Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Leaking transfer case

Old 01-23-2002, 01:53 PM
tombob
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking transfer case

I have a 1980 Bronco with 87,000 miles on it. I recently had the rear seal on the transfer case replaced. i'm not sure if I am using hte corret terminolgy, but the seal was replaced the rear drive shaft runs through. For a couple of hundred miles there was not a drop of fluid and then after a twenty mile drive and parking it overnight, there were a few drops of tranny fluid. It appeared asa if the fluid had ooozed from the drain plug. The weather had turned extemely cold overnight. I thought perhaps the mechanic had not properly tightened the drain plug, so I gave the plug a turn and it seemed to be tight.

Everything was fine for a couple more weeks until I took it for a drive this past Sunday (about thirty miles) and this time I noticed a few drops of tranny fluid under the area where the rear drive shaft protrudes from the transfer case.

Any ideas? Could the fact that the Bronco spends the week sitting and is only used on weekends have anything to do with this? How about sudden changes in temperature form balmy to cold? What other gaskets could be leaking? The fact that the leaking is intermittent has me puzzled. It does not seem to leak when it is setting.

Old 01-23-2002, 04:55 PM
Chuck P.
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking transfer case

Could be a few things, did you have the stub shaft de-burred and checked for gauling, ridges or other wear damage? If you have a nick in the seal area of the shaft, this could possibly cause an intermittant/slight leak. Depending on the 'case, it could also be the front seal, 208's are well known for this. Can you see the vent for the 'case? It would be nice if it could be as simple as it's slightly overfilled and when run and warmed completely it's pushing a few drops out the breather. Usually these are above the rear output shaft, back on the housing itself. One other place to inspect is the speedo drive housing which is usually on the side of the rear output, a small leak here could put some fluid down there, maybe it got nudged or disturbed when the seal was done. If all else fails, take some degreaser and clean the 'case, then run it and as soon as you get back throw some talcum powder on it, this will leave a trail right back to the place the fluid is coming from. Letting it sit for a period of time will not cause any problems with seals unless your talking many moons/years.