6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

How's the 6.4l PSD's mileage and acceleration satisfying everyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:09 PM
claw302
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ford has abandoned the e-series. they are finishing up the remianing 6.0L power stroke installs. after that there is no more diesel in the e-series. the 6.4L will not fit in the e-series. ford has informed dealers the next e-series with a diesel will be 2011. that is ford digging their grave deaper. i believe the 5.9L cummins is far better then a 6.0L powerstroke. the new 6.4L is very quiet and has great throttle response with little to no turbo lag. funny thing is cummins now has a new 6.7L. the 6.7L is all new territory for cummins with emmisions. it will be good but i bet ford has the upper hand if they learned from the abortion 6.0L. the 4.6L powerstroke is the small sibling to the 6.4L. the 4.6L was out about 6months before the 6.4L. i bet ford has most of the bugs worked out and a very reliable diesel this time around.
---fuel mileage and reliability dont always mix---

Last edited by claw302; 04-24-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:10 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
Yep! there is a section for the vans ..........

Old 04-24-2007, 03:37 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jvoigt
Yep! there is a section for the vans ..........

Yes its in the Truck forum

Old 04-24-2007, 07:44 PM
Hanging_Heels
Junior User
just to throw my cents in... i am an owner of a 08 f250 6.4 psd 6ft bed and my dad is an owner of a 04 dodge 3500 cummins diesel dually 8ft bed (so yah, its probably a little heavier and longer since hes got the 8ft bed.... i'll give him that) but hes been saying that he would take me if we were to ever line em up and so fourth... so just this past week we caught a light together and we got it.... off the line i had him by a half of truck at 25mph and then once i hit 55ish alls i saw was him in my rear view pulling him farther and farther, got off it around 80ish and asked him what happened later on and alls he had to say was "im definetly impressed".... i ate him up, granted he does have a dually and it is heavier (im assuming) he should of atleast stayed with me a little better then he did becuase alls i saw was his headlights getting farther and farther from me as i gained speed.... and another thing these new 6.4's do not have any turbo lag, it does just get up and go with out hesitation.... no wait time whatsoever its just a beast... these trucks like to show you what they got... i drive it like i should drive it....6.4 TWIN TURBO V8 DIESEL, need i say anymore?? wait till the aftermarket companies perfect their chips, exhaust, and etc. for this truck... this thing is a beast waiting to come out of hibernation!!

Old 04-24-2007, 08:19 PM
tn mac
Posting Guru
Wait till your warranty is gone and you have to take the 6.4 in for work, and your dad has to take his cummins in for work you wont be smiling when they hand you the bill.Even if the engine is built well you will see that it so poorly enginered,as far as being able to work on them. open the hood on both trucks and tell me which one you would want to work on. Ford has the best truck, there is no doubt but the engine is doomed maint. nightmare

Old 04-24-2007, 08:42 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
^Admittedly thats a pretty valid point... for self maintenance, not much goes past a 12V Cummins.

However, lets hope you won't have to visit the dealer

Old 04-24-2007, 08:55 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
I can really apreciate an engine that is maintenance friendly......beleave me I used to work on F-16's $24,000,000.00 Each......what a Miantenance Nightmare. But now days not too many people keep a truck past the warranty experation date or milage.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:42 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tn mac
Wait till your warranty is gone and you have to take the 6.4 in for work, and your dad has to take his cummins in for work you wont be smiling when they hand you the bill.Even if the engine is built well you will see that it so poorly enginered,as far as being able to work on them. open the hood on both trucks and tell me which one you would want to work on. Ford has the best truck, there is no doubt but the engine is doomed maint. nightmare
You must have that tired old phrase permanently saved so that you can paste it into every thread on this forum. I think everyone has read your one and only thought enough times. PLEASE try bashing the 6.4 with some other thought next time.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Hanging_Heels
Junior User
Originally Posted by tn mac
yah when they hand me the bill that means i have over 100k miles on my truck and its time for another better 50k dollar truck purchase even though these trucks do have the potential to having way more mileage on them then that, its just a personal reference for me to get another new truck by that time.... so no worrries on that. thanks

Old 04-25-2007, 06:44 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
'Cmon now. We all have to admit.
Fords decision to design a truck that has to have the cab removed to do any major maintenance, is downright foolish!

Old 04-25-2007, 08:45 AM
elemint
Elder User
I agree with you. The problem is that Ford is marketing to the redneck market who want to brag about engine size. If Ford decided to go with a medium sized I6, 500,000 engine that one could work on they truely would have been the greatest truck on the road and would have a lot of of new Dodge and Chevy fans.

Originally Posted by fonefiddy
'Cmon now. We all have to admit.
Fords decision to design a truck that has to have the cab removed to do any major maintenance, is downright foolish!

Old 04-25-2007, 08:58 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by elemint
I agree with you. The problem is that Ford is marketing to the redneck market who want to brag about engine size. If Ford decided to go with a medium sized I6, 500,000 engine that one could work on they truely would have been the greatest truck on the road and would have a lot of of new Dodge and Chevy fans.
they upped the engine size due to environmental stuff, not so rednecks can brag about engine size

Old 04-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Enomra
Elder User
Lots of haters in the house

Ask a Ford tech what they think of the cab removal... My guess they all love it. My guess would also be that the other 2 will follow suite...

There are hundreds of thousands of 7.3 and 6.0 powerstrokes that have never had major work done. (that may require cab removal on the newer trucks) This new engine will be the same most wont know that the cab can be removed as it will never be an issue.

Lets let the new truck owners enjoy their rides without picking them apart.

Just like the 6.0 that some flame on and speculate about the problems that most never experienced.

We can nitpick every vehicle that has been made but in reality there are great vehicles and there and the owners don't need to start off looking for problems that will never exist...

Enjoy 6.4 owners!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-25-2007, 10:07 AM
firehawk198
Elder User
Enomra, good post, I agree, back to the original post. Last night for the first time I did come off a couple of traffic lights hard. I was surprised how quick it ran through the gears being 8700# 450. I have no need to push it that hard but wanted to satisfy my curiosity from this original post. My 99 350 with a stick was slow taking off. A low 1st gear, slow to get it into 2nd because it was a heavy-duty transmission. I did not buy it to drag race off lights. Bought it to tow and enjoy driving. All I know is I am really enjoying every minute I am in my 6.4 450. Those that want to criticize can waste their time and not enjoy life. There are a lot of great people on FTE that add to our knowledge that helped me and others.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:04 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
After driving my service advisor's personal F350 6.4L with a 15k# trailer attached, I find it hard to believe that anyone with a criticism about it's acceleration or abilities has ever actually driven one. This thing was not only scary quiet (I almost tried to re-start it twice while it was already running), but it took off like a rocket (read as: No turbo lag) w/trailer in tow. My '04 6.0L doesn't even compare. And for the record, I'm still very impressed with how well the 6.0L can get my truck up and moving. I didn't even bother to ask what type of MPG's he was getting, the truck ran so well, how many MPG's it was getting doing it, just didn't seem to matter at the moment (although with rising fuel prices it probably should've). I really like the Lil' Green Dually, but I'm seriously considering getting a 6.4L F350 dually. I'd get the 450, but to many nightmare stories about trying to insure those things for personal and not commercial use, and the fact that it would be overkill for me, just seems like more hassle than it's worth.

Quick Reply: How's the 6.4l PSD's mileage and acceleration satisfying everyone?