could easily hit 1200 degrees on the pyro and sometimes in the number 3 setting but I would have to be full throttle for awhile the tranny shifted like crap. Im wondering could I stack this on top of the superchips 1705 turner set at the tow/performance mode and not have any problems. I dont want to burn my trucks engine or tranny up but I really like the how the edge moniter will moniter egt and boost on the screen without having gauges running down the pilar to me its just a cleaner look. Do you think or have any inputs on that being safe. Id leave the superchips turner on its current settings as the tranny shifts are great in my opinion and put the edge at the stock setting and possiable the 2nd setting as long as my egt never got out of hand. Any insights would be much apperciated also if it dosent work out is anyone intrested in purchasing my edge juice??? I'd like to sell it if it will be unsafe for my truck and buy some gauges. I know I know I should have got them a long time agowhile running my super chip but I never pull anything and I never really beat on my truck most of the driving is just down the freeway to work. Thanks Steven

Last edited by PoWeRsTrOkEdF250; 04-27-2007 at 03:39 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:01 PM
PoWeRsTrOkEdF250
Senior User
Well I have been doing some searching on this forum for this topic and it sounds like it could be done. But I have read that some people reccomend the edge evolution programmer with the edge juice. I really like my super chip and dont really want to go through the trouble of selling the superchips for the evo. I guess when the 2 are together they "talk" to each other Dose anyone know if the super chip would be able to do that with the edge juice? I was reading the owners manual for the edge juice last night and it said it was compatiable with other products to enhance power and shifting but then of course reccomend the edge evo box. I dont want a power monsterout of my truck. Most of all I like the digtial display for the egt and boost that is with the edge juice anyone have any inputs??

Old 04-27-2007, 12:08 PM
fbilly420
Senior User
i know i dont have the two same chips but i do run the banks six gun tuner stacked with my ts 6 pos. and the egt's will shoot up real fast but they are controlable. i took the banks off and it is amazing how much of a differance it make with both of them turned up. I can hit 1250 on egt's before i even hit 40 mph. just keep your eyes on the egt's.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:18 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Here's what you're doing with the programmer and the Edge product.

Tuner:

Reflashes PCM (engine computer) Read-Only-Memory and changes the way the PCM "reacts" to changing conditions and sensor inputs, thus making more power AND increasing transmission line pressure for firmer (not later) shifts.

The Edge:
This module changes the INPUTS to the PCM ONLY!!! There is no changing of transmission pressures, etc. The Edge only changes what the PCM "sees" and the PCM reacts accordingly to the "altered" inputs.

It is possible to "stack" these two things, however, you will end up with a PCM that is making new "programmed" adjustments to "corrupt" inputs from the Edge. This can cause driveability issues, but it is possible to end up with a good driving condition with the firmer shifts.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:28 PM
PoWeRsTrOkEdF250
Senior User
So what your saying is the superchip has already reprogrammed my trucks pcm to act diffrently to sensor input then what the stock tune would do and with the edge it changes senor readings to the PCM. So I will have the edge sending diffrent signals to a PCM that is now reading diffrent signals? LOL good thing Im not the trucks PCM sounds like it could get confusing. And I have a possiablitly that the super chip and the edge will either work good together or work crappy?

Old 04-27-2007, 01:32 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Exactly. Each truck is going to react differently because things like fuel pressure, high pressure oil pump pressure, transmission condition, etc. differ between trucks. I wouldn't have a problem programming the 100/110 HP superchips tune and then running through the Edge programs just to see what happens. If it works ok, then do it. If not, set the Superchips to level 2 and then run the edge on 2 or 3 and go from there. You really can't hurt it by trying...just watch the EGT!!

Old 04-27-2007, 02:08 PM
PoWeRsTrOkEdF250
Senior User
Well I guess I will give it a try on my truck worst I would do is drill the hole in the mainfold just to take the pyro out but if that was the case it would already be drilled for the guages that would follow with it if I dont like the edge juice. Also I guess either way I will have the capabilities to read the egt and boost even if i set the edge to no settings and the superchip tune to tow/perf or whatever setting I put it at

Old 04-28-2007, 08:14 AM
15 and 92 Dad
Senior User
I already had the 80hp super chip in my truck,(none adjustable) and purchased the banks 6 gun and other items (Cheap). I had some of the same concerns, to make a long story short, I have the 6 gun and the superchip in and have no problems, even with the 6 gun on max setting egts are tolerable!
Richard

Old 04-28-2007, 10:30 AM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I tried what Cleatus recomended. I ran my SC-Programmer w/ EdgeW Atitude. It didn't cause any damage but it did run horrible..My truck just didn't like the Super Chips Programmer. It ran great with the Edge Evolution Programmer Stacked on the Edge w Juice. My truck is an 99.5 F-250 4x4 S.B. At. I also have an 02 Excursion 4x4 and it runs Awsome on the S.C, Programmer. Its set on the 60 HP setting and I've never had any problems with it. My truck would constantly kick out trouble codes on the SC programmer but not with the Edge, Unless I pushed it real hard. But under normal driving conditions it would constantly through T.C.'s on the S.C... Not sure why but my truck just doesn't like The S.C. Programmer, but my Excursion loves it... I have since swapped out the Edge Equipment and went to A DI chip to support the 530's I installed. So gotta get rid of all the extra equipment. I also have a Banks Big hoss chip. As you can tell I did some experimenting with chips. In my experience the Banks is the worst out there. There costumer service is well, worse than their equipment. It does get expensive, experimenting I mean so hopefully you can firgure this out with out to much trial and error. Take Care. Country..

Old 04-28-2007, 10:37 AM
15 and 92 Dad
Senior User
I agree totally about the banks, IF I hadnt of gotten such a GREAT deal on mine I would be PISSSED! I do like the monitoring capabilitys.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:47 AM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Yeah I don't mean to upset anyone, but I spent alot of $ for equipment with them and ended up switching over to Egde.. Just to much lieing and B.S. I used to work in Sales for Ford so you tend to catch on quick when they're trying to put yah together... Oh well ,I now some folks love their stuff just didn't work out for me..

Last edited by countrycar; 04-28-2007 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 04-28-2007, 11:46 AM
PoWeRsTrOkEdF250
Senior User
Well that gives me a little more confidence in stacking the 2 I hope it works out if i get a chance on sunday im gonna drill the mainfold for the egt probe the rest of the install is easy with the edge

Old 04-28-2007, 12:10 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Let me know how the install went and how well it works. Good luck

Old 04-30-2007, 03:36 AM
PoWeRsTrOkEdF250
Senior User
Well I put in the edge juice with attitude in and everything went pretty smooth. My drill kept on dieing on me when I was trying to drill the exhaust mainfold but I finally got it and taped it out. I was sure gald to see the EGT prode fitting screw right in also. So far my truck seems to run normal when on the "stock" setting even though its tuned with my Superchip 1705 scanner I left it at the tow/perf tone and was glad to see that even when I would stand on it my EGT never got to 1200. Which made me feel better being I havent had an EGT gauge untill now. I did get the truck to throw a check engine like and Defuel I put it on the number 5 setting and floored it I got up close to the red line and the engine made a crackle type noise or something and my truck lost power and the check engine light came on. I checked the stored memory on the edge and it had defueled the truck 66% It finally went off on its own but when I pulled in my drive way I pulled out the super chip and scanned the code and reset it. I think it was a 1211 which was one of the codes the edge manul would tell me my truck could throw. It had something to do with the fuel injection presure and the pcm not comunicating or something not exactly sure but thats what the code was. I did notice at the 3 "drive" setting there is a noticable power increase over it just being at the 0 setting and my EGT's still dont get that hot I did noticve they get hotter faster but nothing over 1270 degrees. So far Im happy with the set up I hope it stays working out next I want to upgrade my tranny with a shift kit. Thanks for you input if anyone else has anymore information it would be great Thanks Steven

Old 04-30-2007, 12:50 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Hey powerstroked, yeah thats what my truck kept doing,same exact thing. It would all of sudden rattle like it was coming apart and kick on the SES light. Between that and banging the gears I just figured I'd be better off removing it before it caused some damage. It never happend with Edge Evolution Programmer stacked with my E/Attitude though. Well be careful not to damage your truck or your computer. I damaged one already and it cost me $700.00 to replace it. I didn't do it with Superchips pro or the Edge equipment. I damaged it by not removing the battery cable or the key from the ignition when removing my DI Performance chip. I fried the PCM!! Country

Quick Reply: stacking edge juice with attitude and superchips programmer