General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

SNOW in Washington DC!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 05:58 AM
DailyDriver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SNOW in Washington DC!!!

Old 12-05-2002, 08:20 AM
dcexplorer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SNOW in Washington DC!!!

Finally! We get some decent snow in Washington DC! The federal government is on liberal leave policy, so most people are staying at home. We have about five inches of the fluffy white stuff, so I had to get out and play in it in my Explorer. I kept getting stuck behind rear-wheel-drive cars that couldn't make it up hills, though FWD cars seem to be doing OK. I saw a lot of people in SUVs passing the stuck cars by going up on the median, so I had to try that too.

Old 12-05-2002, 09:29 AM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SNOW in Washington DC!!!

That's a blast, isn't it. Being from Wisconsin, I love snow and I love driving in it. When I was in the military I lived in Jacksonville, NC for 3 years. It only snowed twice in that time and only about 1-2 inches. You would have thought the town was under a nuclear attack. People ran to the grocery store and stocked up on food and water then went home and stayed there.

As soon as the first flake stuck to the ground, everything shut down and we all got to go home. I went and drove around in it for a few hours and had a blast in my little nissan puckup! I saw more cars in the ditches in those two hours that I've seen in all the years I've been driving.

I'll never forget the news cast that night and the things the people were saying. I wish I would've taped it. The best line was from a lady that slid into a tree going about 5 mph. She said, "I don't understand it. I slammed on my brakes when I started sliding and I couldn't steer.".

K.

Old 12-05-2002, 10:04 AM
hawk
Posting Guru
SNOW in Washington DC!!!

Just heard on the radio, that they closed the state police barracks in Was DC. what a laugh!!! man do these people panic!!!

Old 12-05-2002, 10:09 AM
AOGDEN
Senior User
SNOW in Washington DC!!!

I love to watch the weather channel and see what happens when snow hits the areas that aren't used to it. Being in central/upstate NY we get more than our fair share of it. I drive a 2002 Ranger 2wd and don't usually have much trouble getting around. It really is fun to watch people that arn't used to it slide around .

Old 12-05-2002, 10:09 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
SNOW in Washington DC!!!

Yes, that same storm just came through here in Kentucky as well. With these 4.10 LS gears, my truck did very well...even in 2-wheel drive. I'm very proud of it! These types of days are when the poor fuel economy pays off! :-X12

Old 12-05-2002, 02:00 PM
fordmaniac21
Elder User
SNOW in Washington DC!!!

its good to finally see snow again. i am in the marine corps and been stuck here for almost 5 years. i grew up in colorado so i am used to the snow. the first year it snowed i remember trying to go to the mall for something to do , we did it all the tim back home when school got closed, and it was closed. i was likeProfanity Removed. its 2 inches of snow. its suprising these locals dont know how to drive as it is but throw a little bit of snopw on the ground and look out. they go crazy and freak out over it.
'75 F-100 4x4, 4" lift
35x15.5x15 super swamper TSL/SX
mini-spooled 9" rear end
390 w/ cam,headers,
and 4 barrell edelbrock

TRIED TRUE and FORD BLUE

Old 12-05-2002, 02:02 PM
brienobrien
Elder User
SNOW in Washington DC!!!

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 05-Dec-02 AT 03:07 PM (EST)]I moved to Ct from Vermont. Need I say more. It is amazing. Here in southern New England you would think they would be better equipped to handle the snow. They are'nt. They close school on the first news report of impending snow no matter how little of accumulation predicted. All the moms and grandmoms rush to the supermarket and clean out the shelves of bread and milk. I have never seen anything like it. I can't figure out what they do with all of that bread & milk.

I just make sure my bar is stocked. No need for bread or milk.

The inexperienced go sliding across the roadways, even in SUV vehicles. A false sense of security coupled with inexperienced drivers I suppose.

Me, I just watch the circus performances with the fireplaces going, a cocktail in one hand, and a munchy, in the other. If I go out, it is on skis, snow shoes, or in boots to play around. I will leave the driving to others, or wait until everyone is settled and off the roads, either in the ditches, or at home.

Old 12-05-2002, 03:06 PM
Knobby4604X4
Senior User
SNOW in Washington DC!!!

Judging by the excitement in the title, none of y'all spent the last 9 hours plowing the "Snow in Washington, D.C.!!!"
Let it melt fast!
I watched a Montero kill a street sign while I was plowing. Not that impressive except that it was a completely straight stretch of road that V.D.O.T. had plowed FOUR times. Nobody was around this guy, he just lost control and murdered that innocent little street sign....
What is really embarrassing is to be lumped in with all of these people. I have lived here all my life, and know how to handle my vehicle. Others apparently do not! I left the house around 5:30 this morning, and few streets had been plowed, and yet a fellow in a Geo Metro PASSED ME!! I so badly wanted to speed up and follow him just to watch him wreck, but alas, I had to remain sensible.
The best part was listening to the radio station morning show and hearing the listeners call in with reports of locations where expensive SUVs had spun out or flipped! I can hear it now,(What happened? I have four wheel drive!)

Old 12-05-2002, 03:20 PM
brienobrien
Elder User
SNOW in Washington DC!!!

>.
> The best part was listening to the radio station morning
>show and hearing the listeners call in with reports of
>locations where expensive SUVs had spun out or flipped! I
>can hear it now,(What happened? I have four wheel drive!)

I love it. They think they are invincible. The inexperienced make all SUV s look bad. Too many soccer moms and not enough sense behind the wheel. When I lived in VT in 1973 I had a 3/4 ton Dodge Power Wagon. It would crawl up the side of one mountain and down the next. I would pull Hogback Mtn in snowstorms and pull idiot city drivers out of snowbanks and mud thick roads just to make my beer money.:+ Needless to say I bought lots of rounds and was a popular guy

Old 12-05-2002, 03:38 PM
ForDen
Senior User
SNOW in Washington DC!!!

I'm green with envy of you guys that are actually getting snow. It's blue skies and 47 degrees out here in Denver and no snow in sight. A little for the mountains, but none down here to play in. You guys are dead on about the SUV's empowering their drivers because they have 4 wheel drive. "Whattya mean it doesn't stop faster, it's 4 wheel drive dude!" BrienO, stop talking about beer. You're killing me.

Old 12-05-2002, 03:51 PM
mick460
Elder User
SNOW in Washington DC!!!

Over the Thanksgiving weekend we made the trip to my mothers. She lives by herself about 175 miles from here. In the northeast part of the state. The thumb part of WI. Anyway snow is a regular thing to the locals there. It starts in Novemeber and stops when it wants to. It was snowing in the AM when we got up. Not hard but steady. We left about 4 hours later and the farther south we drove the heavier it got. About 25 miles into the trip we saw the only trouble of the day, yup a SUV from out of state. Stupid tourists. It was a little Blazer or whatever they call them now. The guy in his 30's had that look like what the heck happened. I'm sure he was dizzy. Sad part about it he didn't drive in he rolled in as in over and over and over. Not much good glass left and the 4 corners were well rounded.

Old 12-05-2002, 04:10 PM
theonlybull
Posting Guru
SNOW in Washington DC!!!

same thing here..... week b4 deer season, my snowtires go one, and i'm set for winter driving, but most of the locals, are still running thier all seasons that wore out 3 years ago... first snow, there's tons of accidents, and a BIG rush anywhere that sells tires that have tread on them.... meanwhile, me and my old ford are crusing around looking for an empty parking lot to play in.... or heading out to an accident with the fire department.... heck, 2 days ago, a car hit our rescue truck... she saw the truck comeing, and slamed on the brakes(goin down hill) and slid into the side of the truck... which was almost in the ditch trying to avoid her... if she'd let off the brakes, she'd have just driven on by.... some ppl

Old 12-06-2002, 07:47 AM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru
SNOW in Washington DC!!!

So Washington, D.C. froze over and Strom Thruman retired the same day. Coincidence, I think not.

Old 12-06-2002, 08:14 AM
groundrat
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SNOW in Washington DC!!!

Just tell me why the plow drivers think that leaving the blade 1-2 full inches of the ground is the right way to plow!!! I have seen so many accidents this morning on the "well plowed streets" of P.G County. Grrr... I think I am moving back to Mass... However it sure is pretty out there.

Bill

Quick Reply: SNOW in Washington DC!!!