1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

explorer rearend swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 09:11 PM
bkntym
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question explorer rearend swap

I just got a 97 explorer rearend w/disc breaks. My present setup is mopar frontend w/disc, stock rear w/drums. The booster and pedel setup is from a 85 F150 which seemed to work fine around the yard. My ?? is with the disc in the rear as well , will the same booster do the job ? Will I need to get a different proportioning valve or a different booster setup all together ? The truck is a 54 MERC. I'm not much of a poster but I read them every couple of days. I must thank many of you as I have been learning so much about my truck from this sight. This truck racket can get very $$$$$ and this info is just like scoring a major deal on a part you've been looking for.
TKS DAN

Old 04-06-2007, 07:21 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
To change from disc/drum to disc/disc, your booster will be fine, but you'll have to change the master cylinder and also the proportioning valve. Really, disc brakes on these old trucks are a little overkill because of the low weight on the rear tires.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:10 PM
bkntym
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Jeff

I was looking for a rearend and this one came up so I'll use it. What mst cyl and pro valve do you suggest ? Should I try to get the same one from the wrecked EXPLORER ?
Thanks Again DAN

Old 04-06-2007, 07:15 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bkntym
Thanks Jeff

I was looking for a rearend and this one came up so I'll use it. What mst cyl and pro valve do you suggest ? Should I try to get the same one from the wrecked EXPLORER ?
Thanks Again DAN
The MC from the Explorer would probably work, though I would go with an adjustable proportioning valve. That way you can increase or decrease rear braking to fine tune it.