1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Pyro...Pre or post....install Foul up!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:07 AM
yukonsly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pyro...Pre or post....install Foul up!

Ok..so the saga continues. The garage put the pyro post turbo on the downpipe and they are not wanting to move it pre turbo...and offered to pay me back the $$....how much does it REALLY matter? They finally agreed to put it in pre turbo... but won't take responsibility for metal shavings or of anything falls in.....

WHAT SHOULD I DO??

Yukonsly

Old 04-23-2007, 11:25 AM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First question, which gauge and thermocoupler do you have, the pre-turbo set up or the post turbo set up?

If you have the right gauge and thermocoupler for the correct location it will not matter, but if you have a pre turbo gauge set up and put it post turbo, the color markings (green, yellow, red) on the gauge will be wrong.

Pre turbo is the perferred location for more exact readings from the engine.

Now the BIG QUESTION: Where do you want it? Have them put it WHERE YOU want it.
Hope this helps alittle.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:28 AM
jboard
Elder User
I believe the shavings are minimal if your worried about them then have them use a magnet to stick in the hole to grab them. Or stick a shopvac on the hole. I think the mag would work better. I believe that there is a few hundred degrees difference between pre and post turbo.
-------------Jeremy

Old 04-23-2007, 11:36 AM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Old 04-23-2007, 11:41 AM
yukonsly
Senior User
The gauge has no marking...Automoeter Z series....0-1400F.....

I want it where it is most accurate....but they have already made a whole in my downpipe....would that be an issue?....and they used the clamp method....

I just want was is best....most accurate...so I do not fry my turbo...that being said...what are the degrees to watch for ...post turbo?

The chip rocks...but I have to admit I don;t see much difference between the stock setting and the extreme one....I have an e-mail to Tony to figure that one out.

Pics to come...when I am done dealing with this.....but for now...WOW!!

Yukonsly....

Old 04-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Yukon, Glad to see you're making progress with your mods. The pre/post turbo question has been beat to death on the site. Either one is OK and both have there strong and weak points. Now that been said it's still your call. I would take the $$ and not worry. Just remember that 900-1000 degrees is "Let off the pedal" vs 1200-1400.

Foreman's right about the gage face. I believe the probes are the same for both set-ups. Maybe you could get them to buy the correct gage (and install it) instead of the $$. You're in the drivers seat on this one.

Where's the picts

Old 04-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Oop's slow typing

Old 04-23-2007, 11:56 AM
yukonsly
Senior User
I think that I will tell them to install pre-turbo...since it's what I wanted in the first place. most of the guys here seem to have it pre turbo...will make it easier to chat later on..and from what I gather...it is more accurate..

You guys would of been proud...I took it to them this morning...I was calm, polite....but thyy totally understood not to (BEEP) with me.....

My truck is going tomorrow to get the probe moved to the exhaust manifold.....

Yukonsly

Old 04-23-2007, 12:01 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
The only thing that sucks is you have to take full responsability for their work. I would just made sure they do something to get the shaving out.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:08 PM
yukonsly
Senior User
Yeah...but that being said...I will be on top of them every step of the way...And since I am cooled off...it might be easier to talk to them...even though I was calm....it was the eye of the storm .....but i'm much better now!

HAHAHA

Old 04-23-2007, 12:13 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
yukonsly, make sure that they weld up the hole in your down pipe!!!

Old 04-23-2007, 12:16 PM
yukonsly
Senior User
HAHAHAHA>.....that goes without saying!!....the other thing I forgot to mention...is...the instruction for the gauge says to put it in post turbo...on turbo models and closest to the head on non turbo...and the tech says he followed the install instructions...

As per the instruction...

Begin by installing the Thermocouple in the exhaust, then work back to the gauge. For turbo engines, install the probe 1-2 inches
from the turbo exhaust outlet. For non-turbo engines, install the probe 1-2 inches from the cylinder head. Installing the probe in the
proper location will insure optimal temperature readings.

I got away with them because....I had requested pre turbo..and they didn't call to let me know...or ask me other wise....

Yukonsly

Old 04-23-2007, 12:43 PM
yukonsly
Senior User
Can someone tell me the specs on the tubing they send witht the boost gauge...I kinked the crap out of mine and will need replace it...flutters like crazy....is there an upgraded tube I can use?

Yukonsly....

Old 04-23-2007, 01:11 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
It is standard plastic gauge tubing (1/8" I believe). They use it on oil pressure gauges also, and most auto parts stores carry the tubing and fittings. An up grade would be copper tubing, but if you use copper, make sure that it does not touch anything or it will wear a hole in it from the vibration. When I run copper tubing, I run it inside a small rubber hose to protect it.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:35 PM
yukonsly
Senior User
So I just talked to Tony....wish they were all nice like he is....told me I screwed up hahaha...I should not of put dielectric grease on the chip connectors...OOPS...that might be the reason the chip is behaving weird....deal with that later too....

Is it me? or is this supposed to be easy?...NOTHING has been easy so far I think my truck is cursed!

Yukonsly

Quick Reply: Pyro...Pre or post....install Foul up!