Sponsored by: DP Tuner

DP Tunner installed, WOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:34 PM
erik_bishop
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DP Tunner installed, WOW!!!

So I got my DP Tuner, stock, high Idle, 40HP tow, 60HP tow, 80HP econ, 120HP race.
Did a test run down the highway with 80 HP econ and what a difference from stock. I switched it 120HP race on the on ramp to get back onto the highway and all I can say is my truck just scared me, RPM's went up, MPH went up FAST! And boost was climbing fast; I let off of the throttle at what looked to be 25psi of boost and about 80MPH, what a ride! its back at 80HP econ right now, where it needs to stay. "Lead foot bad"

A question I have is how much boost is safe to go to? what could/would happen at higher boost levels?

before the Tuner I could only ever get to about 19 PSI, with the DP tuner it doesn’t seem like it will stop building boost pressure, does any one have a similar set up of mods as me and if so what is the max boost the engine will make with the mods I have ?

Old 04-12-2007, 11:46 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you like it!

Do you have a boost regulator for the map sensor to keep it from seeing all that boost?

The most boost you could get up to with stock injectors and a chip is around 28-32 psi or so. The only problem that poses is being tougher on the turbo than sticking to 25 psi or less, if the turbo is stock. Gets a bit out of its efficiency range.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:12 AM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dang, another satisfied customer to rub it in cause I dont have one.
Congrats on the new Truck ( I mean new feeling truck)

Old 04-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's it, you're an official member of the Dark Side. Glad you're enjoying your new toy.

Now, on to the next mods!

Old 04-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Highmark18
Senior User
I have similar tunes (including 140 smoke), and cannot wipe the smile off my face. I was told to try to keep it under 25 psi (hard to do sometimes).
Ryan, do you know if it is just inefficient above 25 psi, or is it actually shortening the life of the turbo??

Old 04-13-2007, 01:34 PM
erik_bishop
Senior User
I have a wicked wheel, but have not installed it yet, will that take care of the inefficiencies issues of too much boost for the stock turbo?
I have had to wait till warmer weather to install it, my truck wont fit in a garage. its tooooo long.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:35 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Highmark18
I have similar tunes (including 140 smoke), and cannot wipe the smile off my face. I was told to try to keep it under 25 psi (hard to do sometimes).
Ryan, do you know if it is just inefficient above 25 psi, or is it actually shortening the life of the turbo??
It's somewhat both. When the turbo is outside its efficiency range (past the "choke line" I believe it's called), it gets hotter than normal, and that heat helps shorten the turbo's lifespan. There are also concerns from some folks of overspooling it being tough on the bearings. And another issue is drive pressure getting pretty high with the stock setup at those higher boost levels. However, other folks have noted a bit more power while testing on a dyno when running up to 30+ psi, as opposed to 25 psi... but it might be tough on the turbo.

Originally Posted by erik_bishop
I have a wicked wheel, but have not installed it yet, will that take care of the inefficiencies issues of too much boost for the stock turbo?
Not sure... the wicked wheel shifts the surge line to the left, making surge much less likely. Not sure if it shifts the choke line at all, as the ATS housing supposedly does.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:01 PM
erik_bishop
Senior User
so i need to get a boost regulator, and hold it down at 25psi to be on the safe side ?

Old 04-13-2007, 04:31 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
The boost regulator is for the purpose of fooling the map sensor. When the map sensor sees about 22-23 psi or more, it'll set the SES light and defuel to help prevent overboost. I'm surprised yours isn't already if you're running in the upper 20s. Maybe you already have a relief valve or regulator of some sort from a previous owner? I'd have thought that Jody would've recommended one to you when you ordered the chip, if you didn't have one already.

Anyway, best setup is the regulator from Dennis at ITP Diesel (he's a site sponsor, too )
http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?c...on=show_detail

Old 04-13-2007, 04:43 PM
HawaiianPSD
Mountain Pass
Welcome to the DP Club!

Old 04-13-2007, 07:51 PM
travis dasher
Senior User
Originally Posted by HawaiianPSD
Welcome to the DP Club!

I wanna join the DP Club

Old 04-13-2007, 09:13 PM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
All it takes is:
coupla hundred bucks
ability to flex facial muscles

then you get the secret handshake!

Old 04-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
and decoder ring.

As well as joining the rest of us "on the darkside"

Old 04-13-2007, 11:38 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on joining the "darkside" of the tuner world. Ryan has hit the nail on the head with keeping the boost under 25 psi with a stock turbo, and the reasons why. The WW may change the suge line, and possibly the choke line, but you're still dealing with the higher backpressure on the exhaust side. Only cure for that is either a different exhaust housing or a different turbo.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Riata_Ag
Senior User
Where do you recommend shopping for a DP tuner for the best price?

thanks

Quick Reply: DP Tunner installed, WOW!!!