Sponsored by: Moser

cracked frame

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:55 AM
pedrorairez
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cracked frame

hello everybody I was working on my the truck over the weekend and notice a very small crack under the framed on the driver side looks like its under the steering gear dont really know what it is called I will have to take pictures of it tomorrow but is there a fix for such things like that maybe a weld or a steel bracket the crack must be less than a 1/2inch maybe a 1/4inch anyone that could give me some info would be great.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:24 AM
Alvin in AZ
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh heck. :) That's nothing if the frame ain't rusted to beat hell.

Rusted stuff doesn't respond good to being welded. Hydrogen cracks.

I had several cracks running all directions from mounting duel shocks in '76 and driving down dirt roads like I had some place to go. ;)

Anyway got a guy to add a fish plate and I remounted my shock holder and 10 years later more cracks running every direction showed up. Just last year I gas welded them starting at the tip of the crack. So far, not a single crack has shown up.

VW dune buggies made from the VW frame (that tunnel thing running down the middle) was sure fire going to crack bad right away, if it was arc welded. Gas welded seemed to last forever... uh uh well... lasted long enough. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Old 04-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
JSYK, Topics like this go in the Bodywork or Workshop forum.

It is basically welding on a frame.