6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 in Mexico

Old 04-12-2007, 12:46 PM
cclgeo
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6.4 in Mexico

I also posted this in the general discussion. Will you be able to drive the new 6.4 diesel in Mexico. Will you be able to run the diesel they sell in Mexico and not hurt the engine. I bring up this question because the new diesel in ultra low sulfur and I don't think they sell that in Mexico. Any thoughts?

Last edited by cclgeo; 04-12-2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:46 PM
mattebury
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll need to get an aux tank to drive into Mexico, they do not have ULSD. There are other threads on this.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...fuel-tank.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...pm-diesel.html

Old 04-12-2007, 09:40 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
won't hurt the motor from what i've heard but the DPF instead, is this right?

Old 04-12-2007, 09:48 PM
mattebury
Senior User
Motor will be fine, but non ULSD will clog the DPF and that's a couple of bucks to replace.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:16 PM
cclgeo
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the DPF and its function and how much is it to replace. An aux tank won't help if you are going deep into Baja.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:04 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cclgeo
What is the DPF and its function and how much is it to replace. An aux tank won't help if you are going deep into Baja.
The DPF stands for Diesel Particulate Filter. There are 2 parts, a catalyst and a filter. The filter traps the soot created by normal combustion. The catalyst is used to create enough heat, by injecting fuel into it, to vaporize the soot accumulated in the filter. If too much LSD is used, it will poison the catalyst. A poisoned catalyst cannot make enough heat, no matter how much fuel is injected into it, to burn the soot in the filter. This will eventually lead to a filter plugged with soot. A plugged filter is a lot like stuffing a potatoe in you exhaust pipe.

I mentioned in your other post that LSD can be used in infrequent situations. Just don't get in the habit of using it a lot. The catalyst can repair itself as long as ULSD is used AFTER a tank of LSD.

The cost of replacement won't be covered under the emissions warranty if it is found that too much LSD has been used. That's considered neglect. It will cost several hundred dollars just for the catalyst since it is made of platinum.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:35 AM
mattebury
Senior User
Originally Posted by rob_nc
The cost of replacement won't be covered under the emissions warranty if it is found that too much LSD has been used. That's considered neglect. It will cost several hundred dollars just for the catalyst since it is made of platinum.
Try over a thousand. Platinum (and other rare earth metals used in the catalyst) are at recrod levels $1,280 per troy ounce for platinum!

Search this Thread