Join Chapter, Leader: sky Cowboy

What's everyone doing? (truck work)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Mr. Fixit
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No kidding!

But here's a little amusement for you: installed the fuel pump yesterday (remembered to prefill the filter cannister with gas so the pump doesn't work 'dry' for too long) and put some gas in the main tank. Sealed a small leak at the carb - all looked good and she started right up. Thought I'd just let her run a few minutes to warm up while I fiddled with the choke.

Just before shut down , walked around examining the undercarriage for the hell-of-it. Under the driver's side near the fuel tank switch, there was a stream of gass peeing onto the ground... Sure enough when I poked at the steel line I could feel a dent where something had made contact! Had to quickly put a fuel tank with funnel under so as to catch the 2 1/2 gallons of fresh fuel I just poured into the tank!

So there were 3 ways for fuel to escape - not just the fuel pump diaphragm! Must buy some fuel hose and clamps today...

Old 08-25-2007, 10:43 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Sounds like quite the fun time!

Old 10-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Changed my oil myself for the first time. Warranty is all done. Filled with RP and want to do the other fluids with it as well.

As most of you BC'ers know I installed a leveling kit during the summer. When I did it I liked it but over time I really began to notice how low it was sitting in the rear. After doing some research I decided I would put in some F350 blocks to level it up. Well I could not find any at 4 wreckers.

To make a very long story short my truck had no blocks and heavier springs (6 leafs and a big overload). I got some new longer and heavier ubolts and some stock blocks.

I am quite pleased with the look now it seems to sit nice and level now. Time will tell, I'm sure if I look at it enough I will find something.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Mr. Fixit
Senior User
Here's an interesting/frustrating update to my 'lost fuel' problem. After replacing a leaking fuel pump and repairing a hole in the steel fuel line near the main tank, I came back to the truck 2 weeks ago to discover no fuel in the tank again!
Could not see where the fuel had escaped and had no time to bugger around looking, so I simply hooked up a small outboard motor plastic fuel tank to the fuel line ahead of the dual tank switch. One advantage of the little marine tank is that it has a 'squeeze bulb' that allows you to push fuel all the way to the fuel pump and beyond. The tank sits in the bed with the hose running over the side to the fuel line. All is well and it sure is easier to see how much the truck burns - I doubt I'm getting more than about 5mpg!

Old 10-17-2007, 07:03 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Man that is a hell of a problem, for only getting 5 mpg, you should have like 600 horse!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Mr. Fixit
Senior User
Ya - there could be 600 horses in there but 500 must be asleep or lame... I only drive the old Ford a few miles each run - almost never fully heats up so that is a big part of the poor gas mileage. Still, she runs, is paid for and will carry over a yard of wet gravel, so I'm happy.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:04 AM
Zip
FTE Legend
Here are a couple pics.
The first is before the leveling kit. The second is with the kit and rear blocks installed.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:17 AM
Flatdeck
Senior User
Zip, that looks great! Do you find it riding any different with the levelling kit?

The first pic is how mine looks, nose down... although I already have the F-350 blocks in the rear.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:32 AM
Zip
FTE Legend
Thanks.

The ride seems as stiff as before but not as harsh, if that makes any sense. I tried to find some F350 blocks but could not find any used. During the process of looking for blocks I realized I had no blocks and a rather large spring pack. I would look under the truck and think something just doesn't look like it should, but what it was took a long time to sink in. I went with the stock F250 blocks and am glad I did.

Even with the small difference in height it take awhile to adjust when stepping out of the truck.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:37 AM
Flatdeck
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mr. Fixit
Flatdeck: in the first post of this thread you mentioned you were thinking about LED tail lights. Have you seen these? If so, are they any good? Plan to get a pair but I would really like to see them 'in the flesh' first...
<www.florapse.com> go to Vehicle lights; then Truck & Trailer LEDs; then LED StopTail&Turn; LED 4" round premium STT.
Whoops, sorry, I missed this post.

I had a look at that light; they look similar to the lights I bought from Princess Auto (55-LED I think), but of course you can't tell by the photo. I noticed that the lights with lots of LEDs but with a low current-draw are tough to see in sunlight. I've seen other lights with less LEDs that were considerably brighter. Even my 2.5" marker lights are MUCH brighter than these tail lights (I think the markers have 12 super-bright LEDs in them, and there's 3 across the back of the deck just above the license plate, putting my tail lights to shame, lol). Btw, those markers are also from Princess Auto and I'm really happy with them. Also have one in each corner on the deck sides; red at the rear, amber at the front.

So I think I will stick with the Princess Auto lights for now as they're working, but will wait for a bit for LED technology to improve, say in another year, and then look for some really bright tail lights.

I did see one light with magnifying bubbles built into the plastic lens, which I thought was a good idea. Don't remember what site it was on.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:40 AM
Flatdeck
Senior User
Haha, I re-read my first post, and yes, I went to Princess Auto to buy the side markers and rear lights (they're 2.5", not 2"), and the tail lights were on sale so I bought them too. So all of the deck lights are LEDs except for the license plate lights.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:24 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Zip the truck looks great!

Old 10-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Mr. Fixit
Senior User
Thanks Flatdeck for the 'LED' reply - it's interesting that the lower number of LEDs in the light unit would be brighter. I'll get out to Princess one of these days - just have to pick a good time... the traffic mess out there near the Port Mann bridge can be frustrating.
You're right about LED technology - there was an article in the Sun a few months back stating that big improvements are coming soon. Can't wait for nice colour household bulbs (similar to the incandescents) to be available at a good price.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:39 AM
Flatdeck
Senior User
I sure am glad they built a Princess Auto in Coquitlam. No more treks out to Langley.

Speaking of household LEDs, I am looking around for the LED replacements for the halogen bulbs found in pot lights... the ceiling pots, not grow-op lights. Anyways, BC Hydro has mentioned them in their ads about energy-saving bulbs, but I have not found any, anywhere. I suspect that everyone is trying to sell off their halogen stock before they bring out the LEDs, because once the LEDs hit the shelves the halogens won't sell.

Picked up a set of used tires today, BFG All-Terrain KO's, 265x75R-16D at 80%... I know we're supposed to use E, but the price was right, and I got a flat 2 days ago (ran over something metal with a spike, at night) so I needed something, and the weather is turning crappy, and I believe I'm still under the max load cap at 65 psi. Truck drives nicer now than it did with the previous tire medley, plus the old tires were 235x85R-16 so they're a bit taller.

It'll be nice when Canadian tire prices match American tire prices... yeah, that'll happen soon.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:11 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
You can get away with 8 ply tires no problem with your truck Flatdeck. I have installed tons and tons of 8 plys on Super Duty trucks, and there was never a problem. The only time a ten ply tire is a ncessity, is if you do alot of heavy hauling, or towing. Then its best to get a ten ply.

Quick Reply: What's everyone doing? (truck work)