Where to place thermometer sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 02:34 AM
grelch
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to place thermometer sensor

Hello,

I recently bought an outside temperature digital thermometer for my 91 F250 from the local auto parts store, and installed it. So, now I am looking for suggestions for the best place to mount the sensor to obtain the most accurate readings. Everyplace I have mounted the sensor so far picks up too much engine heat, increasing the temperature by as much as 10 degrees.

The instructions recommended mounting it inside the door opening, by the hinge. Tried that. I mounted it on the body under the door. I have mounted it on the inside and outside of the running boards. All the locations I tried are out of the sunlight, although most of my driving is at night, so sunlight usually isn't a big issue.

I have the display mounted on the dash, over the heater controls. The sensor is on a 10' wire, so I have 10' from the center of the dash to route the wire out of the cab and mount the sensor. Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill

Old 04-19-2007, 11:38 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Welcome to FTE, grelch!

You didn't mention what the problem(s) was(were) with the locations you've tried so far.

Also, I'd like to get some more information on the unit you bought. Is there a web site where I can see what it looks like and waht the specs are? Or do you have some digital pics you can post?

Old 04-19-2007, 08:27 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I usually place them on the inner fender well or inside and on top of the outer well, just below the LH head light. If you want accuracy, you might have to go behind the rear window, just above the bed. You will have low air flow, but it would mostly all be fresh.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:15 AM
grelch
Junior User
Originally Posted by F250_
Welcome to FTE, grelch!

You didn't mention what the problem(s) was(were) with the locations you've tried so far.

Also, I'd like to get some more information on the unit you bought. Is there a web site where I can see what it looks like and waht the specs are? Or do you have some digital pics you can post?
Hi F250_,

Here is a link to the product: http://www.bellautomotive.com/asp/pr...s.asp?id=24570

The problem I'm having is where ever I mount the sensor, I am picking up too much engine heat, which increases the temperature reading by as much as 10 degrees.

ReAX, I like the back window idea. But I have an extended cab, so the cable wouldn't reach behind the window. Do you think it would alter the reading if I lengthened the cable ?

Thanks,
Bill

Old 04-20-2007, 12:58 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
As long as the wiring is carrying voltage and not a signal, you shouldn't be able to hide enough wire to make a difference.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:33 PM
grelch
Junior User
Thanks ReAX,

I'll give that a try. I only need to lengthen it by 4 or 5 feet. I also emailed the company to ask them about lengthening the wire.

Bill

Old 04-23-2007, 12:02 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
All of the factory sensors are behind the grill in front of the a/c condenser. As long as the vehicle is moving, you will get an accurate reading.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:38 PM
grelch
Junior User
Thank you LxMan1. I'll try it there before I try lengthening the wire.

Bill