Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Senior User

ebbnflow is starting off with a positive reputation.
B100 and "The Hutch Mod"

I brew my own Bio and just got a 55 gallon replacement tank form AeroTank for my 02 F250 7.3. I want to do the "Hutch mod" when I change the tanks over, but I am concerned about the compression union fittings that I see most folks are using. They look to be made out of copper or brass. I have read that copper and brass are not compatible with biodiesel. What are your thoughts? Anyone running B100 with a Hutch mod?

Thanks
Old 04-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Senior User

Murphy2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
While it is true that copper and brass are not compatable with biodiesel, the real question is "how not compatable".

Long term contact can cause a problem but since the fuel is only in contact for a few seconds most of the time, it should be fine.

This is true for a copper fitting or two.. Not for an entire copper line.

I would not worry about it..
Old 04-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Senior User

The copper/brass fittings for the hutch mod are inside the fuel tank. They will be submerged in diesel or B100 whenever the tank is full. Thanks for your feedback murphy.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Postmaster

Fat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to all
ITP sells a pickup tube that you can attach an aluminum fitting to. The connection point would be outside the cap of the tank. I'm going to do just that when I get the chance to re-do my fuel system. Right now I am running B99 pretty much exclusively so maybe I'm a lab rat for finding out how long that brass fitting I have submerged will last.
Early 99 F250 PSD 4x4 CC 6spd Common Mods 300,000+ Miles, No longer driven daily
1964 Falcon Convert 289 Toploader 9" 4 Wheel Disks
Nov '10 Recipient: "dedicated report-back tech thread poster" award!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:01 AM
Posting Guru

kennedyford is starting off with a positive reputation.
You can also modify the hutch mod and harpoon mod with just normal fuel line. I think your thinking of the harpoon mod in the tank and the hutch mod is the replacement of the fittings outside the fuel tank. Removing the ability for air to be sucked into that fitting. Most the guys here dont have the 7.3 newer except for Fat and a few others. No your not the lab rat. I think the Phydeaux or Fab will be better suited to tell what the reaction is. I think it just has to do with the amount of oxygen in the fuel, but it wouldnt be any more then oxy in the air we breath right?
Old 05-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Senior User

Thanks for your relpies. I went and ordered stainless steel fittings from Mc-Master Carr. I felt it was better to be safe than sorry. Fat Diesel, I'm curious what your brass fittings will look like whne you drop your tank.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:04 PM