Sponsored by:

Swapping out Tailgate Window KEY Switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2001, 08:39 PM
351Inside
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody got an easy way to replace the key switch in the tail gate. Window in my '96 goes down with the key, but up switch seems to have failed. Had gate opened up, but not too much in there looks easy for this new secondhand Bronco owner. Any idea what a new switch is worth?

Thanx in advance

Brad

Old 09-18-2001, 07:38 PM
restorit
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can speak for an '85, and I believe they're the same or very close. They're pretty high $$$...... as I remember, I believe I was quoted around $140.00 from Ford three years ago. If yours is the same as mine, it's fairly basic, but hard to get to. Essentially, you'll need to remove your access panel from the inside of the gate. Since the window will need to be up, you may want to grab all the tools you'll need and crawl over the back seat, unless you're comfortable with bypassing the safety switch on the driver's side t/gate latch and raising the glass with the gate down, while being sure to support it as it's coming out and fully extended (I'd recommend leaving the gate up and the glass raised.)The lock cylinder, itself, is held against the sheetmetal by a U-shaped clip from the inside (the same used for your door locks). As I recall, the switch mechanism fits into the cylinder in several pieces (washers and the sort), and the whole works is retained by a small hairpin-type clip. Bring your glasses and some small needle-nosed pliers or forceps, this is somewhat tedious.... There is a flat metal assembly that rotates with the turn of the key..... this is what actually makes contact with one of two small buttons on the actual switch itself. You may check it to be sure it's rotating fully to contact both of the small buttons, which are actually microswitches built into the electronic assembly. I'm assuming your dash switch still works in both directions..... I ask because there is also a white plastic limit switch in the gate, not far from the key switch, which can also affect the window (this should limit travel from either switch, though). I wouldn't recommend, incidently, removing the key cylinder (remove the switch parts only) from the sheet metal, if you can help it. Assuming you have the decorative aluminum plaque on the outside of the gate, you'd need to remove all of the retaining nuts from the inside and remove the entire plaque to remove the cylinder, as it must be taken away from the outside of the gate. Good luck!

Old 09-19-2001, 11:34 AM
brents
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

It also may not be the switch! I have seen the wiring break between the tailgate and the main harness due to the flexing/stress on that area of the cable harness when you open and close the tailgate.

Just something else to look at..
-Brents

Old 09-19-2001, 06:30 PM
restorit
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something I consider sort of strange on mine, also - when I bought my '85 the key switch didn't work, although the dash switch did. I checked and rechecked the key switch, took it apart, etc. with no apparent malfunction. Out of pure chance, I was changing a flasher in the fuse box and found a misplaced fuse..... a 25A that had mistakenly been placed in a position that was slightly off of the mark (it sounds crazy, but if you were to see it, you could see how it could happen). Anyhow, it turns out that the previous owner had apparently gone to replace the fuse, and had put it in the wrong spot, and had apparently resigned him or herself to the gate glass no longer working at the key switch. I put the fuse in the correct spot, and the key switch began working once again. I thought it strange that this switch, alone, would work off of a 25A fuse, while the dash switch was unaffected. Maybe Ford was worried about the prospect of moisture causing a problem at this point, but not from the dash?

Old 09-30-2001, 03:56 PM
tite4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 30-Sep-01 AT 05:34 PM (EST)[/font][p]Hey Brad
I Had the same problem with my '90 - down with key and up with switch on dash panel. Luckily I had a spare dash panal switch from an 89 that I put into the 90 and that fixed the problem. You might try that by replacing the switch on the dash.
Most likely a dealer item & probably around $10 - not sure.

Hope this helps & Good luck
Kimball

Old 11-12-2001, 04:45 PM
Superbigbob
New User

Has anyone found a good source for the tailgate switch? My sah switch works perfectly and after checking all the wiring I found the tailgate switch to be bad. Called around today and no one has it but the dealer. Would you believe they want $220.00 for it? I need it for a 86 full size Bronco.

Any help?

Thanks

Old 11-12-2001, 06:48 PM
4xfordman
Senior User

Old 06-20-2011, 07:51 PM
dennisw123
New User
tailgate switch

Originally Posted by Superbigbob
Has anyone found a good source for the tailgate switch? My sah switch works perfectly and after checking all the wiring I found the tailgate switch to be bad. Called around today and no one has it but the dealer. Would you believe they want $220.00 for it? I need it for a 86 full size Bronco.

Any help?

Thanks
go to www.lmctruck.com they carry everthing for your bronco including the tailgate switch around $55.00. good luck!