1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

a few progress updates in my gallery

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 04:37 PM
eviljake
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a few progress updates in my gallery

Not much, but I'm slowly chipping away at it.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:41 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Nice work. You've managed to make those old bedsides pretty danged smooth. I really like the older style stake pockets.

Looks great
Bobby

Old 04-17-2007, 04:44 PM
eviljake
Junior User
Thanks, I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do for the rear crossmember. It fit inside the old stake pocket and a bolt ran through it, I'm doing a little modifications to this one to try and make it run smooth along the bottom with that old style pocket. I'm hoping to get the little curved extensions for the front pockets to smooth that out.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:48 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Check out my gallery "bed stuff" I made my own rear sill using a combination of 2x4 rectangular tubing and 2" exhaust pipe. I cut about 1/2" off of the long side of the rectangular tubing and saddled it over the round tubing. I left the rectangular tubing long and it slipped inside of the stack pockets, the round tubing butted up to the bottom of the stake pockets and matched the raduis. I did add some doubler plates inside of it all so I could drill and tap them to help in mounting the tailgate hinges.

To cut the rectangular tubing I mounted a steel cut off wheel in my small table saw.

Bobby

Old 04-17-2007, 04:54 PM
eviljake
Junior User
That's pretty dang slick. I like the use of the new bed parts. I'm gonna play around with it some more tonight, I'll update my gallery when I get some where with it. I've got an old script style tailgat that I plan on modifying to work too, so maybe you're work will give me some inspiration on that end as well. Much appreciated.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:53 PM
bememe
Senior User
Did you refinish your guage panel? I took mine to bare metal then primed and painted. I'm trying to get the stars and possibly around the guage holes painted silver like yours. Tried taping off and spraying, 3M fine line blue masking tape left ugly edges and glue residue. Tried freehand with brush, needless to say I'm no artist. Didn't like that either. Any suggestions, wrong tape etc.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:16 PM
eviljake
Junior User
Hey bememe, I did refinish it, what I ended up doing was using scotchbrite to get the whole thing down to bare metal, then I masked the stars, guage rings, and the edges. I painted the flat portions, then cleared over the paint and bare metal.