Sponsored by:

1988 - Sloppy Floorshift

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2001, 07:46 PM
Mulletwagon
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1988 - Sloppy Floorshift

Just today floorshift loosened up to the point that I have to fish for gears (4.9L w/5 speed OD Mazda trans). In additional to excessive laterial play also have about a half inch of vertical play. Suspect the problem is where the shift lever interfaces with the shift rails/forks. Expect to pull the top cover assembly off in the next few days. Can anybody offer any advanced wisdom ??

Old 08-03-2001, 02:09 PM
Mulletwagon
Senior User
1988 - Sloppy Floorshift

I understand your problem and know exactly what the fix is since I am you. The nylon bushings that surround the lower floorshift shaft ball are completely disintegrated and have fallen into the gear box. The fix is to remove the three small bolts that hold the shift shaft dust boot to the trans, pull up the floorshift assembly and replace the bushings. Whole job can be done through the floorshift boot hole. The bushings are available from Ford for $13 a pair. If you would have asked me later, I would have told you it is not necessary to drop the trans, but since you did, might as well change the clutch disk, concentric slave cylinder, throw out bearing, and pilot bearing. BTW, the trans is the size of the space shuttle and weighs as much - really tough on the stones !!

Good Luck---
Thanx----

Old 08-12-2001, 08:52 PM
ehockey2000
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 - Sloppy Floorshift

Mulletwagon.... can you give me some more details on this. We have gotten the same problem recently. I have pulled up the boot assembly and it appears that we need to take the shifter off by removing 1 bolt holding it and then remove a plate that has 3 screws holding it. After that I can't really see exactly what to do. I have purchased a bushing and a thin metal washer from ford and it appears that their is still a bushing in good shape at the top of the shift ball. Any help would be apprecaited...

Thanks,
ehockey2000

Old 08-13-2001, 09:20 PM
Mulletwagon
Senior User
1988 - Sloppy Floorshift

Removing the floorshift is cute. The nut located laterally to the shift must be removed and placed on the opposite stud and tightened. This pulls a wedge fitting to the left and allows removal of the upper shift shaft. Next remove the three Torx type screws from the dust boot cover. Pull up the boot and than the lower shift shaft. The bushings are two identical halves. The lower bushing must be forced in the recess noting that the two studs which keep the shift ball aligned must be located with the cutouts in the bushing. A "wave" spring goes under the bottom bushing and over the top bushing. In my case, one of the alignment studs was backing out. To prevent this from happening again, I put a radiator hose clamp around the outside to keep both studs in place. Also, be sure to grease up the bushings during assembly. Everything considered, not too difficult a job. HTH

Good Luck

Old 08-16-2001, 04:20 PM
galaxiefiveohoh
Senior User
1988 - Sloppy Floorshift

Old 08-17-2001, 09:47 PM
ehockey2000
New User
1988 - Sloppy Floorshift

Hey, appreciate the directions on replacing the bushings to remove the slop in the gear shift. We completed the job this evening and the directions were great it probably took us about a hour to complete the replacement. Were sure it was a big savings from having it done at the ford dealer. Thanks again.....

Old 08-18-2001, 09:21 PM
Mulletwagon
Senior User
1988 - Sloppy Floorshift

Glad it worked out. Getting work done by a commercial technocrat should always be a last choice. It is almost always cheaper to by a special tool if needed, do some homework and then do the job yourself. Love a success story.

Good on ya !!