6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

LIPD ultra econo SCT file

Old 04-21-2007, 02:12 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LIPD ultra econo SCT file

This thread will be a log of what Matt tunes and I test and log.

I finally got off my butt and had enough time to install my gauges. With no tunes til Matt emails them too me, I had a chance to take some base run readings on a stock tune.

The truck, its in the sig line, as for the particulars, its all stock except for the cat/muffler delete. My boost gauge is installed in the elbow, not tee'd inline. The fitting is installed flush with the inside wall of the intake elbow. (knowing how presicion measurement of flow and pressure is aquired, this was a no brainer for me, very easy to accomplish just take your time) My thermocouple is installed pre turbo and as close to the middle of the exhaust stream as possible as well as being inline with the #8 cylinder port. (I also have a preconceived notion about the accuracy of EGT readings as well, which is why I suggest installing the thermocouple in this location)

Baseline temps
Not very hilly around here so keep that in mind for compairison.
1. WOT with the trans shifting @3200 rpm I could only get it to 1100 deg.
2. 55 MPH 750-800deg.
3. 70 MPH 800-950deg.
4. 75 MPH 850-1000deg.

5. Trans temp was constant @ 165 deg.

6. I was able to achieve 30 psi of Boost max no matter how hard I tried.

My mileage has been around 12.5-13.5 mpg driving on back roads and highways, 60 MPH with a lot of stops and slower speeds entering and exiting leases. I have probably close to #1500 of tools and equipment in the truck and I am running 285 tires. (Toyo Open Country A/T)

I am towing my toyhauler to Florida Next weekend, and I will post those numbers for those interested in towing.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:59 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Got some files from Matt a short time ago. Version 1 lowered EGT an average of 100 degrees, max boost was 26. Turbo lag from a dead stop was reduced but still there (yeah keep wishing). First impressions were very good, no puking, very drivable although were working on a few of the finer points. With less boost, lower egts the truck feels like its a tad above stock performance and the shifting is dead in the middle of the powerband which makes drive way better than stock when you floorboard the peddle. Prospects are good, I was very impressed with this tune being a 1st version with very little drivability issues. Proof once again of Matts tuning ability. It will probably be a few weeks of running and testing before I have any valid numbers. I think it is going to go quicker than I had first anticipated though. Thanks Matt. Off to test tune number 2.

Stay tuned.........................................

Old 04-21-2007, 06:26 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Ok, revision 1 is good enough to start using as a base file. For everyone who has been used to a gasser and the way the accelerator feels on one, Matt has the dead peddle issue addressed and it drives as close to a gas motor peddle wise over anything I have run in it including stock. I know some people will like this feature, he can adjust it any way you like.

I will be reporting MPG results from the first tank as soon as tuesday and probably 2 more tanks before the weekend. I will get the stock and tuned towing mileage posted as soon as the following monday. Revision 1 has definatly more power than stock still with the same parameters, no puking (10 consectuative wot from a dead stop-85mph is good enough for me) still max 26 psi boost, and no matter how hard I tried could not get the egt above 1000deg. Trans temp never changed still 165deg.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:14 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Didn't get a chance to tow with it due to issues beyond my control. However been running it since we got back last sunday and the perliminary numbers are 3.5 mpg increase city/country highway driving. It has been consistant 100 deg lower egt over the entire operating range, city or highway driving. I will have some unloaded pure intestate mileage in 2 weeks. I will also be testing towing my utility trailer to verify against mileage I was getting stock pulling it as well. More to come..........stay tuned.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:34 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
keep it coming ryan, im very interested in your results, ill be calling jeremy in the next two weeks or so , i need to figure out what tunes i want and this sounds like a possibility!

Old 05-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Customz
Postmaster
those stock egts seem kind high to me. I run 800* @ 75 mph, no egr. 55-60 mph is 600-700* on the flats.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:12 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
My egr is still hooked up. It is what it is. The air is much dryer where you live in compairison to here in northwest Louisiana. Also do you carry 1500 lbs of weight in your truck everyday?

Old 05-07-2007, 06:20 AM
ford4lifer
Senior User
I second mrxlh, I run with anywhere from 1000lbs to 2000lbs of tools and stuff in my truck everyday and live in NW Fla, however have been too busy to put gauges in new truck and I run Matt's tunes aswell. Now in my 04 at WOT running one of Matt's race tunes I would see egt's as high as 1400 (not for very long cools off very fast when letting off) and boosting over 35psi and speeds of over 100+mph. I didn't reach 1400 til I got into the 75+mph range at WOT.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Enomra
Elder User
mrxlh: Great post and keep it coming there are many people on this site that are in the market for a tuner and your results may sway them. If you get a chance can you try one of Matt's tunes with the aggressive tow haul and report back. I miss the original tow haul on my old 2003 6.0. It would actually slow the truck and trailer down to almost a stop. You almost never had to use your brakes....

Old 05-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Jocaren
Elder User
My egts get over 1500 with ultra comp but it goes riht back down when i let off, its one crazy tune though

Old 05-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Customz
Postmaster
the egr connected will do it...

Old 05-07-2007, 09:43 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Keep in mind everyone........this ain't no "saturday night special" tune. It is all about mileage, 3.5-4 mpg improvement is real and sellable. If it is just a tad more power than stock, that is it, absolutly just a tad more. It shifts like it should have from the factory, towing or empty. I have been averaging 760deg @70 MPH flat the last couple of days. No more than 900 deg uphill @70-75. I want this thing to repeat in a bad way, but it might not. That is whay I say stay tuned. I will be traveling to St. Louis next weekend, hopefully all will "line up" for unloaded highway miles. More to come.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:30 PM
dougc
Senior User
Ok--where do you get the tuner and program?

Old 05-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
Those are great mpg improvements. Very impressive!!

Old 05-08-2007, 08:51 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
You can get the tuner from LIPD, SCT xcal II. The program, might be a little while as it is still being tested, but it will only be available from LIPD. I towed my 16ft. utility trailer today with 525 gallons of water, 35 gallons of soap, and a pressure washer. Total weight was about 5600#. EGT sustained on flat terrain was 820. Up grade was no higher than 940. Mileage from this tank will be combined towing/and unloaded. Best I got stock in this same scenario was 10.5-11.5 mpg. This is just about as controlled of a test as it gets, I run the same route everyday, down the same roads, the same speeds. Still no signs of puking.......Mileage report tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LIPD ultra econo SCT file