British Columbia British Columbia
Join Chapter, Leader: sky Cowboy

What's everyone doing? (truck work)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Mr. Fixit
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flatdeck: I doubt western Canadian prices will ever get as low as prices for most consumer stuff in the States. Several people have told me it's all about volume and buying habits - we simply never seem to match 'them Yanks' in our spending.
Yesterday needed a pair of brake rotors for a '77 CJ5 jeep and could not find them in Vancouver. Ended up at DV Aldus on Fraser street. The sales guys explained that Wagner makes two qualities of rotors, one American and the other Chinese. Wagner only sends the cheaper offshore units to Canada but both are available throughout the US. I guess Canadians won't buy the US units because they cost twice as much. Anyway, they didn't have the ones I needed.

Can't wait for the Household LEDs to become available, but as you said, they are nowhere to be found so far.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:44 PM
Flatdeck
Senior User
The distributors and wholesalers have set their prices, and the retailers are expected to buy from them and resell to us at a profit. But we're a global market now. It's very easy for the consumer to browse the Internet and order something online. Canadians can buy a Can-Am ATV (made by BRP (Bombardier Recreation Products) out of Quebec) about $2500-$3000 cheaper out the door than in Canada. That's paying all taxes, RIV fee, and shipping to a border shipping depot. They used to say it was because of the difference in the dollar, but now they can't use that excuse and have confessed that it's because they know they can get away with it. It's gotten so bad that BRP has told their American dealers that they cannot sell to Canadians or they risk losing their dealership. This is from a company that our tax dollars bailed out. Nice, huh?

Many companies and industries are working together to restructure their Canadian pricing. For example, Broadway Camera just lowered all of their prices to become competitive to the American prices. Zellers/The Bay and Wal-Mart are working on price restructuring as well. Good for them! Although I expect that from Wal-Mart as they're an American company. Now why can't the ATV and automotive industries do the same? Identical products, unless the French labels and manual is worth an extra 25%.

Oops, back on topic now. I am usually unloaded and have an aluminum flatdeck instead of a steel bed. I do carry a 650-pound ATV on weekends, and sometimes a passenger and a second ATV of similar weight. But that's it.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:36 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Truck work - just bought a 90's ford regular cab shortbed truck. It needs alot of small things done to it, but its gonna be a cool little project.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
I think I'm going to change my swaybar links. I put in some Energy bushings awhile ago and I think I hate them. I have a noise and I think (hope) that is the cause.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Secret Agent 069
Posting Guru
I think, when I have some bills caught up, I'm going to rip out the flat deck, and get a box from Pick-a-part.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Oh ya gotta love Pick-a-part. I love those places.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:27 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
I miss the pickapart in chilliwack. I shoulda have grabbed a rust free longbox for my 89 when I was there!

Agent when your looking for a box, put me down for one too bud

Old 01-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Maybe you can get a deal if you buy 2. No pick-a-parts out your way Preppy?

Old 01-24-2008, 09:56 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Yeah there is, but you would never find a rust free box like down in the lower mainland.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:25 PM
sedly
Posting Guru
truck work

Rear brakes-drum's and rotors,brake lines,slave cylinder's.Rear wheel bearing's,all drive train u-joint's just finished on the truck.I just did a tune up including timing.Thing's to do in the future-I'm just waiting for the new power steering assisst ram to come in,then I will put the truck up on jack stand's and do-upper and lower ball joint's both sides,front wheel bearing's,front brakes,tie rod end's,connecting rod,brake lines,power steering lines,new locking hub's(probably Warn).I ordered a new 1bbl carb and power steering pump.Meanwhile I'm trying to find a guy to weld me up a steel flat deck.The list goes on and on.But I'm having fun doing it.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Secret Agent 069
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by preppypyro
I miss the pickapart in chilliwack. I shoulda have grabbed a rust free longbox for my 89 when I was there!

Agent when your looking for a box, put me down for one too bud
I'l take my camera out next time, and get all sorts of really nice pictures for you... You pay for the box & shipping and I'l send one out to ya

Old 01-27-2008, 06:53 PM
mike240zt
Senior User
Truck work-where does it end? LOL since xmas i've installed a new 400, headers and exaust, swapped the dead 9" for a dana 60 and 8 lug swap up front with new ball joints, (still need to swap gears) new rad, new calipers to put on, looked at a new cab today and pick it up tomorrow night, and waitin on a trac bar stud from JBG. Just need front axle u-joints new trans and transfer case mounts. Everything else on the chassis has already been replaced.

Last edited by mike240zt; 01-27-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:08 AM
Zip
FTE Legend
Wow compared to you guys I'm slacking off. I have a small list of want to's but it's too cold to do anything but emergency work.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:37 AM
sedly
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Zip
Wow compared to you guys I'm slacking off. I have a small list of want to's but it's too cold to do anything but emergency work.
You wouldn't be slacking off if had an old one Zip.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:38 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Secret Agent 069
I'l take my camera out next time, and get all sorts of really nice pictures for you... You pay for the box & shipping and I'l send one out to ya
Im actually thinking in the summer when I come through Im gonna try and buy one, or have one lined up to take home. Just cant find em out here with any rust!

Quick Reply: What's everyone doing? (truck work)