6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Test Drive: 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 08:30 AM
DD1684
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a '94 Dodge 1500, and it was a great truck. Minor issues with it. My 7.3 has been a great truck as well (except for the cheap steel...leaf springs/diff. cover). I think they all have quirks of some sort, but it's all a matter of preference. I see a lot of people knocking Dodge's build quality. Must be varying perceptions here. Dodge is up to par with the rest if you ask me though. The pin stripes on my Ford aren't even put on straight from the factory. That's quality? No truck is perfect!!

Old 04-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Enomra
Elder User
DD1684: Your pinstripes were most likely applied at the dealer not at Ford factory. At least that is the way you would receive it in Oregon. One dealership adds pinstripes and lift kits etc. to help sell trucks the other dealership sells them straight from the factory. I have had 7 new Ford trucks and none of them have had factory pinstripes.

Some one will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not totally against Dodge there is actually a few things that I do like about them. One is the new cab lights that slowly dim when the door is shut. I love that! I like the fact that they have the solid axle like the Ford's do. I like the fact that you can put 35" tall tires on a stock truck much like the Ford.

See I can share the love!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Enomra; 04-24-2007 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:22 AM
66stang351
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Enomra
I'm not totally against Dodge there is actually a few things that I do like about them. One is the new cab lights that slowly dim when the door is shut. I love that!
You'll like the new '08s then because my F-350 does that.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Enomra
Elder User
You'll like the new '08s then because my F-350 does that.

Awesome!!!! I love that feature on my buds Dodge....

Old 04-24-2007, 04:55 PM
DD1684
Elder User
Originally Posted by Enomra
DD1684: Your pinstripes were most likely applied at the dealer not at Ford factory.
I apologize. I guess I should've clarified. They're the factory stripes that go with the two-tone paint job (factory). I remember seeing an '06 white and silver crew cab at my local dealer last year with the same scenario. The stripes on the bed were 3/4" higher than those on the cab. You'd think a $50K truck would have all the striping aligned properly!!

Old 04-25-2007, 06:07 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DD1684
No they don't. The Power Stroke has a recommended overhaul interval of 250K miles, while the Cummins has a recommended overhaul interval of 350K miles.
The MaxForce 7 has 262,500/375,000 miles of service to rebuild rating. As per International's web site.

Cummins lists life-to-major-overhaul intervals of 350,000 miles

There's alot of new technology on the 6.7.
We'll just have to see how the in head NOX burnin, EGR, DPF equiped 6.7 does in the long run. I sure hope it can keep the systems from clogging up the heads/egr.

Last edited by fonefiddy; 04-25-2007 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:54 AM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
I apologize. I guess I should've clarified. They're the factory stripes that go with the two-tone paint job (factory). I remember seeing an '06 white and silver crew cab at my local dealer last year with the same scenario. The stripes on the bed were 3/4" higher than those on the cab. You'd think a $50K truck would have all the striping aligned properly!!
Ok correct me if I am wrong but that Pinstripe was there when you bought the truck right? and it has not moved since you got the truck so when you went to buy the truck did you look at the pinstripes? And were they "not straight"? then why did you buy the truck if later on down the road you were gonna complain about spending the money on a truck that does not have straight pinstripes. I have seen many of these trucks that have the twotone and pinstripes and some are dead-on straight and even and some are all jacked up and uneven, When you are buying a vehicle off of the lot you are buying it in "as is" condition.......if uneven pinstripes were going to bother you than you should have went looking around for other SuperDuty's until you found one that had better pinestriping or one with out the pinstriping. You bought the truck knowing the pinstriping was not straight but you still forked over the money so accept it, there are other things in life that are more important than pinstripes......geez stop whining about them .

Old 04-25-2007, 11:11 AM
DD1684
Elder User
Originally Posted by jvoigt
Ok correct me if I am wrong but that Pinstripe was there when you bought the truck right? and it has not moved since you got the truck so when you went to buy the truck did you look at the pinstripes? And were they "not straight"? then why did you buy the truck if later on down the road you were gonna complain about spending the money on a truck that does not have straight pinstripes. I have seen many of these trucks that have the twotone and pinstripes and some are dead-on straight and even and some are all jacked up and uneven, When you are buying a vehicle off of the lot you are buying it in "as is" condition.......if uneven pinstripes were going to bother you than you should have went looking around for other SuperDuty's until you found one that had better pinestriping or one with out the pinstriping. You bought the truck knowing the pinstriping was not straight but you still forked over the money so accept it, there are other things in life that are more important than pinstripes......geez stop whining about them .
Dude, if you don't like what I have to say, don't read my posts. Secondly, I was not bashing Ford for the sloppy pinstriping. Just stating a fact. If it mattered to me that much I wouldn't have bought the truck in the first place. I had to make it clear, while everyone bashed Dodge about "bad quaility", that Ford isn't perfect either. It's all perception like I stated before. Do you think Dodge and GM go the extra mile to make everything perfect on an assembled vehicle? Of course not, and Ford doesn't either. Get off my case.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:10 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
Dude, if you don't like what I have to say, don't read my posts. Secondly, I was not bashing Ford for the sloppy pinstriping. Just stating a fact. If it mattered to me that much I wouldn't have bought the truck in the first place. I had to make it clear, while everyone bashed Dodge about "bad quaility", that Ford isn't perfect either. It's all perception like I stated before. Do you think Dodge and GM go the extra mile to make everything perfect on an assembled vehicle? Of course not, and Ford doesn't either. Get off my case.
Dude, its not that I dont like what you have to say, its the fact that you are nitpicking a very small detail that does not apply to All Fords. Ok thats how I stand, and you are free to express your opinion but just be prepared for the Consequences I.E. like mine . Im guilty of "Nitpicking" also .

Simmerdownaw

Old 04-25-2007, 01:38 PM
DD1684
Elder User
Originally Posted by jvoigt
Dude, its not that I dont like what you have to say, its the fact that you are nitpicking a very small detail that does not apply to All Fords. Ok thats how I stand, and you are free to express your opinion but just be prepared for the Consequences I.E. like mine . Im guilty of "Nitpicking" also .

Simmerdownaw
I completely agree with you on that. I've seen plenty of Super Dutys with good striping. It isn't a really big deal to me, and I hardly ever notice. I just thought I'd point it out for fair comparison against other trucks when some of these guys talk about fit and finish of other trucks being so crappy. I can't blame you for nitpicking the scratch on your hood caused by a foolish bicyclist though. Sorry to hear that. Some people just don't care. My truck is full of scratches (black), and I'd still be pissed!

Old 04-25-2007, 02:40 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
Yeah....those scratch's on my hood were hard to get over , but its not like the rest of my truck doesnt have any scratch's...so as long as I wax and buff they are not as noticable. I guess I should be happy that I have a very nice reliable truck but its funny how easy someone else can come along and ruin your day.....but its all good now .

Old 04-25-2007, 11:15 PM
mstan
Freshman User
John, if I were you, and I am similar in that I also drive a F-250SD. And I tow around 15,500 pounds. I installed airbags on it to help the suspension deal. I would go and tow with that 6.4L before I made my final decision. I drove the dodge 5.9 auto and was somewhat pleased. But I have 4 friends who have purchased F-450's with both 488 and 430 gears. All of them are of the same opinon the new 6.4 is just not all that. One of them has already after 8K miles is trading it in. I personally went and drove the F450 with 488 gears. DISSAPOINTMENT! MY 6.0 responds much quicker in my opinion.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:16 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by mstan
John, if I were you, and I am similar in that I also drive a F-250SD. And I tow around 15,500 pounds. I installed airbags on it to help the suspension deal. I would go and tow with that 6.4L before I made my final decision. I drove the dodge 5.9 auto and was somewhat pleased. But I have 4 friends who have purchased F-450's with both 488 and 430 gears. All of them are of the same opinon the new 6.4 is just not all that. One of them has already after 8K miles is trading it in. I personally went and drove the F450 with 488 gears. DISSAPOINTMENT! MY 6.0 responds much quicker in my opinion.
dude! you have some un Believable friends! I only have a handfull of friends with 6.0s, and they've been out for several years, yet you have no less than 4 friends with a truck that's been out for a few months...

Bull snot.

My dealer is one of the largest in NorCal and has yet to have a 450 to test drive, sure there's been ordered ones thru there...

At least try to make up a believable story, uh, okay?

loser.

Last edited by diesel_dan; 04-26-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:59 AM
kimminau2
Elder User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
dude! you have some un Believable friends! I only have a handfull of friends with 6.0s, and they've been out for several years, yet you have no less than 4 friends with a truck that's been out for a few months...

Bull snot.

My dealer is one of the largest in NorCal and has yet to have a 450 to test drive, sure there's been ordered ones thru there...

At least try to make up a believable story, uh, okay?

loser.
LMAO...thanks for calling him out on that DD, good job!

Old 04-26-2007, 08:57 AM
mstan
Freshman User
Mr. Diesel Dan, I understand that this being the internet that you do not know me. I can respect that. But the fact still remains I have 4 friends wihich currently own them. Call "Extreme Offroad" in Lake Charles, La. and speak with the owner. Ask him what he thinks of his F-450 FX4. This man pulls a car hauler to all the 4x4 shows in the area. He builds custom trucks. Call Kyle investments in Westlake, La. He hauls a race car trailer. If these 2 references do not convience you then what can I say. I have been a true blue Ford guy for some time now. My first truck was a ford. My cars are ford. This is not been easy for me. Oh by the way I also have several friends who own 6.0 SD as well. I guess I am just lucky huh? LOL

Quick Reply: Test Drive: 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7