1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

2 speed rear instructions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:37 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
2 speed rear instructions

There was a question about a week ago, from I forget who, that asked how to shift a 2-speed rear truck. I and some others tried to give some instructions. I just remembered I had this picture on file in my computer that I got off the internet and saved cause it reminded me of the instructions onthe 2 speed rear on the trucks I used to drive when I worked for the lumber yard.

I tried to attach it but if it doesn't appear here go to my gallery and look at it. Shifting is really quite easy if you use your ears and common sense.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:57 PM
56f600
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learned many years ago driving a '59 Ford 3-5 yd dump in the grain fields. It was a real beauty. That was a little trickier than most to drive. The shifter cable had no **** on the shifter, the cable just layed where you left it. Give the whole cable a yank to shift in to hi. Shifting into low was a real magic act. Grab the cable down low by the floor and try to push it rearward. Kinda like pushing a rope. If I held my tongue just right, didn't exhale, and the planets were in alignment it would shift down. I would come into the field and downshift the tranny and listen to the truck pop under deceleration. At dusk my cousin who was running the combine told me not to do that. I was throwing 3 to 4 foot fires out both exhaust under the truck!!! Not good in a grain field.

Following the directions you posted above allows much better shifting than "pushing the rope". It pretty easy and natural after a while.