Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Senior User

shocky111 is starting off with a positive reputation.
limp mode

What puts the tranny in limp mode? What happens while in limp mode? Is damage being done? 2004 6.0, torque shift tranny.

Thanks
Shocky
Old 04-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Senior User

Joms is starting off with a positive reputation.
Never heard of 'limp' mode before...
Old 04-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Senior User

shocky111 is starting off with a positive reputation.
well stay tuned then...we're both about to learn a thing or two...I hope.

FYI...torque converter wont allow tranny to shift because of an over torque situation. Common with tuners.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Posting Guru

Casey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocky111
FYI...torque converter wont allow tranny to shift because of an over torque situation. Common with tuners.
FYI the torque converter has no control over the trans. When the PCM tells the trans to shift, the torque converter can't prevent the shift.

Limp home mode is when the PCM detects a severe transmission problem. The PCM limits the transmission operation to try and prevent damage. A lot of people say that limp home is only a certain gear, but that isn't correct. The PCM decides what the trans can still do with the failure that it has, and uses what is still useable.

An example of limp home would be if the PCM detected that the pressure control solenoid that operates the overdrive clutch didn't work. In that case 2nd and 5th gears wouldn't work, so the trans will shift 1-3-4, since that's all that it can do.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Elder User

Enomra is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Enomra is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've never heard of a Torque shift going into or having a limp mode. The Allison trany (witnessed a 2002 DMax in limp mode) has a limp mode and it will go into limp mode with a tuner and a moderate to heavy load. It is controlled by the TCM and not the torque converter... Then again I could be wrong. I'm sure some one will correct me if I am.
2007 Expedition EB. 4x4
Past trucks 87,88,91,93,94,96,97,99,01,03 all Fords!!!!
Old 04-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Got Diesel?

Beachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to all
The motor will go into limp-mode when certain operating parameters are met (not sure how the tranny is affected). For example, with cooling issues, it will not allow the motor over a certain RPM.

Hopefully, one of the techs will chime in, but I bet a search of "limp mode" will turn up something here or on the net. I know the motor has it, just do not know the specifics.
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Bilstein Shocks & Steering Stabilizer
BriteBox Headlight Module / Marinco AC Block Heater Plug
Old 04-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Senior User

EZ-Ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just wish they had come up with a different name. 'Limp Mode' is not a very manly name for something on a diesel....
8oz PS Diesel Kleen in every tank
Old 04-24-2007, 11:44 AM
New User

cwacaster is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 05 F-250 went into limp mode while driving once. While in limp mode it ran like it was governed at 50mph. The service department at the dealership said it was because the EGR valve was stuck. They replaced the EGR under warranty and I haven't had any more problems.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Post Fiend

msgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to behold
BBC, do you know what year models have this feature?

We live in the Land Of The Free...BECAUSE of the Brave! My humble thanks to all Veterans, past and present
Old 04-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Got Diesel?

Beachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgtg
BBC, do you know what year models have this feature?
No... but I think all 6.0L motors have it - regardless of model year... its just a feature of the programing and the motor's capabilities (at least with Ford's programming being used in the PCM).
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Bilstein Shocks & Steering Stabilizer
BriteBox Headlight Module / Marinco AC Block Heater Plug
Old 04-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Post Fiend

msgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to behold
K, thanks dude!

We live in the Land Of The Free...BECAUSE of the Brave! My humble thanks to all Veterans, past and present
Old 04-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Earlier Ford trucks had it too...thr tranny was the topic of this post...my '92 F250 would go into "limp home" mode when the vss module went out and also when the fluid level got too low. It would upshift really HARD and the overdrive lamp would blink to tell you it was in "limp home" mode. Codes would also show up when I took it in for repair....Can't really remember what they did...maybe changed fluid. Finally had to have the tranny overhauled - at about 150,000 miles. Never had the problem again.

2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel
2012 VW Passat SE TDI - SG-II (An ALL-DIESEL family)
Old 04-24-2007, 04:13 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2000, 9903, bilstein, excursion, explorer, f150, f350, ford, forum, home, limp, mode, rancho, southwind, transmission