1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Need Help on Lift and tire Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 01:24 PM
TJM70
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the main thing i have disliked about this site since i joined. Most of the people here are very nice and helpful, however, when it comes to this subject (body lifts) people are always quick to begin slandering and flaming. I don't have a lift on my truck atm, i'm going to get one...i have 2grand saved up to spend and cash is limitied seeing as i am in school and can't do to much work. I saved up the 2 grand for a 6 inch kit from fabtech but i doubt i'm going to buy it. I thought about getting the body lift and 35's which seems to be the best option in my situation when money is limited. Either lift in my opinion is nice...yea suspension lifts are nicer. Shouldn't they be when they are 10 times more? But in my opinion if smeone wants a body lift they shouldn't be flamed for having one or anything...they aren't ugly, yea there are gaps, and there are GAP GUARDS to cover them. If people just want to be able to clear bigger tires, then a body lift is a good choice. Yes susp lifts may be better for off-roading but like previously said the only way to raise axles is bigger tires (which body lifts allow). And body lifts do not decrease ride quality...suspension is not bothered only the body is raised, ride quality stays the same. SUSPENSION LIFTS DECREASE RIDE QUALITY A LOT MORE THAN A BODY LIFT. However, both lifts have there pros and cons...I just don't think so much slandering should be done about body lifts, if you don't like them it's your opinion, that's find but don't cry about them. Don't put them on your truck but don't tell other people they will look horrible on their truck.

Just an added note...
I have decided to go with neither body or susp. lift and get torsion keys and run 315's or 305's (no i don't use stock rims) whatever i can fit without to much rub. And plan to use the rest of my cash on some new speakers and some added power and gas mileage : ).

Later,
TJ

Old 04-08-2007, 03:24 PM
monster buck
Junior User
Originally Posted by TJenks
Ok Im just curious what size shot of nos your running and do you really plan on squirtting that large and keeping the block in one piece?
I am running a 150hp wet shot, for two years now. I take good care of my truck and studied very hard on how to run it properly. I use wot, low fuel pressure cutoff, colderplugs....and know when and when not to shoot. I Hope
I don't break it for a while, but I can put in two crate 5.4's for the price of a supercharger that gives me the same hp. I don't want the hp all the time like you have with a supercharger, so this works great for me.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:31 PM
monster buck
Junior User
Originally Posted by liquid 1
Thats sweeet is it free to play.., looks like Nags head NC but we cant use it ..its just for foot traffic only..errrr, the closest playground we have is in the mtn, and its cliffs and big rocks..lots of fun, if you can keep from rolling over.....lol
close to free, state park sticker and an orv sticker. I have seen it all there.
from monster trucks to rigs being held together with bailing wire. It is a huge party on the holiday weekends. I like it then the most. Many like it to themselves, me, I like to party at the same time. During the afternoon we line up by the lake (michigan)with our rigs and bbq, you should see the view.

another thing that is great, nothing on the truck to clean when you leave.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:05 PM
liquid 1
Senior User
TMJ70, If you go with the 2" keys go with the 295, 305 you should be fine maybe minor trimming depending on rim offsets, instead of the 315, they touched the inside fender well when turning and hit the front valance hard as well, Thats all I was planning on doing was the 2" torsion key only, But I could,nt turn down the price I got the 315/70R/17 goodyears for, It was cheaper for me to go up 3" with a body lift which Im glad I did the hight really makes it look and feel good, to get good clearance then down step a tire size, I got the goodyears new for $137.00 each mounted and balanced..Thanks to a friend that works for them...we did a little horse tradeing as well
Monster Buck Im with ya on the view..get yourself one of these and you,ll have a blast with it as well...It will run 45+MPH 2 speed tranny..with reverse..I love it..

Old 04-08-2007, 06:07 PM
zman764
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nobody was slandering or flamming anybody. I recommended a suspension lift over a body lift to a guy because in my personal opinion they are inferior products. They server their purpose. But in my opinion they decrease ride quality. Why because a factory suspension designed to have 30 or 31" tires that gets 35" tires on it, then the suspension is out of its optimal range and cannot perform as good as a factory truck or a suspension lifted truck. I have never seen a truck with a body lift that I could not see the gaps or tell it was a body lift. Yeah body lifts server their purposes for mall crawlers slightly larger tires. But saying that a body lift is almost as good as a suspension lift just because of the price is like saying a Ranger is as good as a Super duty because for the price difference they both allow you to do the same thing, tow a load.
Just don't take it so offensively, no one is degrading your truck because they are comparing 2 products. I don't get upset every time someone asks what engine I have in my truck and I tell them 4.6 and they say ... oh well why on earth didn't you get a 5.4?
This is all just advice to someone asking about lifts.

That being said, all the trucks ya'll posted look nice.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:55 PM
monster buck
Junior User
Originally Posted by zman764
Nobody was slandering or flamming anybody. I recommended a suspension lift over a body lift to a guy because in my personal opinion they are inferior products. They server their purpose. But in my opinion they decrease ride quality. Why because a factory suspension designed to have 30 or 31" tires that gets 35" tires on it, then the suspension is out of its optimal range and cannot perform as good as a factory truck or a suspension lifted truck. I have never seen a truck with a body lift that I could not see the gaps or tell it was a body lift. Yeah body lifts server their purposes for mall crawlers slightly larger tires. But saying that a body lift is almost as good as a suspension lift just because of the price is like saying a Ranger is as good as a Super duty because for the price difference they both allow you to do the same thing, tow a load.
Just don't take it so offensively, no one is degrading your truck because they are comparing 2 products. I don't get upset every time someone asks what engine I have in my truck and I tell them 4.6 and they say ... oh well why on earth didn't you get a 5.4?
This is all just advice to someone asking about lifts.

That being said, all the trucks ya'll posted look nice.
Nobody was slandering or flamming anybody

Dude reread blackstock 's first two sentences of his double post. Then you will see who I was talking about. You must have missed those posts.

I am the one who spoke about flamming and as I said I was specifically refering to blackstock and no one else. Unlike his posts, yours and mine don't comment on people choices like he has. I actually took the time to see his post history. I wondered how so many posts in such short of a time . Then I see that he is a car salesman....thats not his truck........ and he is all over the different boards with opinions that end up in sales.
I'm sure after he reads this there will be some new truck in his gallery that he swears is his.

I read your posts and they are fine opinions. I can't speak for sure but I don't think anyone was refering to you.
Opinions are great, many don't like mine and I don't expect them to, but I keep them about the truck not the people. I love hearing opinions, since that is all anyone here has, including myself, since none of us are the engineers. The opinions help us make the best decisions we can about roads we travel that others have already passed. Again dude, no one was refering to your post.
BTW though since we talkin lifts....body lifts are spacing between the frame and the body not the suspension, but I am sure thats what you meant right?

Its time for this cold wx to go away and for some sun and fun on the dunes.

Last edited by monster buck; 04-08-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:37 PM
zman764
Laughing Gas
Oh yeah I didn't think anybody was referring to me. I just didn't see what all the hub bub was about.
As far as "BTW though since we talkin lifts....body lifts are spacing between the frame and the body not the suspension, but I am sure thats what you meant right?" I'm not sure what I said that you are referrin too, but I make mistakes all the time.
Some dunes would be sweet I live in Charleston SC, the low country. You don't even see a natural hill until you go 200 miles up the interstate then you are 50 feet above sea level instead of 5 ha ha.
All of this being said if I lived where there were sand dunes and I was in high school or in college (as I am now) and strapped for cash I would put a body lift and big tires on a 2wd or 4wd truck in an instant to go play on the dunes.
I'm 19 now and I would never put a body lift on my 4x4 for where I live and what I do. But I have friends w/ bod lifts on their 2wd 150's with 34" tires and they love them serves their purpose, the guy im talkin about can change his spark plugs way quicker than I can do mine too lol.

Monster Buck that silver F150 you showed early on the dunes. They looked like factory wheels but you got 17x8 ProComp 1089 Alloys listed on your signature. Was the pick before the wheels or do they make imitation ford rims ??

Old 04-08-2007, 09:48 PM
monster buck
Junior User
Originally Posted by zman764
Monster Buck that silver F150 you showed early on the dunes. They looked like factory wheels but you got 17x8 ProComp 1089 Alloys listed on your signature. Was the pick before the wheels or do they make imitation ford rims ??
To tell you the truth I have moved my wheel and tire combo's so much I don't remember which is which. I first put my xterrain 35' on the stock wheel. The amount of road driving I was doing was eating them up plus they suck on ice and wet roads without the sipes(which I am not doing aftermarket siping). So I put on the nitto terra grapplers (295's). Awesome tires for everything except deep sand. Then comes into play my xterrains have no home. So I bought some procomp wheels(1089 alloys). The problem....they where only on my truck when I was at the dunes, and those wheels look a lot better than stock to me. So last week I put the 35 xterrain's on my stock wheels and my nittoes on my procomp alloys. Almost as bad as a woman huh?

Last edited by monster buck; 04-08-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:07 PM
zman764
Laughing Gas
Ha Ha if I had the money I'd keep a set of mud terrains, all terrains, and high performance street tires mounted on a set of rims at all times lol. I looked in your gallery and figured it out though. I love ford factory 4x4 rims. I just wish they made them wider like x 10 inches ha ha. I wanted to keep my factory rims so I got Bridgestone Dueler 285x70 17 Allterrain Revo's. Their nice do great on road and in water but haven't had them long enough to have them in the mud yet. My trucks not lifted and my fingers will not fit between the back of the tires and the Torsion bars with the wheels turned.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:26 PM
liquid 1
Senior User
ZMAN, I live the 200 miles north your speaking of just north of charlotte nc, close to the foot of the mtn's,Rocks and cliffs, ruts and hills galore.yee haww...I love it. You live where theres lots of sand and swamp, if you have any type of lift and big tires its better than nothing, Ive worked on HI-LINE Skidders with the 50" and 60" tires and military axles that gets so hot spinning in the muck they snapp off..
SO it depends on what your wanting to do with your truck, If I was to go 4x4 wheeling in your neck of the woods, I would want a Good bumper winch and some awesome jacked up trucks close by..with Tow straps..Im likeing the Idea of getting to the motor and tranny easier, and I cant hear anymore road noise being 3" higher off the chassis, and my truck is as smooth as silk at 90mph as it is at 2mph..the thing will flat fly..It would be hard for me not to do a summersault at WOT out at Monster Bucks playground!!!! I would be hard pressed to practice Throttle control..LOL, Yes my wife tells me I need to grow up!!(Never I Say)..

Last edited by liquid 1; 04-08-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:27 PM
monster buck
Junior User
The nice thing about our fords, they do well right out of the box. My buddy has the revo's and likes them a lot. BTW that is on big azz antenna.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:39 PM
liquid 1
Senior User
good looking truck Zman...Holly Smack your right monster he has got a whopper of a antenna,Monster can you talk to china with the antenna you have straped to the front bumper as well, is that a ham radio or CB.... Ive seen the revos, I almost put them on mine, the pattern is perty ...

Last edited by liquid 1; 04-08-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:06 AM
bla1879
Fleet Mechanic
hey sorry to ask this, but whats flaming? im a

Old 04-11-2007, 08:52 AM
monster buck
Junior User
Originally Posted by bla1879
hey sorry to ask this, but whats flaming? im a
purposefully saying something controversial to start an arguement......ie starting a flame just to watch it burn.....

Old 04-12-2007, 01:12 AM
bla1879
Fleet Mechanic
ah ha, gotchya, makes sense, lol thanks man

Quick Reply: Need Help on Lift and tire Advice