Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining Power Steering Fix!!!

Old 05-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Get a pump from a junkyard and mock it in place, if it doesn't fit, sell it. You might need custom hoses made if it does fit.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Rentaro
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rscotth
Just did the conversion today on a 1991 F-150 4X4- actually in in the middle of a major doing a 5.0HO install and new trans. Ordered the part# 20-6244 for $49.95 and the stock pressure line ended up being the correct size. Pretty easy install and rented the puller from the same advanced. That puller is worth it's weight in gold and I'm tempted to just keep it for any future work.
Once I get this all back together I'll let you know the results. I am really looking forward to a stronger system since I did the double idler Bullet proof steering it has whined in protest and severly needed a stronger pump. Thanks for the thread guys...............
Anyone know what is this double idler Bullet proof steering? Any links or information? about to do some steering upgrades to my F250. I will be going out to my local wrecking yard and looking the vans over for the Saginaw pump/bracket/pulley/pressure line.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:18 AM
andyman1
Junior User
Hi everyone, Does anyone know if I use a caned ham style 85 E series saginaw pump and put it on my 85 F150 truck what hose will i need? I realize im in a newer thread but maybe someone can point me in correct direction. Thank You in advance

Old 12-13-2014, 02:32 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You need the bracket from the van too.
I used the van hose and made some bends to replicate the truck style 'S' curve.

This is topical because I changed my pump yesterday due to a leaking shaft seal.
The Lifetime 'Magnipure filtration' 20-7878F pump was on sale at Advance for $40.99 and I couldn't take mine apart and rebuild it for that price.

ETA, I have pic's in this thread; https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...questions.html

Old 12-13-2014, 07:03 PM
andyman1
Junior User
OUTSTANDING THANK YOU! I'm thinking about not using the van power steering bracket and using billet bracketry
Ford 289 302 351W Saginaw Power Steering Bracket Billet Aluminum SBF V-Belt

eBay item number:

I already have a march serpentine belt conversion kit but the power steering bracketry wont work on the stock pump nor will it work on the saginaw pump. Do you think this will work for me with the saginaw swap?

Old 12-14-2014, 03:29 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Originally Posted by andyman1
I already have a march serpentine belt conversion kit but the power steering bracketry wont work on the stock pump nor will it work on the saginaw pump. Do you think this will work for me with the saginaw swap?
I'm sorry andyman, I have no idea if that bracket will work with your March pulley setup.

It does look like a chrome reservoir Saginaw in the listing.
There are only two of the three bolts used in the front mounting in that picture.
Ford Saginaw's do not have a nut to hold the pulley on the shaft, so that pump must be for some other application.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:29 PM
andyman1
Junior User
Yes i agree ArdWrknTrk the pic in photo shows the GM style saginaw style pump and i would not be interested in the chrome pump, just a nice black pump would safice for me. Im thinkin if i get a 85' van pump which will still have the press style pulley on the pump, which my march pulley should fit rite on. this is because the serpentine belt conversion which is for older ford, fit on my 85' press style pump. So I may gamble and put this on my spring MOD list. Gotta tell da wife things I would like in advance and she is WAY COOL with it. Hell i have a 82 F250 XL i just called on today... has origanal paint, and 68,000 original miles, original owner, 351w, 4 speed, 4x4

...... so, told my wife.... she said looks like a good buy, and if THATs what makes you happy,....get it!!! ........O...M....G.... my wife rocks! lol this is her car we ORDERED february of 13'

14' Shelby GT500. stripe delete. only option shaker pro. assuming its rare how its optioned or lack of options. lol. That's a whole different story lol the things i do so i can live in my 80-86 ford truck world! lol O and the Shelby FLIES! she lets me beat up on it now -n- then lol

Old 12-14-2014, 11:28 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
On what years doess the Saginaw swap work as a direct replacement without the bracket from the E series van?

Why do some swaps require the van bracket and some don't (as in the OP)?

Old 12-15-2014, 01:20 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

None.

The OP is talking about a modified pump that Cardone used to make and was also sold by NAPA under their own number.

Cardone took a GM style Saginaw pump and attached a 'U' (horseshoe) style adapter that mated to the three hole front mount of a Ford, and ALSO used a specially made extended pump shaft that had the correct diameter to install the press on style Ford pulley.
This 3/4" shaft extension put the pulleys into alignment for belt routing.

This pump has not been produced for at least five years.
I was the one who found that NAPA had old stock in some remote warehouses.

The Ford van pump has its own mounting AND uses a larger shaft diameter.
The C2 pulley will not press on.
The van Saginaw pulley is NLA.
But there is no issue adapting a pressure hose to fit.

Otherwise, some '70's trucks used a Saginaw variant.
But FE style mounts do not fit the 460 -or- the Windsor series engines.
... and the pulley you'd need is unobtainable.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:17 AM
andyman1
Junior User
ArdWrknTrk if i understand you rite, your saying that the van pump has a larger diameter shaft and my stock 85 pulley wont press on, correct? what size IS the van shaft compared to the stock 85 shaft? if the van pump shaft is larger, one could always ream out the stock 85 pulley for a press fit to fit the vans pumps larger shaft im thinking. also ArdWrknTrk, you said i cant go to the parts store and get a new pump??? now what will i do....

Old 12-15-2014, 07:37 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

The stock pulley is stamped metal and a steel hub.
You cannot ream them out to size. (and it's an interference fit)

Your billet pulley should be able to be machined.

You can of course get a van pump!
You can no longer get the Cardone modified pump.

As less and less of these bullnose trucks are on the road, demand for a pump that could deal with lifts and huge tires waned.
Why would Cardone make more production runs of special brackets and extended shafts if they were only selling a few a month???

The fact that Saginaws do not whine or puke fluid if you turn the wheel with the engine off is just a bonus.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:52 AM
andyman1
Junior User
The stock pulley is stamped metal and a steel hub.
You cannot ream them out to size. (and it's an interference fit)

Huh... i learn somethin new every day.

Your billet pulley should be able to be machined.

awesome

You can of course get a van pump!

this is what i will most likely do.

You can no longer get the Cardone modified pump.

that sucks..

As less and less of these bullnose trucks are on the road, demand for a pump that could deal with lifts and huge tires waned.
Why would Cardone make more production runs of special brackets and extended shafts if they were only selling a few a month???

yes i totally understand. There just is not the demand anymore.

The fact that Saginaws do not whine or puke fluid if you turn the wheel with the engine off is just a bonus.

you got that rite!!! the fluid puking pisses a guy off

So i guess i will be ordering a van pump and figuring out what size to machine my billet pulley for a press fit........

Old 12-15-2014, 08:12 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 759 Likes on 541 Posts
Just for the info, let me say, a fellow FTE'er & I went recently to pull-a-part & nabbed a Saginaw pump & bracket from a 95 E-250 with 5.8 (may have mounting holes for 5.0) The pump face is very different & specific for the bracket than my no longer sourced Cardone pump. However, Rock Auto has nearly a dozen different replacements for it. And the sample pics are accurate too.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:20 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

This is why you need the pump AND bracket from a van.

I have side by side pictures of my C2 and the E350 Saginaw in my linked thread.

The old Cardone 20-6244 had an adapter boss and extended shaft with the press fit for a Ford C2 pulley.
A van pulley will not fit the Cardone pump.

David, are you saying that RockAuto may have the old Cardone pumps?
I know they buy up all kinds of old stock from dealers and warehouses.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 759 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
This is why you need the pump AND bracket from a van.
No doubt. I have no idea how that'll work with anything March, though.

I have side by side pictures of my C2 and the E350 Saginaw in my linked thread.
Not sure how far back that is... Heck, I don't even know what exactly I've got on this thread.

The old Cardone 20-6244 had an adapter boss and extended shaft with the press fit for a Ford C2 pulley.
A van pulley will not fit the Cardone pump.
I have the 95 pulley pulled off & I think I have the original pump (C2? does that mean corporate (Ford) #2 pump?) and I'd like to mike their shafts. for comparison.

David, are you saying that RockAuto may have the old Cardone pumps?
No. They have an overabundance of the van pumps. And from the pictures you can see the differences in the discontinued Cardone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whining Power Steering Fix!!!