Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Junior User

Magic is starting off with a positive reputation.
Flathead V-8

I know the easy route on my new project,is to install late model running gear. I don't have any running gear in my 35. So I will be buying something. What I was wondering what you guys thoughts were. With today technology,can a 60-70 year old Ford flathead be built. Be dependable and reliable. I am not interested in building a garage show car queen. And trailer cars are not for me. I want to build it to drive local, but if a 1,000 mile rod run comes up. I want to think I have just as much chance to drive in it as one with a later model engine. Its just most things I have had in the past,have been powered by late model V-8s. But I still like the looks and sound of a flathead. I love to have a slightly modified flathead. Whats your input ? Should I forget my thoughts of a flathead V-8 ? Thanks !
Old 04-27-2007, 01:15 AM
Post Fiend

mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.
Six years ago when I put my 48 pickup on the road, I made a road trip from nw Montana to eastern Ohio by way of Denver, Wichita and Michigan - approx 3500 miles, then straight back to MT another 2250 miles.

It's been my daily driver since and has made trips to: Lethbridge, AB, Canada; Boise, ID; Spokane WA. So yes, I believe they're reliable and dependable. Keeping up with hwy speeds requires road gears in your rear end and/or transmission. OD is the best, but without it run at least 3.50 gears in the rear.

I run a 51 merc V8 in my 48 F1 pickup, HD 3 spd trans with 9" rear with 3.50:1 gears.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:49 PM
Junior User

Magic is starting off with a positive reputation.
So when you rebuilt your flat head,did you build it back stock. Or did you make changes. I was thinking of using a 50s model flathead also. And being I am not trying for a original,I might go for a od too. Thanks !
Old 04-28-2007, 01:34 AM
Post Fiend

Snowking has a very good reputation on FTE.Snowking has a very good reputation on FTE.Snowking has a very good reputation on FTE.
I guess a 5 speed OD from a S10 works well in a flathead.
Then for mods here is what I suggest
Air cleaner
Exhaust of course
12 volt
Old 04-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Post Fiend

mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic
So when you rebuilt your flat head,did you build it back stock. Or did you make changes. I was thinking of using a 50s model flathead also. And being I am not trying for a original,I might go for a od too. Thanks !
I haven't worn out my flathead yet, but it's coming close to rebuild time. The one I'm running was used and stock that I pulled out of a big grain truck. I've put about 80,000 miles on it, but now getting a good bit of blowby

My engine is stock internally, but has some added external improvements. You can check my gallery to see the mods I've made - I recommend the mods snowking suggested and then some - just for drivability and road speed issues.

When I do rebuild I'll upgrade to a 3/4 cam but I'll stick with the merc crank and EAB heads (52/52 Ford and the highest compression stock heads). I also plan to bore to 3 5/16" - .125 over and an OD tranny would be nice.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:48 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6