6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Test Drive: 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:19 AM
firehawk198
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mstan and Diesel Dan, Some people do not understand why a 450 has 4.88 gears. It is not for drag racing. It is for hauling 22-24,000#. Ever pull up to a $120,000 tractor-trailer hauling a 40,000# load at a traffic light. It still takes it forever to get to 60mph. But get next to it on turnpike hill and it does it job at 70mph. One of the 450 owners with 4.88’s Strut that has been online was disappointed with hauling his 13-15,000#? Cedar Creek in comparison to his older 250 7.3. With probably 3.73 gears. As I explained to him it was probably not in the right torque range on that particular hill. But give him a 22,000# f/w and it would be a different story. Also the 450 was about 2500# heavier than his 250. Sometimes 4.88’s are an overkill on a lighter load and will react different than a 250 6.4 with 3.73’s. Put them side by side at a traffic light with no load and the 250 3.73’s would probably pull away because it would be in the torque range for a longer period of time leaving the 450 over revving and shifting more. Second hand talk is sometimes cheap and exaggerated. Wasn’t planning to haul our fifth wheel for a couple of weeks, but I think I will have to hook up to it and find a Dodge to compare it with. We are going to have to get truck trend to do some real comparisons with the proper towing capacities. 250’s and 350’s against their 2500 and 3500’s with the same gears. Do not know how they will do with 24,000# against the 450?

Old 04-26-2007, 11:14 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by mstan
Mr. Diesel Dan, I understand that this being the internet that you do not know me. I can respect that. But the fact still remains I have 4 friends wihich currently own them. Call "Extreme Offroad" in Lake Charles, La. and speak with the owner. Ask him what he thinks of his F-450 FX4. This man pulls a car hauler to all the 4x4 shows in the area. He builds custom trucks. Call Kyle investments in Westlake, La. He hauls a race car trailer. If these 2 references do not convience you then what can I say. I have been a true blue Ford guy for some time now. My first truck was a ford. My cars are ford. This is not been easy for me. Oh by the way I also have several friends who own 6.0 SD as well. I guess I am just lucky huh? LOL
Allright, so you do have 2 friends that have 450s and don't like 'em. So I guess that means you probably know all 4 people that don't...

So I'm sorry for saying what I did -- seems we've had a rash of trolls in the 6.4 area, picking on the one thing that's hit the press (flame thrower), so I figured you were part of the crew.

I'd have to agree with Firehawk tho., and suggest the folks that don't like 'em bought more truck than they need -- I'm having trouble even saying that, as I always thought you could never have too much truck....

I know the couple camper dealers I've spoken to are pretty darn excited the 450s are here -- since just about every camper out there takes a normal truck over legal weight...

Anyway, sorry again.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:17 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thank you gentlemen....

Old 04-26-2007, 12:04 PM
firehawk198
Elder User
diesel dan, I was one of those towing 3200# over my 99 350's towing capacity. planning on upgrading to 16,500# f/w next year. so I wanted to be sure I had enough truck this time.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:58 PM
mstan
Freshman User
Diesel Dan, Thanks for you gracious reply. I met up with one of my friends this morning and he did tell me that once his truck hit 8Kmiles and a reflash that his seemed to perform much bettter. Persoanlly, it is more truck than I need. I was impressed with the ride of the 450 and the quiteness of it. I love the inside. I have had some real issues with ford with my current 05 F-250 SD transmission in tow haul position. So I have to admit there is some sour grapes still in my mouth.

Mark

Old 04-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Tsubakihara
Laughing Gas
Received 205 Likes on 123 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by diesel_dan
(and Tsubakihara)

I'll just quote dagooaz's one post here. I've spent a lot of time on a couple of Brand C forums and a little time on Brand D, and a lot of time on FTE. I've found FTE in general, regardless of which sub-forum you go on, to be a very balanced and well moderated place. The Brand C and D forums were far less open to those with other makes coming in and talking smack. Stick around and you'll see what I mean.

Your post above is balanced and I for one have paid my hard earned money to find out how at least one of the other brands are (and that's Chevy). I've owned a number of Chevy trucks and a number of Fords and one Dodge. The Chevies all had problems related to underdesign, and even staying well within their capacities had failures of components that were just too light duty. My last Chevy I will ever own was an '05 Duramax 3500 srw 4x4. There are so many places that truck is weaker than my Ford of identical configuration that it's not worth re-listing them here for the umpteenth time. The straw that broke the camel's back for me on that truck was the complete lack of design review of the cooling system when they created the LLY Dmax. They are ALL designed (by lack of design that is) to overheat, every one of them. Go to any Chevy/GM forum and look up "LLY overheat" and read the 10s of thousands of posts/frustrations with that '04 thru '05 piece of you know what.

My one Dodge truck was all I needed to experience, as the thing fell apart around me, even during warranty. But I'd still consider one before I'd ever go back to a Chevy.

I read a lot on the 6.0 before I bought one, have a buch of friends with good ones. I mainly bought the Ford because of it's far superior capacity to either of the other two makes. My 11,400# gvwr in an SRW was equal to that of the other two's DRW models (when I bought last year). Period. Fact.

All of the diesels of the big 3 have more power than I or most folks need, so this "I win because I have 20 more HP", etc. is a worthless discussion point as far as I'm concerned.

I think the 6.4 will be a winner. You can go down and pop the hood on each of the competitor trucks and you can see the superior amount of cooling capacity the Ford has over the other two, and that's just for starters. They still are the most configurable line of trucks and have the highest capacities, by far, than Dodge or Chevy. Period. Fact.

If I hadn't bought the 6.0 last year and my choice was only of the new '07 emission compliant diesels of the big 3, I'd still take the Ford. Am I brand loyal?? well, I guess I'm just as much Brand burned, but still, the Ford is just a tougher platform. So until Chevy fires it's truck engineers and re-does the GMT-900 platform to put some capacity in it, and Dodge ups it's capacity and proves out it's new 6 speed auto and ads an integrated brake controller, then my only choice is to be brand loyal to Ford.

Hope you did as much homework when you bought yours... As long as it suits your needs and you are happy, that's all that matters, right?
Diesel-Dan
I think you have some valid points here. I did extensive research prior to making my purchase and based on that, obviously, made my decision. One thing you stated that I haven't found to be true, either through research or actual ownership, is the quality of the Dodge truck. J-D Power, and my own experience, indicated that Dodge has the highest first time quality of the three HD trucks. Mine was not perfect though, as it required a slight charge of the A/C system, as it was undercharged from the factory. Other than that, it's been perfect for 53,000 miles. I'm not sure what trouble you had with your Dodge, or if it was of the same generation as my truck. Huge difference between the 2nd and 3rd generation trucks. As far as the bias goes, I don't think FTE is quite as sweet as you make it out to be. This thread is now at 6 pages and you can count the "open minded" post on one hand. I think it's fair to assume that's what you'll get on any brand specific forum because that forum represents the vehicle that we spent our hard earned money on. I honestly think that for each of the 3 HD's on the road there are things that we all like and dislike about each of them, and quite possibly the woes of each brand are not even close to being as bad as the opposing forum would lead us to believe. Our desert group consist's of all three brands and we have a great time giving each other he]] about the other guys truck. But the real story is that we all go down the road together, climb the sames hills, fight the same wind, and drive through the same sand towing heavy trailers and none of us have any real trouble with our trucks. Oh yeah, except the Ford guy.

Last edited by Tsubakihara; 04-26-2007 at 05:36 PM.