gas mileage on ford five hundred

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 11:47 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 135 Likes on 131 Posts
gas mileage on ford five hundred

We just bought a used 05 five hundred and I don't think the mileage is as good as it should be. It is the all wheel drive limited model and it has around 47000 miles. On the interstate it is only around 23 mpg, I have talked with another guy with an 06 awd and he says his gets 26-27 mpg.

Anybody with one, can you tell me what you are getting for mpg. We also live in Vermont so the rodes aren't flat all the time either. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:06 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got rid of a 2005 Five-Hundred, but it was FWD. The trip computer said it was averaging 24-25 around town, 27-29 on the highway. But when I checked the mileage manually, it was actually 21 in the city. So, for AWD, I'd say you're not doing too bad. I don't know why the computer was so far off, because the one in my '96 Town Car is dead-on accurate.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:55 AM
bob hare
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds about right. I've got an '05 500 Limited FWD. When I bought it new it was averaging 26 mpg on the highway. This past weekends road trip was averaging 24.8 mpg on the highway. Who know how accurate it is, since I've never manually calculated it....I just like the ride. If I wanted super gas mileage, I would have bought some Jap car.
Bob

Old 04-24-2007, 09:05 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

The car si still in the 22+ mpg range, would really like to see 25 on longer trips but the warmer weather is here so it should go up some. The cars computer actually figures the mpg lower then what it is by 1-2mpg so far. As long as it stays out of the shop for the next 3 years anyways, I will be happy with it. Be a nice change compared to the 01 Audi A4 quattro that we got rid of, that thing was in the mechanic's shop yard more then our own.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:54 PM
uriah
Senior User
I almost bought n one a few years ago, I was under the impression the mileage was a bit higher. Ended up buying a Mercedes instead (used). Being the 500 was a brand new model they wouldn't budge a nickel, even though they had a lot full of them for awhile. That's not what annoyed me, the 'doc' fees are. If you don't make enough money without adding various fees (but the documentation fee is a really annoying one for me) they don't need my business. They waved all that on the used Mercedes I got and I bet they still made good money.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:52 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

We are still in the 21-22 mpg range but would like it up in the 24's better. It is a much more comfortable car to ride in, especially compared to the Audi A4 it replaced. The worst thing to happen so far with it is with the 18" rims an low profile tires, my wife hit a pot hole and bent the rim and cut the tire. Had to replace all 4 tires and get the rim straightened so the car was down for almost 2 weeks.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Scott_XLT
Senior User
I've got a 2006 AWD Freestyle, basically a wagon version of the Five Hundred; probably weighs around 500 pounds more, I would guess. I get around 16-17 in the city. Highway driving is where this beast really shines -- around 26 - 27 mpg. However, here in New Jersey, the highways I drive are not that hilly, so that makes a difference. Overall, I am very satisfied.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:59 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Scott_XLT, does your freestyle have the cvt like the fivehundred? I was really hoping for that highway mileage from our car but I don't know if dirty fuel or air filter would knock it down that much. I could have the ford dealer hook thier computer to it to see if anything comes up but it would probably be a waste of time and money.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:54 AM
Scott_XLT
Senior User
Originally Posted by wildstang
Scott_XLT, does your freestyle have the cvt like the fivehundred? I was really hoping for that highway mileage from our car but I don't know if dirty fuel or air filter would knock it down that much. I could have the ford dealer hook thier computer to it to see if anything comes up but it would probably be a waste of time and money.
Yes, mine does have the CVT, which I think is the reason it can get such good highway numbers, as when on level ground it can cruise below 2k rpms at pretty high speeds (~70). I will often watch the mpg readout on the car and make it a game to maximize it when on highway trips. Unfortunately, most of my driving is around town, which means I am usually only getting 16 to 17 mpgs, and even less with wintertime gas blend. But for a 7 passenger car, no complaints here.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:26 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We are still in the 21-22 mpg range but would like it up in the 24's better. It is a much more comfortable car to ride in, especially compared to the Audi A4 it replaced. The worst thing to happen so far with it is with the 18" rims an low profile tires, my wife hit a pot hole and bent the rim and cut the tire. Had to replace all 4 tires and get the rim straightened so the car was down for almost 2 weeks.
Just food for thought - Wider tires can/will cause a loss in fuel mileage, as well as the tire constuction / air pressures.

Also, what is the tire diameter now in comparison to stock tires?

Has the car been raised or lowered from it's factory ride height? If so this can also add or subtract fuel mileage.

If you are a smoker and routinly drive with your windows down (or not a smoker, just drive with your windows open) your mileage wil be less at hiway speeds with open windows.

Cars tend to be affected by this a lot more than trucks as they begain life a while lot more aerodynamic to begain with.

Of course it also comes to mind what hiway speeds you are driving at - and what type of terrain. These alone can change your mileage eaisliy by 1-4 mpg in comparison to another car on different roads / speeds / traffic conditions.

David

Last edited by dmanlyr; 06-03-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:15 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

The new tires are the exact same as what came from the factory as is the ride hight. Sometimes we drive with the window down but not always, hasn't been all that warm yet. Living in Vermont there aren't a lot of long flat road trips but even when she went to Rhode Island, which a lot of that travel is flat, didn't really seem to do any better. I may try to find a new air filter for it, maybe a k&n or similar.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:43 PM
V X
Senior User
The new tires are the exact same as what came from the factory as is the ride hight. Sometimes we drive with the window down but not always, hasn't been all that warm yet. Living in Vermont there aren't a lot of long flat road trips but even when she went to Rhode Island, which a lot of that travel is flat, didn't really seem to do any better. I may try to find a new air filter for it, maybe a k&n or similar.
.........Rhodie is downhill from VT so that should have helped

V X

Old 06-07-2007, 07:24 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well so much for those ideas, a couple of more, were these cars available with more than one final drive ratio? How about how the cars were loaded? IE full or empty trunks, etc? I agree that you should expect to see more than 21 mpg.

Hmmmm....

David