Centrifugal oil cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 07:07 PM
kalsc
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Centrifugal oil cleaner

Hey all,

Was curious if anyone has any experience or feedback with respect to a centrifugal style oil cleaner? I was checking out the product and it definately seems interesting.

I have to admit, I am not impressed with my FS2500.

Cheers!
Sean

Old 04-16-2007, 10:33 PM
kalsc
Tuned
Hoping to inspire some feedback so here is one link I found with respect to what I am talking about:

http://www.dieselproducts.com/spinner/sp_sizing.html

Cheers!
Sean

Old 07-22-2008, 10:11 PM
vesely
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats wrong w/ the fs2500? i was looking @ that option to clean my oil

Old 07-22-2008, 10:16 PM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
I need and want a BIGGER one for my VO. but dont have one at this time. but its on the list for sure.

Simple Centrifuge ...putting a centrifuge in every garage!

is what I am looking at.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Fraalan
Senior User
I like the high strength magnets myself. cheap and easy

Old 07-23-2008, 08:54 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by kalsc
Hey all,

Was curious if anyone has any experience or feedback with respect to a centrifugal style oil cleaner? I was checking out the product and it definately seems interesting.

I have to admit, I am not impressed with my FS2500.

Cheers!
Sean
Mack truck engines have been using a centrifugal bypass filter for years. I have not seen any problems with the ones, I worked on. Seems to be a tried and true set-up. They seem to do a good job of added filtering.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:12 PM
sneak
Elder User
Anyone have anymore information on these, or what you would use on our trucks?

Old 01-14-2009, 05:43 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't Case/International make a similar filture to this?

Subscribing to learn more.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:42 PM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,920 Likes on 1,932 Posts
Dieselcraft makes a kit to install one in the engine bay:

http://www.dieselcraft.com/EngineOil.php

Old 01-15-2009, 04:06 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Sean (OP), what did you end up using? This has been almost two years ago you were looking into this and I'm curious as to what you found.

What I'd really like to see, if anyone has any, is some UOA's after running a centrifugal style filtration system on the truck. The one Leonard linked to seems to be a well built piece.

My only concerns with this would be removal of some critical additive packages. The website mentioned above states, "The centrifuge cleans oil by generating a centrifugal force 2,000 times greater than gravity. ... Contaminant particles as small as 1/10th of one micron are removed..." Since many of the extreme pressure additives in oil are actually metals (zinc, phosphorous, magnesium, etc...) I would be slightly concerned that the centrifuge has the potential to spin those additives out. Anyone have some insight on that at all, because I really don't know if it's a possibility or not.

Also concerned slightly about oil aeration. It's probably not any worse than what the HPOP and injectors put it through, but "Engine oil pressure spins the rotor at a rate over 6,000 rpm’s," makes me think about it.

I see it says up to 10 oz of contamination can be held. Is there any indication of when the filter is getting full or is it just based on an interval kind of thing. If it's an interval, what are we looking at here?

Old 06-10-2009, 12:21 AM
kalsc
Tuned
Hey, got the bug again to start looking into this now that Diesel Craft has thier inline unit, looks interesting for sure. I picked up a centrifuge for cleaning my waste oil, haven't used it yet though, been side tracked with my tranny swap.

Ended up putting an FS2500 in since I started this post. It's OK, oil still gets black as all heck though, just like without the FS2500.

I sure like what I see of what centrifuges can do. Am seriously considering pulling the FS2500 and trying out the Dieselcraft Inline unit.

You raise a good point about just what all does the centrifuge pull out of the oil regarding the "good" particulates found in some additives. However, lets say some were pulled out, is this offest by the fact that the oil is MUCH cleaner overall with an extended service life? Not sure.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:56 PM
jirwin
Senior User
I am curious if you have done any oil analysis with the install of the fs2500. Sure would like to compare yours to springer pops. $500.00 kit compared to his sub $100.00 dollar model. To take it a little farther. Maybe we could dedicate a post for just oil analysis. We would get a broad range of what people are using and what its doing. Newbie, so forgive if that is to ambitious.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:27 PM
kalsc
Tuned
Hey, no worries, ask away.

Truth be known, I haven't had any formal analysis done on the oil other than noting that it still gets quite black just as fast. All in all, based on that alone I am not overly impressed as that suggests that the soot content is still polluting the oil just as fast or even slightly slower, not what I had expected.

To make a long story short, I am pulling the FS2500 OFF and putting on a centrifuge as I have personally seen exceptional results with those pulling the soot out of the oil.

I can't say that I would go the FS2500 route considering the cost effectiveness of a centrifuge unit as opposed to an FS2500 unit. FS2500: kinda works in my case, but not like I expected or have seen plus there is the expense of new filters all the time. CENTRIFUGE: Works VERY well and there is no additional cost of filters.

Just my $.02

Old 08-03-2010, 04:47 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I believe that soot contamination, in itself, is not contributing to engine parts wear. Of course, it DOES make the oil black, but soot is sub-micronic by itself.

It's when the soot conglomerates, that is, it starts to stick to other soot particles to form larger particles, that it becomes abrasive and contributes to wear.

I don't have much concern for the color of my oil, just what is suspended in it above a certain size. My Baldwin system (which sometimes uses Fleetguard elements) seems to be doing the job. For my last three lab reports, see the bottom of this page:
SpringerPop's Lube Bypass Filter

However, I too would be interested in seeing a lab report of someone using centrifugal filtration.

Pop