Air Conditioning Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 04:17 PM
mbeatles
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Conditioning Problem

I hope someone can help me with this problem! I live in north carolina and as most may know, the summers are very hot. At the end of last summer my A/C in my 98 Explorer Sport stopped blowing cold air. I thought maybe it would be need to be recharged so I hooked up the recharge kit and noticed something strange. The meter on the kit would read recharged and then I could hear what I think was the compressor kick in and the meter would read in the red, which I believe it said was overcharged. This cycle would repeat every 20 seconds or so. If anyone has any ideas what the problem may be that would be great. I am trying to avoid an expensive trip to the A/C repair man if I can help it. I have the 6 cyl. SOHC engine. Thanks

Old 04-07-2007, 06:48 PM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The first thing you need to do is throw that useless gauge deep into the trash can.
The only thing it can tell you is if the static pressure in the system is kinda, sorta ok at somewhere around 75 degrees ambient temp.
Beg, borrow, buy or steal a real manifold gauge set. Many parts stores are starting to rent them. Knowing the actual high and low side pressures is a must for troubleshooting.
From your description, it sounds like you may be a bit low on refrigerant. What was the outside temp. That cycling rate could be about normal at ~65-70 degrees.
Does the air temp at the outlets change temperature when you move the heat control? It's common for the blend door or actuator on Explorers to fail.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:16 PM
mbeatles
New User
Thank you guys for the info. I'll check around to see if anyone will rent a manifold gauge set. The temperature outside was around 85F. As for the temperature change at the outlets, I'll check that out tomorrow. Thanks again.

Mike

Old 04-08-2007, 12:40 PM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mbeatles
Thank you guys for the info. I'll check around to see if anyone will rent a manifold gauge set. The temperature outside was around 85F. As for the temperature change at the outlets, I'll check that out tomorrow. Thanks again.

Mike
Auto Zone stores in my area rent gauge sets. The net cost when you return it is $0. Also, check with tool/equipment rental places. It will cost you a few bucks there, but it will be money well spent.
At 85degrees, the cycling rate sounds a little fast. You may be a little low on refrigerant. The High and Low side pressures will tell for sure. Don't add any refrigerant until you know for sure.
A quick check for the AC is to feel the accumulator can. It should be cold and sweaty.
The blend door on an Explorer is always suspect. Even if the AC is not working, you should feel a large temperature change between Full Cold and Full Hot. You'll know Full Hot when you feel it, Full Cold should be within 5-10 degrees of the outside temp after a couple of minutes. (with no AC)If it feels noticably warmer, the blend door isn't closing fully.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:45 PM
JMK
New User
AC PRoblems

I think your guage is good enuf; last year had exact same symptoms paid $400 for the following:
Dealer repair---"found high resistance in PCM to AC relay. Repaired circuit and AC operates properly" Which it did, now doesn't work again.

I was hoping this forum would tell me how to do this.
Thanks