Questions about roller/SFI converison.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 11:05 PM
monkei
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions about roller/SFI converison.

Anybody know which roller/heads I can use with an edelbrock truck efi 5.0 manifold and l&l longtubes?
I plan on getting a roller block soon but I'm pretty sure roller heads from a mustang wont match up to the lower manifold/header ports.
*Do I have to use heads from a 94-95 MAF/SFI truck to make it work?
*Can I convert my flat tappet heads to roller and go to the H.O./roller firing order?
*Does a H.O./roller block have a different crank because of the different order or is that all in the valvetrain?
Ive already got a computer/ICM/Dist from an e40d 94 bronco but I still have some issues to sort out there. I also need to figure out where the camshaft position sensor should be (cam sprocket, dist gear). Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Try the 5.0L forum for expert 5.0L advice!

Old 04-21-2007, 02:01 PM
petes79f150
Posting Guru
All 302 Windsor/5.0 heads are interchangeable.
The heads are the same whether hyd. flat or roller cam.
The roller block has taller lifter bosses to control the taller roller lifters. The cranks are the same, it's the cam that changes the firing order, which makes the HO/ roller cams interchangeable with a hyd. flat cam simply by changing the plug wire locations at the cap. Remember, all heads are not created equal. Post your casting numbers on the smallblock forum to find out if what you've got are any good. Use the search function over there, ther's tons of info on the best heads for your application.

pete

Old 04-22-2007, 02:30 AM
monkei
More Turbo
You're saying the intake/ehaust port shapes will be the same on car/truck heads?

I'm converting to the 1-3-7 H.O. order when i get a roller block. I have the right harness/ecu for it. Can I just use a H.O firing order roller cam/roller lifters with the existing truck heads on a roller block. I know those mate up well to my intake and headers, im not so sure about mustang/explorer heads.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:50 AM
petes79f150
Posting Guru
Yes and yes. Like I said, do a search in the smallblock forum for GT40 heads. There's 25 pages of threads full of info on this very subject.

Pete

Old 04-25-2007, 06:38 PM
monkei
More Turbo
"The roller block has taller lifter bosses to control the taller roller lifters."

The lifters go between cam and pushrod to push the side of the rocker arm opposite the spring and valve right? If the roller block has taller lifter bosses does that mean it has more meat in the casting for deeper or taller lifter bores, are the pushrods shorter?

Does this mean that if you use a roller conversion kit on a flat tappet block those roller lifters are shorter than in a roller block?

Last edited by monkei; 04-25-2007 at 06:50 PM.