1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Extended cab and baby seat.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:49 AM
LXguy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Extended cab and baby seat.

Hey All:

I'm getting ready to buy an extended cab super duty, but I'm worried about putting baby seats in the back of the extended cab (fitment, etc). Does anyone do this and have suggestions?

I noticed that the rear seats in Super Duty trucks don't have LATCH tethers in the rear at all.

Thanks!

Steve

Old 04-09-2007, 01:25 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a crew cab but my dad has an x-tra cab GMC which is smaller than the SD and i have put the kids car seats in it many times

Old 04-09-2007, 01:30 PM
philips
Tuned
Received 107 Likes on 70 Posts
If you can at all, jump up to the crew cab. Philip.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:34 PM
LXguy
Freshman User
I really don't want a crew cab if I can help it. The super cab is probably too big of a truck as it is, but I really want a diesel engine.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:38 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
With my 2000 SC, forward facing car seats were no problem, if you need a rearward facing (baby less than a year), then only the centre spot will work and its tight. I found with 2 seats forward facing, they had to be on each side. Three seats wouldnt work very well, they would have to be small seats.

I now have a CC. I agree a CC is better, but I dont think they have the LATCH system either yet, least my 05 doesnt. My CC came with all three high point brackets attached and it works well with forward and rearward. 2 seats across is best, three is too tight,.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:45 PM
LXguy
Freshman User
Thanks very much. Very soon, I'll have two forward facers.

It probably helps that I'm short so my seat will be pushed waaay up to the front. Heh.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:45 PM
philips
Tuned
Received 107 Likes on 70 Posts
I am not sure what intensions you have for this truck or how you are going to use it, but unless you have to pull alot of weight and often, I would opt for a gas F250 (V10 if you pull heavy) crew cab or F150 crew cab. I have two children that ride in my truck at least 8 times a week and I am glad I got the crew cab. Remember, as they get older, they get bigger. The crew cab also allows you to fit into the back seat with them while you buckle them in. Personally, I think the diesel is overated, and may not be the worthy of the deciding factor between a F250 diesel super cab and F150 crew cab. Best of luck on your decison. Philip.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:51 PM
LXguy
Freshman User
Philips:

Thanks for the advice. I don't pull anything really heavy. My last truck was a V10, and while it was great, it depreciated like a fiend and was very hard to sell. I had the same experience with an F150, whereas as best as I can figure, the 7.3 trucks actually appreciated because the price of the new ones got so high.

My wife and I are pretty short. I'll probably be able to get 5 or 6 years out of the truck before I start hearing complaints from back there. Heh.

Steve

Old 04-09-2007, 03:12 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by philips
...personally, I think the diesel is overated, and may not be the worthy of the deciding factor between a F250 diesel super cab and F150 crew cab...
why on earth would you put that in a thread about baby seats....he is not asking for engine reccomendations

Old 04-09-2007, 04:33 PM
sweetpete
Senior User
I have 2 daughters (2.5 years and 10.5 wks) The babyseats are a PITA!! I'd opt for the crew cab also. Admittedly, it would be ALOT easier if they included the attachment points so I didn't have to use the seatbelts all the time.

Good call!!

Old 04-09-2007, 04:44 PM
tazo
Elder User
I have a extended cab and use car seat in the back. They have a tether bracket in the back of the back. I put the seat in the center seat since it is the safest place for my child. When putting it in I kneel on the seat as I pull on the seat belt. It goes in really tight. I also use a booster seat. I put that behind the drivers seat since they need to use the shoulder belt. There definitely is not a lot of room back there but it works fine for small children. The only reason I did not get a crew cab was I need a long bed and the cc is just too long. When going on trips we use the wife's expedition. Lots of room in that thing.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:49 PM
fxstdi
Freshman User
Go for the C/C. I had an extended cab truck and it was o.k. (not great) with only one child. We could put the seat in the center and not kiss the dash. When we had the second and had to move the seats to the sides it was terrible. We now have the crew cab and have more space than we know what to do with. The dog does not even have to ride at my wifes feet anymore, plenty of room in the back seat. As far as the child S.A.S system goes when we talked to our public health nurse she actually told us that the vehicle seat belt system was better to use over the S.A.S system, but manufactures had to come up with a fool proof system because most people were not taking the time to use the seat belts properly to anchor the car seats. Do not know if this is true or not but we have had no troubles using the seat belt even with the rear facing seat. Just my 2 cent worth.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:08 PM
CruiserClass
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought the Supercab truck after 7 years in a regular cab truck due to the baby seat issue.

My son is 22 months old. When he was born we were out of the country, so he rides in a Britax car seat. As you might guess, it is a British contraption that goes from rear facing to forward facing and is supposed to be good through 5 years old. Because of this it is bulky. It doesn't leave a lot of room for his legs.

We also have a much thinner forward-only car seat and it works like a champ in the Supercab. Since it is easier to put him in and out of that one we leave it in my wife's Jeep since she transports him a lot more than I do. When he gets a bit bigger I'll pick up another one of that style and mothball the Britax for the next young'un.

Best thing to do is to take your child seat with you when you go to test drive the truck, strap it in, strap the kid in, imagine doing it repeatedly for years. If it still works for you, go for it.

The Supercab works like a champ for me and I got it for the same reasons you stated. Need child seat room, want a diesel, don't want the length of a crewcab.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Kable Guy
Freshman User
I have a 2004 F250 super cab and i would have to say, there is no room in the back seat area.They always kicking the back of the seats when they sit behind you. Also they will use the center console as a foot rest.Every time you have to get them out, you have to move the front seat backs forward. Imo the crew cab would have been a better fit for our needs.Its been a problem for almost 3.5 years. spend the extra cash and buy a cc