6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

truck is in

Old 04-25-2007, 03:22 PM
G & L
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck is in

I ordered a F-350 cab and chassis 2-23-07 and dealer called today that it is in.
I went to see it and looks good but they did forget to send my spare tire and rim. its on the build sheet. on oversite on my part is when you order allum. wheels you get 4 of them not 6, thats only a problem when you rotate wheels. I will pick it up firday, just to busy right now.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Big Sky Rancher
Senior User
Hey G&L we can't believe you until you post pictures.

So tell us about how you like your new ride.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:43 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by G & L
I ordered a F-350 cab and chassis 2-23-07 and dealer called today that it is in.
I went to see it and looks good but they did forget to send my spare tire and rim. its on the build sheet. on oversite on my part is when you order allum. wheels you get 4 of them not 6, thats only a problem when you rotate wheels. I will pick it up firday, just to busy right now.
This is because 6 forged AL wheels will not fit.
"The wheels are centered on a machined surface on the rear end. With the extra thickness of the aluminum wheel on the inside rear, there isn't enough machined surface to center the outside rear wheel. The studs aren't long enough for 2 aluminum wheels."

Old 05-05-2007, 06:22 PM
G & L
Junior User
Originally Posted by blackhat620
This is because 6 forged AL wheels will not fit.
"The wheels are centered on a machined surface on the rear end. With the extra thickness of the aluminum wheel on the inside rear, there isn't enough machined surface to center the outside rear wheel. The studs aren't long enough for 2 aluminum wheels."
thanks for that resonse, I do understand your explaination but that brings up another question--- is there gonna be a problem with two different metals making contact together like that, I wonder about them fussing together?

Old 05-05-2007, 06:46 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by G & L
thanks for that resonse, I do understand your explaination but that brings up another question--- is there gonna be a problem with two different metals making contact together like that, I wonder about them fussing together?
Not unless you leave them together for a long time. If you rotate your tires every 5K you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:58 PM
G & L
Junior User
thanks blackhart

Old 05-06-2007, 04:47 PM
tn mac
Posting Guru
If you rotate every 5k that would mean breaking down the tires and switching to diff. rim that will cost a bundle, most people with dualies dont rotate the cost is more then the gain of rotating. 18 wheelers dont rotate.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:17 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tn mac
If you rotate every 5k that would mean breaking down the tires and switching to diff. rim that will cost a bundle, most people with dualies dont rotate the cost is more then the gain of rotating. 18 wheelers dont rotate.
Why?

You can rotate dual wheel setups a couple of different ways. 1) The inner rears from side to side and the outer rears to the front or 2) you can rotate from side to side only, as the FMC Owners Manual suggests. Either way will maximize tire life and you don't have to dismount the tires. The front tires benefit the most from rotation anyway.

Here is a direct quote from the FMC Owners Manual
"DRW – Six tire rotation
If your vehicle is equipped with dual rear wheels it is recommended that the front and rear tires (in pairs) be rotated only side to side. We do not recommend splitting up the dual rear wheels. Rotate them side to side as a set/pair. After tire rotation, inflation pressures must be adjusted for the tires new positions in accordance with vehicle requirements."

Old 05-06-2007, 09:47 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why?

You can rotate dual wheel setups a couple of different ways. 1) The inner rears from side to side and the outer rears to the front or 2) you can rotate from side to side only, as the FMC Owners Manual suggests. Either way will maximize tire life and you don't have to dismount the tires. The front tires benefit the most from rotation anyway.

Here is a direct quote from the FMC Owners Manual
"DRW – Six tire rotation
If your vehicle is equipped with dual rear wheels it is recommended that the front and rear tires (in pairs) be rotated only side to side. We do not recommend splitting up the dual rear wheels. Rotate them side to side as a set/pair. After tire rotation, inflation pressures must be adjusted for the tires new positions in accordance with vehicle requirements."
to rotate the rears to the front they still need to be peeled off the rim, put onto the new rim, re-balanced then thrown back onto the truck

Old 05-07-2007, 12:54 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
to rotate the rears to the front they still need to be peeled off the rim, put onto the new rim, re-balanced then thrown back onto the truck
Why? The rims on the front are the same as the ones on the rear.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:53 PM
greenham64
Senior User
The rims don't all weight exactly the same, nor do the tires....hence the reason for weights.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:12 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by greenham64
The rims don't all weight exactly the same, nor do the tires....hence the reason for weights.

You Do Not need to peel the tires off the rims to rotate back to front on a dually!

As far as balancing the wheel assembly tires and wheels should be rebalanced at least every 10K miles and if they have aggressive tread then every 5K miles for maximum tire life.

If you purchase your tires from Discount Tire for instance, rotation and balancing (and flat repair) are free for the life of the tires.

Hope this helps

Old 05-07-2007, 02:30 PM
66stang351
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You Do Not need to peel the tires off the rims to rotate back to front on a dually!

As far as balancing the wheel assembly tires and wheels should be rebalanced at least every 10K miles and if they have aggressive tread then every 5K miles for maximum tire life.

If you purchase your tires from Discount Tire for instance, rotation and balancing (and flat repair) are free for the life of the tires.

Hope this helps
If you have inside polish on the outside dual, outside polish on the front and steel on the inside dual you would need to dismount, remount and balance.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Creekowl
Junior User
I agree w/ stang. You need to change rims to rotate. Even if it is free, it is a hassle to take to a shop and have done, and the minimum wage laborers dismounting and mounting your nice aluminum wheels are going to ding them up. My theory on a dually is to rotate the fronts side to side to avoid cupping, and replace the two front tires after 30,000 to 40,000 miles. I get at least 60,000 on my rear tires with no rotation at all. And, never had the wheels stick together either, at least so bad they couldn't be separated.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:18 PM
firehawk198
Elder User
I didn't rotate my tires on my DRW until about 35,000 miles. They did not have any noticeable cupping that you could see. They were still in good shape at 50,000 miles. They would probably have gone another 5,000 before the tread was just worn down. I did notice a difference in steering when I did rotate them all. That must be why chevy uses mostly steal painted rims on its DRW to make it easier to swap. But those steel rims are just a turn off to me.

Search this Thread