Cooling (351)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 09:52 AM
Guido01
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooling (351)

Hi Guys!
I sent a previous message on this issue and recieved two responses. However, I am still looking for some real temperature comparisons if possible. This would need to be done with a mechanical or electrical add on gauge. The stock gauge doesn't give degree numbers.

1. What is the normal running temperature (when outside temperature is 80 degrees or higher? At idle, at approx. 55 mph and 65 mph up.

2. Does your truck climb and drop in temperature? For instance, mine may vary from 225 back to 210. However, I notice newer trucks with temperature gauges stay at approx. 210 (very little varfiance (if any). Doesn't matter if they are running hard or slow????

This is driving me crazy! Please send inputs . Thanks

Old 11-09-2001, 01:47 AM
Riso79
Senior User
Cooling (351)

i have a 93 w/ 351 and e40d trans. I live in Southern Cal. and the temperature varies much and so does my temp gauge. Generally when around town the needle stays at the "N" in normal. I have a new water pump and a 180 degree thermostat. The radiator is original,i believe,and is sqeaky clean inside. I have taken it out many times because i fill it up with mud. I have searched for a bigger radiator because when i tow or get on the freeway on a warm day the temperature gauge rises to abouut the "O-R" range. I have spoke with a few radiator shops and they don't recommend changing the radiator because the facory aluminum/plactic radiator does the best job. The rise in temp is normal. I have a buddy with a bronco also and his the does the exact same thing. I was told if I changed the radiator i could expect the same thing also. What size tires and gears are you running?

Old 11-10-2001, 06:39 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cooling (351)

I recently moved to Colorado and installed a 195 degree thermostat. The truck now runs around the "o" in normal. It used to barely even make it to the first line on the guage, but my old thermostat was stuck open. I had no heat, which wasn't a problem in Florida but was here. When there is no heat the truck is probably running around 160 or even less. So I would say that your truck is running properly. A lot of Ford factory temperature guages seem to run "hot." If your truck is not overheating then there isn't a problem.

Old 11-10-2001, 06:43 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Cooling (351)

PS - yes my truck rises and drops in temperature also. It will go from between the "n" and the "o" to between the "o" and the "r" for seemingly no reason. I think that the Ford guages are very touchy and that there is probably not much of a range on them, so a couple of degrees makes it move. I would be interested to know the temperature range of the factory guage.

Old 11-11-2001, 03:04 PM
Guido01
New User
Cooling (351)

>PS - yes my truck rises and drops in temperature also. It
>will go from between the "n" and the "o" to between the "o"
>and the "r" for seemingly no reason. I think that the Ford
>guages are very touchy and that there is probably not much
>of a range on them, so a couple of degrees makes it move. I
>would be interested to know the temperature range of the
>factory guage.

Excellent question! Does anyone know temperature range on factory gauge?
Note: I am still "very interested " in finding out what actual temperatures other Bronco's run at (351 engine) in normal driving, pulling trailer, climbing long grades, etc. With a 195 thermostat!
Thanks again

Old 11-12-2001, 11:04 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Cooling (351)

From my observation of the gauge after installing the 195 degree thermostat, the "o" in normal is at about 195 degrees. What do other people's gauges seem to read?

Old 11-16-2001, 08:50 AM
Guido01
New User
Cooling (351)

Your thermostat opens at 195, but you will actually be running about 210 by the time it cools down(I believe).

Old 11-16-2001, 10:27 AM
adelyser
Elder User
Cooling (351)