6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Upfitter Pigtails

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 08:07 PM
BIG2NA
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, rear cargo bed lights, also rear halogen back up lamps etc...

BIG2NA

Old 04-12-2007, 07:05 PM
BIG2NA
New User
Smile

Hey Strut61 Just wondering where you purchased and mounted the 55 watt back up lamps??
Also I guess you ran the wires down the frame to the new upfitter switch and tied in with the larger amp switch??
Any help or pictures would be great.
Thanks,
BIG2NA.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Strut61
Senior User
Bought some 55 watt'ers from Wal-Mart, about 3" round. Then went to Lowes and bought 2 Pipe hanger clamps @ $0.72 each. These clamps I fastened to the tube steel on my trailer hitch ends. The threaded the wire along the frame rail using zip ties occassionally as needed. Poked a hole in the rubber boot just above the wiring harness where it enteres the cab, (Forgot to add a disconnect in case of cab off repairs). Then I tapped it in to the 15 amp circuit #4 upfitter.........Works like a champ!

Old 04-12-2007, 07:47 PM
BIG2NA
New User
Wow, That was a fast response with detail and a picture, you're right very clean install and man are they bright!!
Thanks again for your help, I am hoping that my switch comes tomorrow or Monday, In the mean time I'll be on the lookout for some 55 watt Lights.
BIG2NA..

Old 04-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Strut61
Senior User
It ends up that they are fairly well protected where they are mounted too....The install didn't take long either. No holes to drill yadda yadda...One of the biggest pains was fishing the wire through the rubber boot at the firewall.

Lights were $19, mounts were $0.72 each, wire and zip ties I had. Had to fish around in my tool box for 2 extra 1/4 X 20 bolts.....rest was simple.

Thanks, I thought it looked good too, and yes they are pretty bright!

Last edited by Strut61; 04-12-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:33 AM
BIG2NA
New User
Hey Strut received my switch today from Ford, now I am just looking for connector behind dash to plug into upfitter switches??
Any idea where thet would be hiding that??
After I plug it in I will find the other 4 wires I hope!!!

Old 04-16-2007, 01:31 PM
BIG2NA
New User
Well I Looked today behind dash pulled out entire cluster found nothing to plug into new upfitter switch.
I am waiting form someone from Ford to let me know if all trucks are wired in harness for addition of switch to just be plugged in.
I also looked for 4 relays under dash and did not see them either??
I am wondering if it's not wired at all.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
BIG2NA.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Strut61
Senior User
Sorry BIG2NA, I'm not familiar with where they connect in to, I'd really have to rip things apart and look as you did. I'll do some looking tonight after work...

Old 04-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Banksstroker
Junior User
I will start by saying, that I am no electrical wiz but I do piddle with the stuff. Here goes. For those of you that do not know, the first two switches (1 & 2) are 30 Amp rated switches and switch a total of 30 amps of power. The second two switches ( 3 & 4) switch 10 amps of power. If you are in need of power for an accessory that is less than 10 amps or less than 30 then you can use this upfitter pigtail for your power supply. You will still have to ground your device though. Remember that the switches only switch power with the ignition on. Any device that you intend to run with the engine off needs to be switched elsewhere. Also, just because you have the capacity for 30 A and 10 A, does not mean that the pigtails will fry your 5 A device. Your device will only pull what it needs if that is 2 amps, then it will only take that much. Therefore if I had a 2 amp device, I would probably use a 10A switch to save a 30 amp for something with more drain. There is little need to locate the relays for these switches, remember the purpose of a relay is to protect a switch. Most switches cannot handle the amperage fluctuations provided by a 12 V electrical system. Therefore, the relay does the lifting and the switch only tells the relay to provide the power. Similarly, I have two sets of devices, a set of driving lights on the front, and a set of back up lights on the rear. What I have done is taken the wire from the pigtail and wired it into the switch side of the relays on my aftermarket wiring harnesses to supply the power to the relay that came with the aftermarket wiring harness and removing the aftermarket switch from the equation. The purpose of this is two fold, first to eliminate switches other than upfitter switches, and second is because I had to wire directly to the battery these devices because they both draw more than 30 amps. Good luck, and I hope your accessorization goes well.

PS- Here is another tip. If your accessory comes with a wiring harness of its own or a factory fuse location, look at the fuse. If it is less than 30 Amps or less than 10 Amps, you can wire it direct to the 10 amp or 30 amp pigtail for power instead of going all the way to the battery. A great place to ground things is under the driver side kick panel (it just pulls up and snaps back in place). Try a self tapping screw and either strip your wire long or crimp a ring terminal on and drill it through the floor...put your kick panel back and you are done. I recommend if you are adding several accessories buying an accessory fuse panel. Painless Wiring makes a great 7- 20 amp fuses one with 3 switched with ignition, and 4 constant 12V..this will keep you from having to run back to the battery often. Oh, and if you are going to use a wiring harness with its own relays, remember that usually power is being switched. There are usually 4 wires going into a relay 1. power in, 2. power out, 3. ground in/out (one terminal), and a 4. switched lead. These can be in different locations on the relay, but trace back the wires on the supplied harness and you can pretty well tell what each wire is. The switched lead or power direct from the upfitter switch (on my truck) tells the relay to send power to from the power in to the power out lead to the device.

Banksstroker

Last edited by Banksstroker; 04-16-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:28 PM
SpeedE55
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BIG2NA
Well I Looked today behind dash pulled out entire cluster found nothing to plug into new upfitter switch.
I am waiting form someone from Ford to let me know if all trucks are wired in harness for addition of switch to just be plugged in.
I also looked for 4 relays under dash and did not see them either??
I am wondering if it's not wired at all.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
BIG2NA.
Upfitter relays are located in the relay panel in the engine compartment on the drivers side. You won't find them under the dash. Look in your owners manual for a schematic of each relay to see if yours are there or not.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Strut61
Senior User
Thanks Speed, Cold and sloppy here in central Pa today....some area with 14" of snow. I have about 5", wife woke me up at 0320 as the power went out. Power back on at 1700.

Not gonna go out and crawl around the truck tonight sorry, cold and tired, just got home a little bit ago.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:37 PM
BIG2NA
New User
Ok, Get some rest,
For anyone looking to add the upfitter option I have some part numbers for you.
Switch assembly on dash # 7C3Z13D730AA
Harness to attach from switch to plug under dash is part # 7C3F14A303D.
I will get harness on Wednesday after waiting for switch when I got it found out I needed harness also. Just need to find 4 wires under steering column now!!!!
BIG2NA.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:09 AM
teemeup
New User
Can anyone help locate the upfitter connection on 2005 F250. I am looking add rear lighting and want to us upfitter # 3. I believe the connection block is located the behind the glove box. Any assistance would be grateful. Thanks Lon

Old 06-15-2007, 02:58 PM
SpeedE55
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by teemeup
Can anyone help locate the upfitter connection on 2005 F250. I am looking add rear lighting and want to us upfitter # 3. I believe the connection block is located the behind the glove box. Any assistance would be grateful. Thanks Lon
The wiring harness pigtail to use the upfitter switches will have 4 wires (1 for each switch) taped together from the factory and they should be located somewhere near the steering column and tucked up and out of the way. They can be tricky to spot, but they're there!

Old 06-15-2007, 05:49 PM
jam105
Senior User
Originally Posted by BIG2NA
Ok, Get some rest,
For anyone looking to add the upfitter option I have some part numbers for you.
Switch assembly on dash # 7C3Z13D730AA
Harness to attach from switch to plug under dash is part # 7C3F14A303D.
I will get harness on Wednesday after waiting for switch when I got it found out I needed harness also. Just need to find 4 wires under steering column now!!!!
BIG2NA.
What is the price for both parts?

Quick Reply: Upfitter Pigtails