1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

clutch issues

Old 04-15-2007, 06:46 PM
mshoemaker
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch issues

Hey all, got to work on my F6 a little today, changed plugs, new wires, distributor cap, rotor, points and condensor, rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel line. Jumped in and hit the starter button and it fired right up. Now my question is this. I have no clutch. Does anyone have a diagram I can look at to help me diagnose this? I crawled under the truck while someone else pushed the clutch, and the pedal moves the adjusting arm which rotates the shaft in the transmission a very tiny bit. Anyway, I am totally lost and before I do much else I need to get the breaks working and figure out the clutch issue so that I can at least move the truck around my in laws property to keep it out of the way.

Anyway, thanks for any help or suggestions.

Matthew

Old 04-15-2007, 08:58 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
What type of engine do you have. I have a clutch pressure plate from a 8rt engine. There yours if you need them. they look in good shape. let me know. The brake lines should be taken loose on both ends by the line block and wheels. Use the an airline to make sure they are open. My last one was clogged solid. I just replaced all the main lines, but did not replace the one that runs acrossed the rear end. It was clogged. I made a new one and now the brakes are great.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:25 AM
mshoemaker
Freshman User
Well I know its a 239 flat head. And I will plan on checking all the brake lines next weekend.

Matthew

Old 04-16-2007, 08:53 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
Not sure by your description how much movement you have on the shaft. It normally only travels maybe 1/8th of a turn. Pull the transmission cover and remove the bellhousing access cover (two bolts) and with a light you can see if the clutch shaft fingers are moving the throw-out bearing into the pressure plate.

Or, the clutch pedal has an adjustment rod down under along the frame rail. Disconnect the clevis and back it off (ccw) to increase travel. This is a necessary adjustment as time goes by and the clutch disk wears.

Last edited by mtflat; 04-16-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:37 AM
mshoemaker
Freshman User
Ok, sorry, should have been more clear. The shaft indeed only turns MAYBE an 1/8th of a turn. I am unsure where the bellhousing access cover is? I need to remove the plate on the floor and then remove this access cover? thats what I was thinking, but in the short time I had I couldn't figure out how to get the accellerator pedal disconnected so I could remove the panel.

thanks
Matthew

Old 04-16-2007, 04:34 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
Sorry, my accel pedal isn't connected to the linkage. I've never seen what the stock hookup looks like, so someone else will have to jump in here on how to disconnect it.

The bell access plate is a small cover that bolts to the half-bellhousing and it's located below the tranny cover that your accel pedal is bolted to.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:45 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pop the top of the gas pedal off the linkage (press fit), lay the pedal back. There should be two sheet metal screws on the hindge holding the pedal in place.

Search this Thread