1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

ever burn aviation fuel in your power stroke?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 04:46 PM
DieselFuelOnly
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ever burn aviation fuel in your power stroke?

So what do you think would happen if I burned JP-5 aviation fuel in my 7.3L I know the fuel has a tendency to act like a solvent and may break down some build-up in my fuel system, similarly to biodiesel, but I'm curious to see how it would run.... I would certainly use diesel-kleen or similar for lubrication additive. hmmm

Old 04-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From the Defense Technical Information Center's website:

"None of these tests showed engine failures or excessive wear attributable to the use of kerosene-type aircraft turbine fuels, although slightly reduced fuel injection delivery volumes and lower power output were experienced in most engines, due to lower viscosity and lower heat content of JP-5 and JP-8 compared to DF-2."

In other words, less power and worse fuel economy. Not to mention higher cost, I'm sure.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would be worried what it would do to the plunger in the injector and the injector orings.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:40 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JetA has a lower BTU than number 2 diesel. Also it does not have the lubrication qualities as found in #2. I can get all I want but I dont run it, well at least not in my truck! My furnace loves the stuff. I know of guys that run half and half. Make sure the tax man dont get you....

Old 04-08-2007, 06:21 PM
spidertoy
Senior User
my business partner mixes it in his, (gets it for free) and the only thing that he notices is a decrease in power, but when the cost is right, what would you be willing to give up?

Old 04-08-2007, 06:31 PM
nodakford
Senior User
The Army vehicles use JP-8 with no problems. I knew one guy who ran a mix of 80% Jet-A and 20% Diesel 2 in his cummins with no problems and another ran 100% Jet-A in VW Rabbit with no problems. I'm not sure if I would run straight Jet-A, but I might run some kind of blend.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:16 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so if the price was right (those than can get it free) what is the benefit ? does it clean out the system at all ??

Old 04-09-2007, 12:10 AM
cowboy49
Senior User
ive run jet a several times the past 3 years, no problems yet

Old 04-09-2007, 01:16 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
at what mix %?

Old 04-09-2007, 07:52 AM
firemediceric
Senior User
I blend Jet-A with Waste Veg. Oil and run it in my '99 F-350. As little as 2% Bio-Diesel or Veg. oil will overcome the lack of lubrication.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:56 AM
CARV
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I used to get it for free and would mix 1 quart of motor oil per tank full of Jet A. Ran good and never had a problem.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:24 PM
DieselFuelOnly
Mountain Pass
Sounds like I'm not the only one that can get his hands on some free JP-5. I only come across a gallon or so at a time that would normally get disposed of in a waste tank. I'll definitely start giving it a whirl. I know its a more refined fuel and would result in less power and efficiency, but free fuel is free fuel. I could fuel my truck for life with the amount of fuel that ends up wasted in my place of business.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:54 PM
firemediceric
Senior User
I'll go out on a limb and guess that the fuel is drained to get rid of any water or other contaminates that may have settled out of the fuel. Do you have any concern that these contaminates may cause you a problem in the truck?

Old 04-09-2007, 05:23 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Only fuel that is "certified" can go into an aircraft. If, for any reason, you need to take fuel out of it, it cannot be put back into the plane without extensive additional, again certified, filtration. It's almost always easier and cheaper to just dump it or give it to employees than to set up the holding and filtration necessary to re-use it. Only the VERY largest service facilities will make the investment necessary to re-certify the fuel.

Any lessor place (most any FBO) that services aircraft has some kind of fuel dump that they otherwise just have to pay to have hauled off.

And yes, you are correct, a lot of this is just "sumpings" that have to go somewhere, but anyone with a 55-gallon drum and a pump, filter, and water separator can refine it well-enough to use in a truck.

Besides, what comes out of a jet aircraft's tanks is already a lot cleaner than what you'll pump down at the local truck stop. Remember, not too long ago, it was "FAA Certified" clean.

Pop

Last edited by SpringerPop; 04-09-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:51 PM
kevin265
Junior User
As an aircraft refueler for 2 years, we ran all of our diesel trucks on Jet A. Jet A is what you will get at you airports. Los Angeles busses run on it because it burns cleaner. Jet A is a highly refined diesel, as for filtration, it is filtered when it is loaded on to the tanker that brings it to the airport, it is checked for impurities prior to the truck dropping its load then, filtered when we load the aircraft fuel trucks, and filtered once more as it is pumped in the plane. Oh, have you checked the price per gallon for Jet A? Its quite pricy!

Quick Reply: ever burn aviation fuel in your power stroke?