Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
More UMO (i know i know!)

UMO is probably a dead horse subject.

Anyways.

My bio diesel subject matter is growing knowlege wise, and i can't help but think that UMO will mix with the fryer oil..

I'm guessing the only issue there would be that the UMO will settle, and seperate from the fryer oil.

On another note. Why can you not process the UMO like the WVO? Will it simply not process the same, or do we have some extra steps that must be done to get it to clear up any?

I have access to about 300 gal of UMO, this is why i bring this question up. Friend has an old fuel tank he puts it in, its a 500 gal holding tank. Its a little over half full. Thats a lot to work with, and I'm sure he is never going to do anything with it. Pluss, if i get him geeked up enough about it, he will help me build a processing plant.
One son is a metal fabricator, the other a machinest, and i work for the other son who is a master carpenter etc.
Its like, crazy we can build anything family. My boss wants to get into this bio diesel thing and do WVO, but hes tryign to obain his dads truck to do it first. The truck is setup perfect to do WVO, with 2 aux tanks already.

I got off subject sorry. =)

Old 04-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor oil does not contain ester bonds like VO does.
The process of creating BD is called transesterification because it works on ester bonds.
WMO wil stay WMO if run thru the BD process

Old 04-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Murphy2000
Senior User
It will also separate from anything vegetable based.

You'd have to mix it constantly..

Putting motor oil into your fuel system is a (dare I say it) Foolish thing to do..

Great idea, but don't do it.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:21 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I once filtered two gallons of wmo that just drained from my pan down to 1 micron and dumped it in the tank. I don't think it had any adverse effect in that small quantity, but it was fun smokin' people out!!

Old 04-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
I know you can mix it in with pump diesel, but thats about all I know.

I was just curious if I could put it to use in a bio fuel sort of way, to recycle.

If i get a diesel, I'm not giong to be adding UWO to my tank.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:35 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
I've read about the miltary using some kinda filtering system to run umo in their equipment during WWII, because of fuel shortages and such. Believe me I'd love to to save some money, but in the long run it isn't worth it- you can get out the metal particles, but the acids will still be present and will erode your injectors over time.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:05 AM
tx4wd
New User
Old 04-18-2007, 11:38 AM
firemediceric
Senior User
Originally Posted by mongo75
the acids will still be present and will erode your injectors over time.
Would a mist wash take care of the acids, similiar to dealing with WVO?

Old 04-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Water and motor oil dont mix well.
I think you will end up creating a hastle then anything.

if its cold it might work, but you kown what happens when water gets into the engine oil. it dosn't work out to great. I immagine the same effect.
Water and oil eventually seperate though.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:38 PM
firemediceric
Senior User
Originally Posted by Talyn
Water and motor oil dont mix well.
I think you will end up creating a hastle then anything.

if its cold it might work, but you kown what happens when water gets into the engine oil. it dosn't work out to great. I immagine the same effect.
Water and oil eventually seperate though.
It also does not mix wth WVO, but it takes care of Ph as it falls through the WVO, finally settling out. I'm not sure if it will work the same with UMO and I worry that a hot pan test may not be a good test for water as the other items in the UMO may cause false positives.

I may do some experimenting in a glass jar. Anyone feel like doing some experiments with a TDS meter?

Old 04-21-2007, 09:41 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
I'm kinda surprised to see that fuel/wvo mixer thingee in use today. I'm not totally against it, but when I pulled my fuel filter today, it was BLACK. I don't know if it was from the two gallons I dumped in a couple of thousand miles ago, or a dirty tank (I put a new steel tank in about 10,000 miles ago, so I'm wondering if someone put crap in my tank) but to sum it up, from what I've read from reputable sources, I probably won't be using wmo anymore.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Danny, did you get a renu tank? ONe that they seal up and such?

The one i put in my 91 made my fuel black for about a month, though didn't hurt anything.

The diesel fuel would have cleaned up the oil in the filter if you ran oil through, unless it was that crude of oil that you ran.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:36 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
William, I'm not sure if I understand your question about it sealing or something? I'll try to answer it though- I punctured my stock tank about 4 months ago or so, and being that Ford wanted $960 for a stock plastic 39 gal tank, I told them to pack sand and I bought a 55 gal tank from Aeromotive, right here in SoCal. The one problem (aside from it being a real PITA to mount) was that the "rollover vent" would leak whenever I tried to fill it to the filler neck top. Fortunately I had enough room between the tank and bed to take it out and glop some gasket seal (orange stuff) on the oring and mating surfaces, and now it'll hold fuel all the way to the fill neck threads.
I too thought that the filter being black must be coming from something else, as diesel should have cleaned it from the filter. I'll leave the UMO out this time and see what it looks like in 13,000 miles or so. I did clean the bowl and there was a good bunch of crap in it. I'll be installing a pre-pump filter here soon.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
What i was asking if the tank was sealed, or was it bare steel?

They redo tanks here in michigan, the place we have is called gas tank renu.
They basically refinish old tanks then seal them with an underbody/bedliner like material.

They also spray it inside too, my fuel was black for a bit when i installed it.

I can see that depositing in your filter.
However, the UMO should not stay in your filter unless it was really sludgy. Diesel fuel will clean up oil and grease. Thats all engine cleaner is, diesel fuel in a can.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:47 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mongo75
I'm kinda surprised to see that fuel/wvo mixer thingee in use today. I'm not totally against it, but when I pulled my fuel filter today, it was BLACK. I don't know if it was from the two gallons I dumped in a couple of thousand miles ago, or a dirty tank (I put a new steel tank in about 10,000 miles ago, so I'm wondering if someone put crap in my tank) but to sum it up, from what I've read from reputable sources, I probably won't be using wmo anymore.
Are you using any oil between changes? If you have an injector seal compromised it will push oil into the fuel system at the injector. Not really a major issue for a while, but it'll turn the filter black every time.

Quick Reply: More UMO (i know i know!)